Dogs as children (Read 752 times)

Btw, just went to see "Marley and Me" today....for all you dog lovers, I thought it was a good movie but be prepared to cry!!!! For anyone who has ever had to put down a canine companion, this will re-live those moments all over again...gulp.
    Ugh! Have had to put 2 kitties down, and I know we'll probably have to make that decision about our old guy (18+ years) this year. Undecided Sucks. SRL - Why are doxies more prone to back problems? Is it because they're so long and close to the ground? They do a lot of jumping? Just curious. He's a cutie. And I didn't know there were mini beagles! (((sigh))) If I didn't have my husband, I'd have a dog.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

How is the Frankenwiener doing??
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How is the rascal. I was thinking of him just yesterday...backroadrunner's dog ended up in the vet after being kicked in the mouth by one of their horses. Poor injured pups around RA.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Well, he's two weeks and two days out from surgery. Overall, he's doing great. He's kind of wobbly and it is clear that his back right leg is a bit wonky, but he's moving and eating and pooping and barking and basically being a dog. He also passed all his neuro tests. He got his external stitches out, though he still has internal stitches that don't come out... so he still has his floppy cone to keep him from gnawing the incision. Now, he's supposed to be on restricted movement (doggie bedrest) for two more weeks. Followed by 2-8 weeks of gradually increased exercise. Alas, this is the hardest time. He's feeling better so now he's TRYING to motor around and climb and jump and be a dog. He can't do this or he'll hurt himself again. Very hard. Also, I've tried to crate him at night, but now he barks all night long. After a week of no sleep, I couldn't take it anymore, so I've been sleeping on the floor with him. He loves it and he's quiet. But my back is very VERY unhappy after almost a week on the floor. Plus, I don't know how to handle the long term. He can't climb and jump on/off the bed ever again, he won't sleep quietly in his crate, and I can't sleep on the floor forever. Meanwhile, there's that floppy cone to keep him from gnawing the incision. He wore it for 10 days and then, while I was at a race, he realized that he could gnaw the cone. Here's what I found when I got home Saturday night: Lately, he's been less "the little sweet boy" and more "you little fucker."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awww...sounds like he's in good shape! That picture is funny, though...it looks like disembodied dog head. Like something out of "Mars Attacks!" Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Hey, nice marmot!

Also, I've tried to crate him at night, but now he barks all night long. After a week of no sleep, I couldn't take it anymore, so I've been sleeping on the floor with him. He loves it and he's quiet. But my back is very VERY unhappy after almost a week on the floor. Plus, I don't know how to handle the long term. He can't climb and jump on/off the bed ever again, he won't sleep quietly in his crate, and I can't sleep on the floor forever.
              Would it be possible to put you mattress/matress+box spring on the floor. Then you could still sleep in your "bed" and he wouldn't be far off the ground. Not something you'd want to do indefinitely, but it might do for a couple of weeks. Also, that picture is kind of creeping me out. All you see is a disembodied dog head.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

xor

Heh. Sorry about the dog head. The point of the picture is really the chewed up cone on the right left Smile. Yes, I took apart my bed and now it is just a mattress (not even a box spring) on the floor. I was told by the doctor that for the first 4-8 weeks, even this is too high off the ground for him. So I've been on the floor. Long term, I might be stuck with the mattress on the floor... I'm also going to ikea or dania to look for a regular bed that's low to the floor. Certainly better than the current bed that's high. EXCEPT. Well, he can't get on the high bed, so he won't be up there to jump down. Whereas if I get a low bed, he will be more likely to jump... just not as high. So there's an advantage of keeping my existing high bed. Except at night when I'm trying to figure out what to do with him. So I will likely go with the lower bed.

Hey, nice marmot!

Two words: Space bed Dog + srlopez go in, close flaps, dog has to stay on mattress until morning. Problem solved, with the added benefit that you'd have a freakin' SPACE BED man! I mean, what more could you want. Don't be greedy.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dude...don't fart in the space bed. No one wants to be trapped in there with that! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

pitrunner

srlopez you are the best dog owner ever! Tobias is so lucky to have a dad like you. I'm glad to hear he's doing better and I hope you figure out a sleeping solution soon!
                        srlopez you are the best dog owner ever! Tobias is so lucky to have a dad like you. I'm glad to hear he's doing better and I hope you figure out a sleeping solution soon!
                        ditto that! That is so sweet of you to sleep on the floor with him. He is lucky to have you. I'm glad the little guy is recovering well. I'll keep sending lots of positive thoughts his way.

#artbydmcbride

Good thing for Tobias you don't have an SO right now. Big grin

Runners run

xor

Good thing for Tobias you don't have an SO right now. Big grin
                            Indeed. And. For the first time in my life, I'm down with the wiener.

pitrunner

Oh, I meant to ask you a long time ago...is this Tobias' namesake?
                              xor

I had to open up your post to figure out what you meant because the picture doesn't show... and, yes, my dachshund Tobias J Funky is named after the Arrested Development character Tobias Funke. Smile