Hi! I'm new and bewildered! (Read 1126 times)

Speediest Slug There Is!

I just discovered this wonderful board through the impossible-to-navigate Cool Runnings site and I am beyond excited for all it has to offer. I am new, and slow (but for a slug, I'm pretty fast. I've watched them climbing trees. They have nothing on me.) I took up running, for the first time in my life, roughly two months ago, and it has been an incredible personal transformation. I used to hate running, merely the idea of running, with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. I was the kid who always fell behind in gym class. The only time I ever succeeded in running that required mile, I required knee surgery! It would be accurate to describe my lifestyle up to this point as ''sedentary,'' save some flirtations with martial arts and rollerblading. But for some reason, I decided to try it out. Call it curiosity, or maybe I was just fed up with the pseudo-workouts I was getting from playing Dance Dance Revolution, but for whatever reason, I said, ''Okay, let's do this.'' I've been at the ''Couch 25K Running Plan'' for about 7 Weeks now, and what can I say? It feels amazing. I have never encountered such a thorough, intense, effective way to exercise. I have sampled a lot of different kinds of exercise, and nothing is so effective and lifting my mood and self-confidence and helping me cope with stress as a good run. Since I've totally revamped my eating habits as well, I'm losing weight. Yesterday I set a PR of 2 miles, which is mind-blowing for me. My goal is of course the 5K, so I have some work to do (especially with speed, don't even get me started), but seriously, I cannot believe I actually ran 2 miles. If you had told me at the beginning of my running program, when 90 seconds seemed like an insurmountable challenge, that I was going to be running 2 miles in less than 2 months, I'm not sure I would have believed it. My first running event ever, The Tortoise and the Hare 5K Race, is on the 4th of July. It happens to be my favorite holiday and I can't imagine a better way to celebrate then waking up at 6AM to run 3.1 miles! I have officially lost my freaking mind! So there you go. And here I am. The tools on this website are amazing. I am going to track my runs here from now on and I very much look forward to being a part of your community! Thanks, Christy
    Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    Goals:
    *Complete a 5K (no walking)
    Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
    *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
    *15 mpw base
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good on ya, mate! Welcome aboard. Enjoy the madness. We're all mad here, I'm mad; you're mad.
      Ringmaster

Hi, Christy. It's great, isn't it? Yeah, I used to be sane too. Sane and about 60 pounds overweight. It's good to be loony. Welcome to the crazy house!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
        Mile by Mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Woot, another Michigander...let's get the party started--there must be an empty thread around here to hijack! Wink Welcome, Christy! C25k is a great way to start...a LOT of us around here began that way. Check out the C25k and 1 Hour Runner user group, too. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Welcome! You sound like me about a year and a half ago. Couldn't run, wouldn't run and had no plan to run. Yet here I am still running and loving it. I started running at age 47 though, so I'm progressing slowly but surely. I love how it makes me feel so strong when I run a distance (6 miles!) that I never imagined possible. I knew I was hooked when I promised myself a half marathon for my 50th birthday. You gotta love those endorphins! Lakerunner
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Welcome, Christy!! Everything you wrote applies to me, too. 90 seconds was huge for me. C25k a year and a half ago changed my life! I was 44 when I started - it's cool you're starting so young. Now I can run 11 miles, and I've signed up for a half marathon in September. Ask lots of questions and have fun on RA! Teresa
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Welcome . Starting so young. Can I get you to email my DD. CoolEnjoy.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Hi Christy, Welcome to this great board. I have only been running for 15 weeks, but today I completed my 2nd 5K. This time I was able to run the whole thing, and it was a very hilly course! When I started 15 weeks ago I was running 3 minutes, walking 4. It is amazing to experience the transformations along the way. Enjoy the journey!
                    Hi fellow Michigander! Check out the link in Zoom Zoom's post and join us on the Michigan board! It's great to hear you're enjoying running so much and sounds like you're going about it in a smart way by not doing too much too soon. Congrats for your accomplishments so far!! Stick around this site as there is so much to learn and so many different wonderful people on here. (Translation: It's total addiction-sometimes bordering on needing psychological intervention!) Looking forward to getting to know you! Smile
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(Translation: It's total addiction-sometimes bordering on needing psychological intervention!)
                      I don't have a problem...I can quit any time. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hi! I'm old and bewildered! My first race was also on the 4th of July, it was a 2 miler in Chelmsford, MA and I still love running it every year. Welcome, and good luck with your training. Be sure to post a race report, you get bonus points for pics.

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Speediest Slug There Is!

Welcome . Starting so young. Can I get you to email my DD. CoolEnjoy.
                          Wow, 25 counts as young around here? This place is awesome! Sockoni, I LOVE your mascot!
                          Fall seven times, stand up eight.
                          Goals:
                          *Complete a 5K (no walking)
                          Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
                          *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
                          *15 mpw base

A Saucy Wench

Welcome aboard!!!! Just a warning ...this running thing is addicting as hell. Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Jazz hands!

Wow, 25 counts as young around here? This place is awesome!
                              Well, all the young people are out surfing and hang-gliding and doing their action extreme super cross sports.
                              run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                                Every runner started with the first step. I started at age 46. In two weeks I'll be running my first HM! If you would've told me three years ago that I would be running ONE mile I would've laughed in your face, now I'm routinely running 4-5 miles and long runs of 11-12 miles. Who knew???? Wish I would've started when I was younger. I'm not fast, but I've never been last (although they get cheered almost as much as the first)!! It's the accomplishment, the feeling when you're done. Listen to your body, rest when you're tired. Sometimes when you don't feel like running, just get out there and start and BAM! you have a great run. Oh, and the most important piece of advice. MAKE SURE YOU ARE PROPERLY FITTED FOR GOOD SHOES and a GOOD BRA!! Happy, healthy running to you!!!
                                Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>