2016 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 667 times)

xhristopher

I guess I need to decide soon if I am going to run it or not.

Think of it as giving the BAA $180 to reserve a place for you. You can decide later. While not chump change, forfeiting it isn't a tragedy. Also, you luck out with easy travel arrangements.

Taking it as a long run is also a good time. No need to make it your spring goal.

jfa

I don't think us squeakers (those of us in the -5 group) will find out until September 30th. Stay occupied for a week Smile.

Uh oh

jfa

Hi all! I just stumbled across this community. Can I join? Smile I got my very first Boston acceptance email today, so I'm riding pretty high.

Sure.

Welcome to the Monkey House.

If 2:26 is enough of a cushion I'm in. If not I'll happily do something else. We'll see.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Cyberic

Sent my application this morning.

First timer, BQ-10:12. Couldn't send it last week as I ran the marathon this past Sunday. From what I understand, that should get me in.

MTA: Now I have to figure out where I'll be staying...

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

So...if they notified the first-weekers last week that they had been accepted, pending verification of qualifying time, why can't they do that this week, as well?  Why do they need to wait until after the third week of entries is done - isn't the point of that third week to let people register if there are spots left after this week?  Seems to me they'll know tonight if they are at capacity.  Pending verification of qualifying times, of course.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

mikeymike

They probably already know they're at capacity. My guess is they just don't know exactly where the line will be drawn (BQ minus X) until they verify all the qualifying times. And wherever the line is there will be a LOT of people just on either side of it, so they'd rather wait and do notifications all at once.

Runners run

Dreamn

I would guess that there won't be a 3rd week. Around 5pm, they'll roll out a press release saying that registration will not be reopening, and maybe even announce the 2017 window. And then they will still take until next week to announce the cutoff.

So...if they notified the first-weekers last week that they had been accepted, pending verification of qualifying time, why can't they do that this week, as well?  Why do they need to wait until after the third week of entries is done - isn't the point of that third week to let people register if there are spots left after this week?  Seems to me they'll know tonight if they are at capacity.  Pending verification of qualifying times, of course.

BQ -2:04.  I'm just going to pound out the miles for the next week so I'm too tired to worry about it...

Cyberic

I would guess that there won't be a 3rd week. Around 5pm, they'll roll out a press release saying that registration will not be reopening, and maybe even announce the 2017 window. And then they will still take until next week to announce the cutoff.

Press release out here

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

^^Yep, saw that.  Good call, Dreamn.

Looks like the times are staying the same for 2017...hoping that's a good sign.

MTA: if nothing else, it means I'll (hopefully) be even faster than my BQ next time I register.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Mostly harmless

Today is the day for all the "on the bubble" folks to find out if we got in.  Best of luck to everyone!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Julia1971

Today is the day for all the "on the bubble" folks to find out if we got in.  Best of luck to everyone!

+1. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear today. May the odds be ever in your favor!

jfa

Game on. I'm in.

If 2:26 is enough of a cushion I'm in. If not I'll happily do something else. We'll see.

Ha. Looks like I'll happily do something else.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.