Hi, I'm new! (Read 661 times)

Hey all. I'm new to the boards/Running Ahead. Thought I would introduce myself. I'm Liz..I'll be 24 in May. I live in Southeastern Mass, a small town named Plympton. I grew up in Brockton, BHS '02 and am a Umass-Amherst Alum '06. I've always been a very athletic person, and decided to try some runs this spring/summer. I've been back running since December. I also plan to do some triathlons and some intense mountain biking as well. I play softball as well. I also ride horses for a living and have another job working with special needs kids. I enjoy being active! I do have a question or two. I've been doing some long runs on Saturdays, and this past Saturday I found by mile 6-7 that I got really fatigued. I finished my 8 miles, and was fine afterward, no soreness and no need for a nap or resting, but I was wondering what you all do for endurance? I have a 10 miler on Feb 17 in Foxboro, and my goal is very generous, 10 minute miles. I've never done a race before so If I can keep a 10 min mile or less, I'll be happy. But I want to be able to do it without that fatigue 3/4 of the way in. I do strength training, I don't know if that works with or against me. Anywho, Hi to all! Look forward to chatting with you/meeting you/running with you!! Liz
    Ringmaster

Hi, Liz. I am one of the least experienced runners on these boards, and I'm sure someone else will come along and give you some better advice, but since you haven't gotten any replies yet, I thought I'd jump in. Are you logging all your runs? I checked your training log and see mostly long runs logged. If that's all you're logging, that's okay, but if that's all you're running, that certainly explains your fatigue. I'd suggest doing some more easy running during the week before you ramp up your mileage on Saturday. Are you hydrating well? I went a long time without eating or drinking anything before my long runs, trusting my pre-run-day hydration to get me through the run, but by the time you hit 8 or 9 miles, it might do you well to get a banana in you before you head out--at least it does me. And I concentrate on drinking water intentionally the day before, almost as if I were prepping for a race. Sure, I make more potty runs, but I sure have noticed a difference on long runs where I haven't hydrated as well. There's more muscle soreness and fatigue right at the 3/4 mark, like you said. Again, my disclaimer--I am an exceptionally new runner here. I'm sure someone will come along and give you better, more experienced advice. There's all kinds of endurance products out there that I haven't tried. But I hope some of this helps a little. modified to add: I don't hydrate mid-run on runs shorter than 10 miles (but I'm extremely new at this!) So when I speak of hydrarating well I want to emphasize that I mean hydrating the day before the long run, and when I speak of increased urination I also mean the day before the run, not during the run. Just clarifying!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

jeffdonahue

It could be a few different things. As mentioned, if all you are doing is long runs, you may want to back off on some of the runs during the week so you get a quality long run in. Also, make sure you are fully hydrated. This doesnt mean you have to bring water with you necessarily but make sure you drink plenty of water before and more importanlty I think the day before the long run. Another question is what you mean by fatigued - do you mean you get an all over tired feeling, or your legs are just tired. It could just be that you are taking it out too fast for the distance you are going. Finally, you might just be out of energy at that point - do you eat anything prior to the run or during the run?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Definitely give us more info. about your eating. I can't run well on an empty stomach...some can, but I'm not one of them. If I don't eat something an hour or so before a run I will be toast after 5 miles--or less. So maybe it's something as simple as that. BTW, nice to have you here, Liz. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Hey Liz, You are being quite ambitious for not having much running experience and doing 8-9 mile long runs when you have been running less than 2 months. Based on the fact you can finish these long runs tells me you have awesome genetics and/or you have an awesome base from other aerobic activity. Caution: Take your time. Why jump into a race of such length so soon. No doubt you can do it but most progress from a 5K and up. Based on your long run paces you will easily break a 10 min pace. Caution 2: You are running your long runs way too fast. I run half marathons under a 7 min pace and my long runs right now are at around 8:30 pace. You are basically racing your long runs or all runs. This is why you are getting tired/fatigued during your long runs in addition to the fact that you are not accustomed to running this far. SLOWLY build your miles with most of your miles be very comfortable or you will teach your body to use your anaerobic system vs. your aerobic system and ultimately halt your progress. You are new to running, don't think you need to do Fartleks, Hills etc at intense pace. Build your running base first then incorporate faster stuff down the road. Run a 5K race. Then do your long runs and most training runs around 2 min per mile pace slower than your avg. pace in the 5K. Good luck!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks for the replies..let's see if I can give you more info.. When I say I'm "new" to running, don't be misled. I have been active all my life, and running is nothing new to me. I just mean I'm new as far as I'm going to be trying some races. I didn't realize I was running too much during the week..I just run, I guess! I am a very committed person, and when I have a goal in mind I put 200% into it, which may be why I am fatiguing. All it was during that 8-mile run was I felt tired all over, I ended up getting a second wind and finishing, but It felt awful for that 1/4 - 1/2 mile that I was tiring. I guess I am a bit too ambitious. I have a hard time running "slow." But I see that it can help me overall, so I will try it! As far as what I eat, I eat before runs and I do hydrate. Hydration could be one of the problems, I don't drink much in the mornings, which is when I run. Mostly because if I drink a lot of water before/during a run I get major cramps. I probably should have started with a 5k, but a friend of mine wanted me to do the 10miler so I said OK. I'm not going to back out of it bc I know I can do it, but I will see how I come out of it and maybe rethink my next race. (My friend wants to do a HM in March). THanks for the input..and if you have any more..I'm all ears!
                Hey all. I'm new to the boards/Running Ahead. Thought I would introduce myself. I'm Liz..I'll be 24 in May. I live in Southeastern Mass, a small town named Plympton. I grew up in Brockton, BHS '02 and am a Umass-Amherst Alum '06. I've always been a very athletic person, and decided to try some runs this spring/summer. I've been back running since December. I also plan to do some triathlons and some intense mountain biking as well. I play softball as well. I also ride horses for a living and have another job working with special needs kids.
                Welcome, Liz! I'm also from MA. Grew up in Somerville/Cambridge. Umass-Boston alum '82 (BA French). I'm pretty new at running, so I can't give you any advice, but there are plenty of friendly experts here. Keep us posted on your training! Paul

SMART Approach

Liz, If you have been running for many years then that makes a big difference. Go for it. Just be smart with your running progression and pacing. Also, on that 10 mile race, use that first mile as an extension of your warm up. Don't go slow but ease into pace. You will perform better if you do.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com