Question about Marathons, the wall, and the pace that gets you there. (Read 1290 times)

On My Horse

I recently did a 20 miler (my first ever!) in preparation for my first marathon. I got through 16 miles just a hair under 2 hours (literally, like 1:59:55) which was 7:30 pace. I ended up running 36Tight lippedx over the last four (and change) miles. Obviously I died pretty badly. I was wondering, why that happened though. 7:30 is probably a smidge faster than my "easy" pace, but I was feeling pretty fresh at mile 16, it was just I started struggling through mile 17, then had to start jogging pretty slowly. I was feeling absolutely fine through 16 miles, I would not have said I was pushing it at all. Now, that is probably not the kind of thing I want to have happen on race day. Is running a more conservative pace, like 8:00 mile, going to be a better idea? I feel like 8:00 isn't really any easier than 7:30 is, would I still end up dieing off 8:00 pace? I always hear people say, don't go out to hard in a marathon, but I don't see how different paces that are all still going to fit into your fitness as "easy" runs are going to have different efficiencies. Does what happened mean 7:30/mile is to hard of a pace for me to run, or did I just "hit the wall" so to speak, and it wouldn't have mattered if I was running 9:00/mile, that was where I was going to get really tired. I'm only about 5 weeks out from my Marathon, so I'll have maybe one or two more quality long runs in me, and I really want to know if running an even more conservative early pace would be a really good idea. If I'm going to die at 16-17 miles no matter what I'm running, I obviously would rather get there in 2:00 as opposed to 2:10, and then I have 10 minutes in the bank. If I could maybe get through the whole thing cruising at 8:00/mile though, that would probably end up being a bit faster. What I'll do is take my next long run at an easier pace and see if I blow up again, but I'd really like to know about this. What makes this even a little bit crazier, a few weeks ago, I did an 18 miler and closed the last two miles in like 14:30, with the last mile right around 7 flat. The pace for that run was overall faster than this one, but the pace through 16 miles was slower. Needless to say I'm a bit confused.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A Saucy Wench

Is your log right in that you've never raced farther than a 3200m? OK basically - the faster you go the higher percentage of calories burned are from glycogen (carbohydrate stores in your muscle). If you train slower, you burn more fat for fuel than if you train faster. If you are going out too fast and crashing that hard you may have run out of glycogen. If you go out slower during the race you burn a little less glycogen and a little more fat every mile than if you go out too fast and you will last longer. Proper fueling also helps i.e. I can run 18+ miles in a training run with no carb intake with no problem because I will usually run 9:45-10:15 pace. In the marathon I ran 8:30 pace, but I did ingest gu.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

On My Horse

Is your log right in that you've never raced farther than a 3200m? OK basically - the faster you go the higher percentage of calories burned are from glycogen (carbohydrate stores in your muscle). If you train slower, you burn more fat for fuel than if you train faster. If you are going out too fast and crashing that hard you may have run out of glycogen. If you go out slower during the race you burn a little less glycogen and a little more fat every mile than if you go out too fast and you will last longer. Proper fueling also helps i.e. I can run 18+ miles in a training run with no carb intake with no problem because I will usually run 9:45-10:15 pace. In the marathon I ran 8:30 pace, but I did ingest gu.
        Ya, I get that, but I don't see how a slower pace, like 9:00/mile, is any more efficient than 8:00/mile pace. You are going to burn the same number of calories/mile at those paces, and it seems like the engaged systems are almost entirely the same, staying as close to purely aerobic as you ever get. I just don't understand the concept of how one easy pace is going to be more efficient than another easy pace, or if that is even the case. I realize I haven't really done the kind of distance you would want for a competitive marathon, so I'm going to be relatively sucky over the last couple of miles, but I don't want to have to start running 9:00/mile pace if I can avoid it. It very well may be I just hit the wall at 17 miles and have to jog in, but if that is the case, I want to get there as fast as possible. Edit: Also, I've done 5ks (probably like 60 of them at this point), 8ks, and a 10k, but all that was before I started logging my miles. I've been running 13+ miles in a sitting semi-regularly (one to two times a month) for the last year, so I'm not completely new to longer distance runs.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Imminent Catastrophe

Father Russia, meet Wall. I'm no exercise physiologist but here's what I've learned, vastly oversimplified: There's a pace called lactate threshold. Run slower than that, you're burning mostly fat which you have days' worth of. Run faster than your LT and you quickly start burning glycogen stored in your muscles and liver, and you only have about 18 miles' worth. (Carb loading is supposed to increase the amount of stored liver glycogen). When you run out of glycogen that's the "wall" and you're screwed. It seems that your lactate threshold is between 7:30 and 8:00/mile. Distance runners spend a lot of time 1)trying to raise their lactate threshold and, 2)learning exactly where their lactate threshold is and being able to run just below it. That's one reason for heart rate monitors--they're a better indicator of lactate threshold than pace. Or maybe you just had a really bad day. MTA: You might think that 7:30 and 8:00 both feel easy. But if your LT is between those two then, believe me, your body knows the difference and has shifted to mostly glycogen. Another reason for the HRM.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

What makes this even a little bit crazier, a few weeks ago, I did an 18 miler and closed the last two miles in like 14:30, with the last mile right around 7 flat. The pace for that run was overall faster than this one, but the pace through 16 miles was slower.
            So, you have two runs. In the first one, you ran 16 slightly slower, then picked it up at the end and felt fresh. In the second one, you ran 16 more quickly, and then kind of blew up at the end. I could be wrong... and generally after a few more people jump in with meaningful responses I tend to be kind of wrong... but it sounds to me like that pace in the first 16 miles of the first run is the pace you'll be wanting to consider as your happy pace in five weeks. BTW, "the wall". You went from 7:30s to somewhere around 9:00s in the second run and it came on suddenly. Yup, you were tired. But my personal experience with the glycogen-depletion wall is going from 8:00 miles to something like 11s and 12s with walking mixed in. And then sitting down.

mikeymike

Sounds like you bonked. What Ennay said. You bonk when you run out of glycogen. Your body has two primary fuel sources: glycogen and fat. You are always buring both, but the ration depends on intensity. The faster you run, the more you rely on glycogen only. There are several ways to extend your glycogen so you can run farther without bonking. 1. Trainining. Lots of easy mileage over the long term will make you more efficient at converting fat for fuel and will increase the pace at which you can run while still using fat. (Mostly too late to have much effect in 5 weeks.) 2. Run slower. The slower you run, the less you rely on glycogen and the more your body can use fat. 3. Take on fuel during the run.

Runners run

It very well may be I just hit the wall at 17 miles and have to jog in, but if that is the case, I want to get there as fast as possible.
                Um, if you read examples of folks hitting the wall, they don't exactly jog it in. Proper fueling is key, as Ennay says. Same as for a car: Your burn more gas speeding than going slower.
                mikeymike

BTW, "the wall". You went from 7:30s to somewhere around 9:00s in the second run and it came on suddenly. Yup, you were tired. But my personal experience with the glycogen-depletion wall is going from 8:00 miles to something like 11s with walking mixed in. And then sitting down.
                  Not for me. It has always been 7's then several high 8's and 9's before the 11's and the walking. If you'd given him another mile or two there would have been some 11's with walking then sitting. Is my guess anyway.

Runners run

xor

Not for me. It has always been 7's then several high 8's and 9's before the 11's and the walking. If you'd given him another mile or two there would have been some 11's with walking then sitting. Is my guess anyway.
                    I'd buy that for sure.

You're undertrained for that distance. About 95%+ of first time marathoners are. With the marathon at 5 weeks out, there is not a lot you can do to fix this. Trying to cram in a bunch of super hard long training runs will just leave you hammered on race day. Glycogen, fluids, and electrolytes could also have been a contributing factor. This could be a really good preparatory experience for you. Think of this: if you had gone another 4 miles the whole thing would have gotten MUCH worse (trust me) So did you maybe have some idea that you were going to start out even faster than that on race day? You've just had a clue that this might not be a good plan. See if you can find a pace somewhat slower than your 20 miler pace and work on it in your short runs. Try to get efficient and relaxed at that pace. It is so easy to get caught up in 30 seconds per mile (like running the first 16 at 8:00) We've all been there: that slowdown adds a whole 10 minutes to my time at mile 20! Unnacceptable! But the consequence of that pace is that you're down to 12 minute miles by mile 22, and slower yet for each mile after. Do the math: this is not a way to get a better finish time. Going at a slower pace will not entirely fix the problem, but it's the best solution you've got right now. And if you think the worst that can happen is to have to drop to 9:00 on race day, you may be in for a high intensity learning experience at mile 23.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah. If I'm just a little fast, I'll go from 8's to 10 to 12 over a few miles. OTOH if I go out way too fast, the collapse happens earlier and very suddenly. Jacksonville '07 comes to mind Dead

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I think this has been the most informative thread I have read yet.

Why is it sideways?

This is another reason why high weekly mileage is so good for marathoners. Because you are always running in a state of some sort of depletion you get really tuned into the way different paces affect you in terms of energy burn and your body learns (I think) to utilize various sources of energy at faster paces. When I was your age, like you, training for high school races, I couldn't have told you the difference between 7:00 pace and 8:00 pace in terms of feel. Now, having experimented with longer distances and higher volume training, I can feel the difference. Run 100 miles in a week, and 7:00 doesn't feel so easy any more. You can learn these differences doing long runs, too, but it just takes longer.

Dave

OK, I have some recent experience with this Big grin In my marathon last fall, I held pace until 24 miles (8:15 or so) and then had to slow down to as slow as 9:40 to finish. I'd say that was a fade but not a bonk. My marathon last weekend, I went out much more aggressively (7:50 or so) and held pace until 21 miles after which I could no longer sustain even a 10 minute pace. The death march after that was 14 minute miles of awfulness. I think I would've had a more gradual bonk if I hadn't been pushing so hard between miles 19 to 21 to hold onto my race pace. But if you push hard enough for long enough, you can hit the wall hard. Really hard. I don't get the feeling that you really have a clear picture of your paces. If you can't hold 7:30 longer than 16, it is probably a bit harder than "a smidge faster than easy". Slowing down, even a little bit, can be the difference between running below your lactate threshold and running above it and crashing. If you were running with a heart rate monitor, I'd be willing to bet your HR started climbing and continued climbing up to and over your lactate threshold after which you bonked. A true marathon pace is one that you can sustain without progressively higher heart rates until you're so far into the race that it doesn't matter and you bonk right at the end.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Why is it sideways?

Okay, for the record, lactic threshold and marathon pace are pretty far apart (LT is roughly the pace you can hold for an hour). Both of which paces are only partially related to questions of fuel burning.