How long did it take you? (Read 1411 times)

PudgyRunner

I've been running only for a couple months now. I've always wanted to run a marathon, but never really gave it a lot of thought. A marathon is my long term goal for now. I know I have a looooong way to go, and I'm starting with my first 5k next month. I'm not going to go from a 5k to marathon either. I've already been looking at other longer races for future reference. Now I know it isn't the same for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that, but my question is: how long from the time you started running, till your first marathon? Just curious.

The Greatest of All Time

For me it was 10 months and 60 lbs. But I could have completed one after about 6 months. No speed work. One 5k. No real hills either. First one out was 3:10 (Chicago 1996). I was 25 at the time by way of comparison and even with all that extra weight I was able to run 2 miles twice a day from the start of training. This was probably because of the running I did in the military. If you have never ran prior to now then it could take you longer. Maybe someone else with no running background that did what you're wanting to do can chime in.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

My legs are killing me

2 years from the time I started running. I think the most fun when your starting out is to conquer distances. I always like the wonderment if I can actually finish a distance without walking. Good luck. Time flys and you'll be running your marathon before you know it.

Right on Hereford...

2001: started running 2006: first (and only) marathon But...a marathon was not my goal when I started running. Also, I never ran very consistently (at least 3 days per week) until around 2004-2005.
          C-R

10 years. Was afraid of the committment. As I hear it thats it a guy thing but hey what do I know since I will never pull over and ask for directions and maps are not needed in my world Big grin Seriously, I didn't run my first until I hit 40 mpw and found a good training program (Higdon was my first one) Slower is better IMHO

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jeffdonahue

For me it was about 10 months as well. I started running in March when I signed up for a 5K with a friend and didnt train for it at all - never hurt so much in all my life after that. I started doing triathlons that summer and came across a brochure for the "Train to End Stroke" where you train for a marathon (I did Disney) and raise money for the Stroke Association and they fly you down there to run. So I started training - by Disney I was addicted.
                In June or July when I was 28, I believe, some guys at work were saying they were going to run one in November (Sun. before Thanksgiving.) So, I started training and did it. Though I had some running background, I was running-inactive for years. I had been doing some biking though. So, we'll say that was six months. I don't think such a "plan" would be "officially" recommended, but it worked for me. Your health, fitness, age, should be considered. I luckily escaped training injury, but I'd advise a good base and solid training.
                  Thirteen years. But when I started running (30 years ago when I was 17), very few people ran marathons--or even half marathons. The focus was all on 10ks and 5ks. Still, it's best not to rush into the marathon distance. You're right to think of building up to it in terms of races. Take a couple years at least.

From the time I started running to my first--7 years. From the time I "re-started" running, to my third...about six months. If I had to do it over, I probably would have waited another year, and trained more so I could build up a good mileage base. But, I was comfortable with the group I was training with, having trained with them for my first two, so I knew what to expect.
                    Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Still, it's best not to rush into the marathon distance. You're right to think of building up to it in terms of races. Take a couple years at least.
                      Yep. I will have been running about 2.5 years when I attempt my first. I had people look at my mileage from last year and ask why I didn't try one in '07. My highest mileage week last year was only about 35 miles. No way would I have plodded my way through a full on that meager training. As it is I think my goal of peaking at 50 miles/week prior to my first marathon seems a little on the light side. I think I'd feel much better prepared to do it with at least 60/week under my belt. Most training plans advise a solid 30 mile/week base for at least 6 months before even starting a training plan, which will usually take 4-5 months. So I'd think a person would need to be running for at least 1.5-2 years to run a marathon well and with minimal risk of injury. Look at my training log, if you'd like. I have never sustained any substantial injury...just relatively minor ones here and there from shoes that weren't well suited for me or dumbass training. I've also been VERY careful with my mileage increases. The faster one increases their mileage the greater they risk injury. I may not run fast or super high miles, but I do run within my abilities and with the intent to keep running, keep able to increase my miles over the long-term, and keep my pudgy ass off the bench. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

20 months I have no regrets, but, in retrospect, would have been better served by working on speed for shorter distances.
                          I started training for my first marathon about 3 1/2 years after I started running. I was like you, I always knew I wanted to do one but I knew I wasn't ready. Then something clicked one day and I decided that I was ready to take on the challenge. You'll probably get 100 people with 100 different answers. You have to go by when YOU know you are ready. How will you know? You just will.
                          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                          JakeKnight

About six weeks. Not really recommended.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

About 30 years. How's that for base-building?

A Saucy Wench

Yep. I will have been running about 2.5 years when I attempt complete my first. Smile
                                fixed. As to the original question...hard to say. I was a casual 2-3 mile lunch time jogger on and off for 6 - 7 years. Run for a few months, stop running, gain some weight, start running again....repeat. I was overweight and out of shape when I got pg with dd. I was still overweight and out of shape a few months after she was born when a few friends decided to charity run phoenix on dd's birthday. I had just come back from maybe my 2nd or 3rd post partum run. Something around 2.5 miles, partially walked. The charity had a free "couch to marathon" program so I thought if THEY thought it was an ok idea, why not? something like 5 months from couch to marathon. Yeah. That was stupid. THEN I got serious, trained for a second mary, was doing well when I tripped and sprained my ankle and by the time I was running again I was pg again. Ran the whole pregnancy, started running 2 weeks post partum and ran a solid marathon right after ds's 1st. birthday This year I have been training well and feel this will be my first marathon that I feel prepared for. And to see if it is possible for me to run a marathon without having had a baby within the past year.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7