How long did it take you? (Read 1411 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You need to go this year. Because I will be there. And I will be sad if Trebek is not.
    Wait a minute...I thought he was Connery...? Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wait a minute...I thought he was Connery...? Confused
      Right you are. Tongue Oops.

Amy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And I'm Turd Ferguson...heh, it's a funny name... Clowning around

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

And I'm Turd Ferguson...heh, it's a funny name... Clowning around
          *snort* That never gets old. MTA: Monkey (or any marathon for that matter) is a low probability this year, but not impossible. We'll see if the day is mine or not.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I had been running for five years when I decided to train for my first marathon. At that point I ramped my mile up to 25 miles a week for a full year and then started training for the marathon. The program I chose was CoolRunning beginners program which peaked at about 45 miles a week which I now consider a bare minimum for a beginning marathoner. You have the right mindset in making your marathon a long term goal. Tom
            Kimmie

5 years. but the first three years of running were made up of pregnancies and I needed to do the elliptical and walk some. good luck and keep moving towards your goal.

Prophet!

6 months. It was painful, but fun!
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We'll see if the day is mine or not.
                  You know, instead of an HTFU bracelet I should get one that says "and the day is mine!" Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Zero. I was 25 and played basketball a couple days a week. At the time, the idea of running seemed ridiculous to me, but the idea of running the LA marathon seemed kind of fun. Bought my shoes a couple days before the race and had absolutely no clue what I was doing. I invented Gallowalking out of necessity . . . being impatient I couldn't bear the idea of a slow trot so I'd sprint for a while, walk or a while. This all worked fine for @15 miles and I was actually on something like a 3-1/2 hour pace. But then reality kicked in. My left knee started locking up and I distinctly remember getting to mile 18, realizing I couldn't run anymore, and that there was eight miles to go I walked it and finished in 5 hours (chuckling to myself that I actually beat people). I'm pretty sure I couldn't walk right for about a week afterward and I didn't run again until a few years ago when I ran a 10k on another whim, watched a large man dressed as the American flag blast past me at mile 4 and got the fever. When asked why I run, I say "shame." Anyway, I ran my 2d marathon about 9 months after that 10k off of Higdon's novice plan. MUCH smarter way to go.

Another Passion

It was 2 years and 4 months for me. The first year and a half or so I wasn't really consistent though.

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

50 halfs by age 50

You know, instead of an HTFU bracelet I should get one that says "and the day is mine!" Wink
                        http://www.reminderband.com

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

I think my answer is complicated. I ran up until I graduated HS and then I stopped for a long time (13 years) and then I slowly got back into it over the course of 4 years, running just here or there. I had never run over 5 miles until March of 2007 when I ran 9 miles for the first time ever. Then a week later I ran my first HM and discovered the meaning of pain. Blush Once I could walk without looking REALLY silly, I realized that I was hooked on running. I ran Broad Street in May (10 miles) and then a trail HM in June, and then I allowed peer pressure to convince me (thanks Pam and Tim) to aim for a September marathon. So, with one 20 mile run behind me I ran my first marathon. I learned a lot that day and I had a wonderful time in the process. This Sunday I'll be running my second marathon (with Pam) and I'm very anxious to see what difference having done more training will bring me on race day.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

http://www.reminderband.com
                            Better yet, it could say HTFU - and the day is mine! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

dfffff

I've been running only for a couple months now. I've always wanted to run a marathon, but never really gave it a lot of thought. A marathon is my long term goal for now. I know I have a looooong way to go, and I'm starting with my first 5k next month. I'm not going to go from a 5k to marathon either. I've already been looking at other longer races for future reference. Now I know it isn't the same for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that, but my question is: how long from the time you started running, till your first marathon? Just curious.
                              Never. I don't see the appeal of running marathons. Nowadays it seems like people get into running just to run marathons instead of finding whatever distance suits their abilities the best. I'll stick with the 1500 and 5000.
                                3 years here. I find that with most people I know who have done a marathon, the choice to do it came as an epiphany... a sudden realization that a marathon must be done. In my case I had been toying with the idea, but it was too abstract an idea to act on. Then my girlfriend signed up with some friends to do the relay at the Vermont City Marathon, and I realized that I should go along and do the whole thing. My girlfriend, who had no aspirations beyond a 10K did her leg, then felt good and ran the next leg along with her team's next runner for a total of 12 miles. Between that and the emotion she saw around the full marathoners, she decided to start training for a marathon the next week.

-------------------------------------
                                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07