What constitutes a run during a running streak? (Read 1244 times)

No pun intended.
    JK's puns are always intended. He's a genius like that. And I say one mile equals a run unless you use the Metric system and then it's 1 kilometer. But I'm all-inclusive and don't like to limit admittance.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

JakeKnight

Why 4? or 3? Just curious...
      Okay. You asked. Some people won't like it.
      If this is just a tally of opinion then Im with Schneidr. 3 miles.
      Yup. This thread asks for opinions. My opinion is three miles. At least. What some organization says is irrelevant to my opinion. And the reasoning for the opinion is simple, and - I think - pretty undeniable: 3 miles is about the minimum distance for a run to do you any good. Assuming the 'experts' are right, you've got to hit that 20 minute mark for cardio benefit. For most folks, 3 miles will get you to 20-30 minutes. Even for most faster people, a 3 (or 4) mile run can be a quick but useful tempo run. 3 miles is also - again, my opinion - about the minimum for a run to have much meaning, unless you're running really, really slowly. Unless its an under-3 mile race, I'd never step out the door for that distance. A one mile run? I could just step on the treadmill for 6-10 minutes and do that. How is doing that every day meaningful? Just because you did it? For like 7 minutes? It becomes a little more obvious when you compare it to some other activity. For example, I'm playing with the kids in the 100 Pushups Challenge group. Let's say I started my own "pushups streaker" thang. If I did 3 a day sometimes ... would you really think I was on a streak? Or would you maybe think I'd have to crank out at least 30 or 40 to say I actually did pushups that day? Technically, 3 a day IS a streak, right? Sure it is. Maybe I could start an organization to say so. But does it mean anything? Is it making me stronger? You decide. Okay, maybe you play an instrument and you get serious about practicing - and say you're going on a streak. If you practice your guitar an hour a day - call me impressed. That's a streak. But you practice 2 minutes on some days? Okay, not so impressed. That's not a streak in my book. I guess to me, to call it a streak means that what you're doing is actually running for a purpose, running to train. Hopping on the dreadmill for 7 minutes has no purpose. It's sole purpose would be for me to say I was still on a streak. Just like that guy doing his 3 quick pushups or practicing his instrument a couple minutes a day. (Actually, the guy doing that is probably at least getting something out of it; personally I think people who do the 1 mile a day thing are just asking for injury or burnout and getting just about zero benefit. You can't even warmup in 1 mile.) Or as Trent put it - much more succinctly:
      If your goal is to get a fitness or training benefit, then you need a good 20 minutes. If your goal is to keep a running streak alive, it may require less.
      That says it all. But to me, a "running" streak means you're running for the purpose of running - not just to claim you're "streaking." Thus, 3 miles. Or more. Okay, maybe even 2 if you're running 13-14 minute miles. But its gotta hit 20-25 minutes a day. Just an opinion. And nope, I don't care to argue it with anyone, no matter how obvious it seems to me. That's the beauty of opinions. You can have one all to yourself. This one's mine.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Mishka-old log

.2% of your maximum point of exhaustion. Just go do a quick field test.
          Wall of Text
          Have you ever thought of employing an editor?

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

JakeKnight

Have you ever thought of employing an editor?
            No. They take out words.

Len

Damn Yankee

JK is right. 3 miles (or 30 minutes) is a minimum. You have to run enough to at least cause yourself some inconvenience. One mile is a burp in your day. 3 miles will require a shower and a change of clothes.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

And the reasoning for the opinion is simple, and - I think - pretty undeniable: 3 miles is about the minimum distance for a run to do you any good. Assuming the 'experts' are right, you've got to hit that 20 minute mark for cardio benefit. For most folks, 3 miles will get you to 20-30 minutes. Even for most faster people, a 3 (or 4) mile run can be a quick but useful tempo run. 3 miles is also - again, my opinion - about the minimum for a run to have much meaning, unless you're running really, really slowly. Unless its an under-3 mile race, I'd never step out the door for that distance.
                Agreed If you look at that website some guy has a 40 yr streak. Would be curious to see his log / minimum.

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)
                JakeKnight

Agreed If you look at that website some guy has a 40 yr streak. Would be curious to see his log / minimum.
                  So if you only run 30 miles a month ... you still count as a "streak" runner? Lame. Do they have different categories? I'd like to see "longest streak of at least 10 miles a day." That'd be cool.

xor

Sure, "lame". I buy that. At least in the general case. Lots of stuff happens in 40 years. Have a hernia operated on. Break a leg. Have a migraine. I can think of about 1,000 different things that would make it incredibly challenging to continue an every day streak, even with only one mile on a day. Barfing from chemo. Some things that seem easy aren't so easy in all cases. And 40 years is a long damn time. Edited to add: all the streak runners I know (and I'm not one, so I have no personal stake here nor ax to grind) generally run a few miles every day. Except sometimes real life gets in the way and you do what you have to do.

Len

Damn Yankee

Barfing from chemo.
                      Game. Set. Match. I saw you Sat night/Sunday morning. I wanted to say hi, but I felt like shit. Perspective matters.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

xor

Interestingly enough, I felt like shit sat/sun too :-). FWIW, I was just offering up a different lens from which to view stuff like this... I can totally see the points raised here. Streaks aren't for everyone... either as the person doing or the person witnessing... and I very much agree that finding a list of people who have run 10 miles every day for an extended period would be a mofo cool list.

Len

Damn Yankee

I was finishing my last (25k) lap, and saw your "breast cancer sucks" pink singlet. I shoulda said hi, but sometimes talking just doesn't get it done. You are an honorable man, and I'm honored to have shared a path with you.

jules2

Heres another example of continual running, it makes you proud to be British. The legendary Ron Hill, Britain's first runner under the magical 2Hr 10 barrier as well as winner of the Boston Marathon, European Championships and Commonwealth Games during the halycon days of the 1970's. The most contradictory statement one could make about Ron Hill is to say "the man didn't win anything". People like to talk about Ron Hill as a person who could have done better "IF" Yet this very same man was the 2nd person in history to crack sub 2Hr 10, a winner of the Boston Marathon as well as winner of both the Commonwealth and the European Championships. No mean feat. Born in Accrington, the industrial town in the East Lancashire region of the UK, Ron took a strong interest in running from childhood. His childhood hero was Alp Tupper, 'the tough of the track', a comic magazine hero who Hill would emulate in his career by becoming a stallwart of athletics in every sense. He joined a Lancashire athletics club in 1953 and has not looked back since. Ron HillThe Accrington athlete would set 4 world records over 4 distances, never the 42K and would be a force to be reckoned with attending 3 Olympic Games Marathons, Tokyo 1964, Mexico 1968 and Munich 1972, unfortunately without success, failing to peak on the ultimate stage. 1970 was to be a watershed year for Hill who travelled to the Boston marathon winning by a large margin and shattering the course record by 3 minutes with a time of 2:10:30. Consider that Boston 2005 was won in 2:13, some 35 years later. Then in July of 1970, at the British Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh, he became the second man to break 2:10 barrier with 2:09:28. In both of these races, Hill was most impressive. In Edinburgh, he recorded the second fastest time despite starting out at suicidal pace - first 10Km in 29:24, a 2:04 marathon pace. Hill travelled to Fukuoka International marathon as a clear favourite, but sadly could only muster a 9th place finish, however despite this he was voted Marathoner of the Year due to his sublime performances in April and July. After winning Gold at the Athens European Marathon Champs in 1969 and the wonder performances of 1970, Hill placed 3rd in a time of 2:14:36 at the European Marathon Champs of 1971 behind Belgium legend Karel Lismont. It must be noted that earlier in 1969, Hill won the AAA marathon championships at Manchester in a time 2:13:42 and then won at Athens followed by Boston and the Commonwealth Games win in Edinburgh, four marathon runs of the highest order to establish himself as one of the Greats of Distance never quite making it to our Hall of Fame. Hill was never to replicate 1970 again and at the Munich Olympic marathon in 1972 he would fade to 6th never again reaching the dizzy heights of a marathoner to be feared again on the big stage. The athlete runs to this day and notched up a record of sorts by never missing a day's running in 30 years.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

jeffdonahue

Yup. This thread asks for opinions. My opinion is three miles. At least. What some organization says is irrelevant to my opinion.
                              Actually, I dont think this thread is asking for opinion. Given that there is an official running streak organization that governs what actually does constitute a streak then this thread is asking for a fact. And the fact is that to have a streak you must run one mile a day. Besides, with 3-4 miles arent you being just a bit elitist? What about those people that cant run 4 miles at a time yet, but still do 1-2 miles every day. From what you are saying, since they arent doing 3-4 miles, they are therefore not runners, and if they go every day they are streakers as well.

Oh Mighty Wing

I think the 3-4 mile minimum is great if you can run that as a minimum. I am still building my mileage up to the point where that is reasonable for a recovery run. But it is not always reasonable for me. And 3 miles a day wouldn't count as a cut-back from my mileage. I think it's important to keep in perspective where you are as a runner. If you are newer to running or still at a low mileage then 3 miles a day might be hard for you to do. And so you could start with less and build up to it. I know last week was the last week I will be running 1 miles as recovery runs. I will be upping them to 2 miles. But I still get out there every day and run. It may not be worth it for some of you to get out there for 12-13 minutes, but for me it's worth it.