Too much cardio... (Read 3039 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So you're saying that calorimetry doesn't work? If so, you're at odds with about 99% of exercise scientists. O2 consumption is really the only way anyone measures energy expenditure.
    You misunderstand. Calorimetry measures oxygen in and CO2 out. You need CO2 production rates to determine calorie burn rates. Running economy only looks at oxygen inspiration rates. A lot can happen between the airway and the metabolizing cell.
    FastTalkingFatty

What the hell is cardio?
      seriously True story: Talking to a guy in NYC and he asks what my hobbies are I say I don't really have hobbies but I love movies and I run. He replies that he used to like to do a lot of cardio too. To be cheeky and to make the usual point that running is different, I asked him what he meant and he actually blathered on about working out and explained cardio/running to me, as if 1) I had been serious and 2) I hadn't just said that I run so maybe I would know what it was. It when on long enough that he nearly offered to show me his abs "not as good as they used to be but still..." before I shut it all down.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

You misunderstand. Calorimetry measures oxygen in and CO2 out. You need CO2 production rates to determine calorie burn rates. Running economy only looks at oxygen inspiration rates. A lot can happen between the airway and the metabolizing cell.
        Oookay! I certainly get you if you're saying that respiration rate has poor correlation to energy use. That's pretty basic. If that's what you're saying then you're not being clear (at least to me.) But if you're saying that actual oxygen uptake is a poor measure of energy use then you're either excessively nitpicky or misinformed. Where is the oxygen going to go? Are you going to fart it? Is there some long term oxygen storage mechanism that no one else on the planet knows about? Maybe a space warp? Yes, I can believe that the equation can be unbalanced for brief periods, but discussion of running economy almost always assumes a steady state.

Why is it sideways?

Not sure how to address this, but I would suspect that it has to do with running in place being classified as a different activity. Hmmm.
          Sorta like how "running" is different from running. Wink

Why is it sideways?

excessively nitpicky
            Trent? No.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I certainly get you if you're saying that respiration rate has poor correlation to energy use. That's pretty basic. If that's what you're saying then you're not being clear (at least to me.)
              Not respiration rate. Oxygen inspiration rate. One inhales oxygen and exhales oxygen (which is why giving breaths in CPR actually are useful). In some people, the body's metabolizing cells take up the oxygen more efficiently than in other people. THIS is the VO2. This leads to the variability in measured oxygen inhalation rates and the mismatch between oxygen inhalation and caloric expenditure. And yes, I was being vague, although not misleading. I was simply not offering up my whole pie. At least not at once.

A Saucy Wench

All I get out of this thread is that Mikey thinks I am old, Lank's computer program is glitchy and Trent is feeling the effects of being trapped in an airport with 3 kids for 6 hours longer than necessary.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

#artbydmcbride

I agree with Hippo.

Runners run

xor

And yes, I was being vague, although not misleading. I was simply not offering up my whole pie. At least not at once.
                    Milton Berle famously once (or many times) did something similar. Though it wasn't "pie". (discussion of "Milton Berle-ing" something here) ((for the record, the size of Milton Berle's "pie" and various stories are apocryphal)) Trent being vague and participating in a strange argument and nitpicks. Inconceivable.

I agree with Hippo.
                      I thought for sure someone would start talking about an Ostrich soon. I didn't see the Hippo comming. Which apparently is common because I love to throw out the random tidbit that more people are killed by Hippos than any other large animal. I am not sure I'm right about that but I think I heard it somewhere at it sounds good enough to me. You do have to say something to distinguish animals though since mosquitos kill more poeple than all 4-legged creatures put together.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ack! "Just RUN!!" I'm always shouting that at the TV whenever a large woman talks about how hard it is to lose weight. And yes, I know it also takes portion control, but running sure makes dieting more effective. I know.
                          (for the record, the size of Milton Berle's "pie" and various stories are apocryphal))
                          This brings up even more questions than it answers.

xor

I thought for sure someone would start talking about an Ostrich soon. I didn't see the Hippo comming. Which apparently is common because I love to throw out the random tidbit that more people are killed by Hippos than any large animal. I am not sure I'm right about that but I think I heard it somewhere at it sounds good enough to me. You do have to say something to distinguish animals though since mosquitos kill more poeple than all 4-legged creatures put together.
                            Smile I can confirm that Hippo is a real person, in this case, and not nearly as moody as an actual hipppotamus, hiphop-potamus, hippo-potatamus, or my alter-ego the whatapotamus. I think leney has met him too! AND I think he even wore a skirt once in a long race.

Why is it sideways?

I read this interview this weekend. Seems to me to be relevant to the discussion of calories, dieting, weight loss, etc. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/magazine/08wwln-q4-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine
                              Her Beautiful Mind Interview by DEBORAH SOLOMON As a British psychoanalyst known for your social activism and literary output, you argue in your new book, “Bodies,” that all of the globalized world — men and women alike — is suffering from a warped sense of beauty. What I am seeing is franticness about having to get a body. I wish we could treat our bodies as the place we live from, rather than regard it as a place to be worked on, as though it were a disagreeable old kitchen in need of renovation and update. “Body hatred,” as you call it, has become a leading Western export. Young women in South Korea are undergoing surgery to Westernize the appearance of their eyelids. It’s supported by their parents. They don’t experience this as a terrible thing, that they’re being passive victims and idiots. They see it as a chance at modernity. Fiji is the country where 11.3 percent of girls were bent over the toilet bowl three years after television was introduced. Do you believe there is actually a direct connection between watching a show like “Gossip Girl” and developing bulimia? Yes, the girls were trying to remake their bodies in the shape of skinny Western bodies. In general, the Western body has become a global brand. You’ve publicly expressed an interest in suing Weight Watchers. Yes. Fifi, which is what I call my book “Fat Is a Feminist Issue,” was in part a plea to give up dieting and learn to recognize hunger and appetite and respond to them. Dieting, I argued, caused compulsive eating and destabilizes our relationship to food. In what way? If you continually diet, you are putting your body in a quasi-famine situation. It slows your metabolism down and breaks the thermostat. Diets don’t work. They don’t help you understand why you’re eating more than your body wanted in the first place. You reportedly treated Princess Diana for bulimia, which you have never acknowledged publicly. Look, here’s the position of the shrink. The surgeon says, “The operation was a success.” The shrink cannot say that so-and-so was my patient. Can you say that so-and-so was not your patient? What about, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger? I don’t know if we’ve been confronted with that at our ethics committee. I am not convinced that women today are more body-obsessed than their predecessors. Wasn’t Cleopatra beanpole-thin and bedecked in eyeliner? Maybe a few people around her in her palace imitated her style. But it wasn’t a requirement to feel comfortable as a woman. Yes, she lived in the days before cosmetic companies ruled. Now we’re all invited to believe that we can be beautiful, but accompanying that is that we must be preoccupied with how we look from the age of 6 to the age of 75. We’re expected to look like Angelina Jolie from childhood to the old-age home. How much do you weigh? I have absolutely no idea. The last time I was weighed was a few weeks after I had my second child, Lianna, in 1988. I hear you recently separated from your longtime psychotherapist husband. Yes. I had 30-plus years of a really lovely relationship. How did it end? I’d rather not say. I am a shrink, so it’s not really in the public realm. Fair enough, but can you tell us if he left for someone impossibly thin? Ha. Do you believe that men are biologically inclined to favor unwrinkled flesh? Actually, I don’t buy that myth. I think most men crave intimacy, connection and interest, and one of the painful aspects of life today is that women are encouraged to turn to quite dramatic cosmetic procedures in the face of loss. I trust you won’t succumb to cosmetic surgery. No. I’ve become accustomed to the way I look. I look my age, which is 62. If I were afraid of wrinkles, I’d probably be hiding in a cupboard, because I have a lot of them. INTERVIEW CONDUCTED, CONDENSED AND EDITED BY DEBORAH SOLOMON
                                Regarding the Ryun/Shorter comparison it doesn't seem all that surprising that a world class miler had a higher VO2max than a world class marathoner. I mean despite the fact that there's a poor correlation between VO2max and race times, this seems to be almost exactly what you'd expect.
                                But we're not talking about their VO2Max, we're talking about their running economy. Their VO2max was much closer. You're absolutely right that there's a poor correlation between VO2max and race times though, and that's precisely because of the existence of running economy. Benoit had a VO2max that was comparable to most elite men (common theory is that women are slower runners because of their lower VO2max), but she never ran nearly as fast as VO2max would have led you to believe. Guess what? Her running economy sucked compared to her peers. I'm about to go running. I've always thought the huge stride, land with your knee locked and your foot about 18" in front of your body method looked really cool. I also have always wanted to pump my arms from side to side like a madman. Now that I know that stride efficiency is insignificant (thanks Trent, I will forget what Daniels/Noakes say), I am able to adopt this running form without worrying about a decrease in performance. I always hated strides and short repetitions too, and now that my whole world has been rocked by Trent and there's no benefit to doing them anymore, I can live even happier.
                                For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.