Too much cardio... (Read 3039 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, if you take longer steps without changing speed, this probably means you're "bouncing" more, right?
    Not right. You can take lots of small steps or fewer longer steps without appreciably changing your vertical lift. You can also move faster or slower by altering stride length without altering vertical lift.

Dave

Without googling:
      Did you have to say that? I get it. I'm uncultivated.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

xor

Maybe, but you have other fine qualities. Don't let it get you down just because you aren't ready to be planted.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Knowledge of inane facts is like the opposite of being cultured.
          xor

Knowledge of inane facts is like the opposite of being cultured.
            I am living proof of this.

No. We were talking about calories.
              I was having a sidebar conversation with mikeymike, who seemed to indicate that running economy either did not exist or did not have a significant effect on running fitness, which is the discussion that the thread devolved into when you were gone.
              RunningBehind, my only argument is with whether any of this has to do with caloric expenditure rates over distance. Not with oxygen consumption, stride efficiency, etc. And I am not arguing against Noakes and Daniels (who themselves argued against each other).
              And my argument is that oxygen consumption and stride efficiency are directly related to caloric expenditure. Caloric expenditure is the measure of energy used, an efficient runner will require less energy to produce the same unit of work as a less efficient runner. If running economy has no effect on energy cost, there is very little explanation for the effect that running economy has on running pace. We know that "easy" pace for casual and elite runners recruit the same physiological systems, but with energy cost out of the picture, it's hard to explain the difference in pace when we are talking RQ<1 (and thus lt and vo2max have insignificant effect) intensities. btw: i didn't do the stride experiment, but it was hot as balls outside which is another thing that can effect running economy. (and="" thus="" lt="" and="" vo2max="" have="" insignificant="" effect)="" intensities.="" btw:="" i="" didn't="" do="" the="" stride="" experiment,="" but="" it="" was="" hot="" as="" balls="" outside="" which="" is="" another="" thing="" that="" can="" effect="" running=""></1 (and thus lt and vo2max have insignificant effect) intensities. btw: i didn't do the stride experiment, but it was hot as balls outside which is another thing that can effect running economy.>
              For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

Imminent Catastrophe

Running ≠ Walking With walking, at least one foot is always on the ground. With running, at least one foot is always off the ground. These have different energy expenditure profiles.
                One reason why walking is inherently more efficient than running, as I already posted. MTA: Ergo, fewer calories burned/mile. But not a lot. Not enough to worry about.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Right on Hereford...

You can take lots of small steps or fewer longer steps without appreciably changing your vertical lift.
                  Can you explain how this is possible? Don't you have to jump higher in order to jump further, assuming horizontal speed remains constant?
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can you explain how this is possible? Don't you have to jump higher in order to jump further, assuming horizontal speed remains constant?
                    Nope. You have three major joints: ankle, knee, hip. You can bend in such a way as to keep your upper body fairly stable at varying speeds and stride lengths.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I didn't do the stride experiment, but it was hot as balls outside which is another thing that can effect running economy.
                      It was pretty warm. Not quite the 96 degrees you imply, but pretty warm nonetheless. Where in TN are you?
                      mikeymike

I was having a sidebar conversation with mikeymike, who seemed to indicate that running economy either did not exist or did not have a significant effect on running fitness, which is the discussion that the thread devolved into when you were gone.
                        Actually I think I was saying that running economy is just another word for running fitness.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

Apparently you burn more calories running than you do typing shite into t'internet.

It was pretty warm. Not quite the 96 degrees you imply, but pretty warm nonetheless. Where in TN are you?
                            Memphis (for now). It's more the humidity than anything else here.
                            For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

Right on Hereford...

The point is, calorie expenditure while running is a function of body weight, distance covered and individual intrinsic variation. ALL other factors, including efficiency, ambient temperature, windspeed, road grade, etc, are all insignificant next to the confidence interval around intrinsic variation.
                              Trent, this can't possibly be true. Try running a mile on a flat road with no wind. Then run a mile up a 30% grade with a 60 mph headwind. You're saying you will burn the same number of calories in each case? Also, where are your references? I want to read the scientific literature that supposedly confirms your statement. Yes, I'm grumpy because my mom bailed on watching the kid this morning, so I'm sitting here instead of running. Angry

Dave

Road grade and, to a much lesser extent, windspeed don't belong in Trent's list. For a given elevation change over a mile, you do the additional physics work of lifting your body weight that height. Windspeed is a much bigger deal for cyclists or motor sports where the speed is higher. Wind resistance is an exponential force such that double the wind speed is like 10x the resistance but with light winds, its still negligible.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com