The Dinner Table--RA vs. (and? or? with?) CR (Read 1880 times)

Shall I start a user group for "canned cranberry sauce lovers"? Big grin At my old running website, recently taken over by Sluggishcorporategiant.com, we had a forum called just that. With a "Weekly Cranberry Sauce Consumption" thread, an "Ocean Spray vs. Generic Debate" thread, & everything! And our motto, "Cranbare!" was a subtle reference to the Japanese encouraging shout "Ganbare! Ganbare!" Gee, I miss my old website... Sad Wink Hey, totally off topic...I can't tell y'all how excited I am to get my training log xferred over! It smells like.....victory!
    Scout7

We do that, too, it's just about beer instead. Or boobs.
      TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Hey, totally off topic...I can't tell y'all how excited I am to get my training log xferred over! It smells like.....victory!
        Good job there kid. My RA log matches perfectly with my old um, log from a place that's not this place - Empty! Well, actually, I entered yesterday's swim while trying to get started on the right foot. Luckily my real log did not evaporate from my old fashioned paper calendar and personal .xls file. I seriously missed out on the hot topic of the day here. Wow. And I drafted up a lengthy reply. But I've decided to just read Econo's replies and say "me too!" Me too! Craig (Can I stop watching every keystroke to be polite now?) (disclaimer - Yes I know Econo from a previous life.) (nondisclaimer - But I know zoom-zoom now (and still Econo), because she is omnipresent!) ETA: Worse yet, I probably have committed a serious crime. In my profile I attached the link to my old profile, wa la, done! (Except it's that Interwoven thing which is actually an Active page.) Oops. I will translate it sometime.

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(nondisclaimer - But I know zoom-zoom now (and still Econo), because she is omnipresent!)
          Hmmm...omnipresent...is that like omnipotent in any way? If so, I think I should get a raise. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

See!

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

dougnl

Oh yeah, I took a nice long look at the tools section here, looks awesome! Looking forward to starting my log tomorrow. Again. great job on the site! so, berries or no in the cranberry?

go Care Bear go!

I want to thank all the RA "natives" for the warm welcome. This place feels right. I also was totally happy with my little community at CR and will miss some of those people very much if I do lose track of them. That said, I TOTALLY agree with the post about the CR-specific threads. That's just wrong. However, I think maybe it's just an attempt to find some security as this week has been trying for those of us who miss CR, to say the least. I am impressed with what I've read here so far and am so happy to have found RA. As on any message board, there will always be "popular" posters, the ones who stir the pot and annoy, trolls, know-it-alls, helpful advice givers, negative Nellies, encouragers, entertainers.... etc. Wherever I go, I've always tried to ignore the stuff that bothers me and move on. I've learned alot over the years from my very real "imaginary" CR friends and wouldn't (couldn't?) have done all I did in 2007 without them. I'm sure it's much the same with the long time RA folks. Anyway, I'm rambling. Again, thanks for letting us barge in. Looking at it from your side, I'm sure it's been a little overwhelming and yet you've been nice enough to have us for dinner! Please pass the salt and pepper. (full disclosure.... I didn't read ALL the replies on this thread but I'm going to try!)

I'll pipe up - I like the friendly nature of the boards. I also liked that I could keep current on all of the threads on the main boards and in the groups that I joined. I suspect I'm going to lose the ability to do the latter, but as long as the friendliness remains I'll be happy. If it does start getting nasty then I'll just keep using the log and start ignoring the forum. I don't see it as likely, though.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Another Passion

Here are the potatoes, Mike. *pass* I think another concern with some of the "CR" groups is that they duplicate existing groups. Hop on in to some of the existing groups that deal with the same subjects... we don't bite (except maybe kooky).
                    What bloke in their right mind wouldn't want to be bitten by Kooky?!? Blush

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Another Passion

Whew! That was more reading than I did in college in 5 years I think! Blush Anyway (sorry if I'm talking with my mouth full of corn puddin'), I'm a fairly new (2 -3 years) runner who started haunting these threads about 3 months ago. I was a casual runner, at best, when I started perusing the RA community, just taking the thoughts, ideas, exasperations, and exuberations posted by the community all in and to get a "feel" for the personalities of the people posting them. What I found, in swifter time than I can probably run a 10K, is a well-balanced, diversified, encouraging, inspirational, intelligent, non-judgemental, and over the top, pee my pants they're so funny, witty community of runners of all capabilities that just enjoy life in all its diversity along with their running, which is the common thread here. Through hanging out here and getting to know some of the awesome folks in this RA community (which takes time and will be a two-way street), I have been inspired, encouraged, schooled, and amazed through race reports, insightful posts, educational posts, and social posts, to the extent that I am now registered for something that I NEVER thought I would attempt or even be capable of attempting, in running a marathon. The people that were already here when I started coming in as a guest to their house, warmly welcomed me and quickly made me feel welcome and like I was part of their community. It is through race reports like those from Zoomie, PowerofQ, Badbadbaddawg (not sure how many bads there were), Bonkin and his Marathon to Marathon, Trishie, Eddy, Trent and his flying monkeys, Jeff and his Yoda-wisdom, Kooky and her injury struggles, and so many more that I was made to feel like there was nothing out of my grasp in terms of what I could accomplish running. I was one person integrating into a community and it took time to feel like I could just come in the door withouth knocking and plop into my running friends' Lazy Boy. We now have a whole community integrating into another whole community. It will take time in getting to know a much larger community of running friends, but it will happen. I understand the CR folks wanting to make sure they don't loose any of their own through the cracks in this transition, and that's just fine, just don't make RA a shadow of CR. Anyway, this is an awesome site, with an awesome manager (you rock Eric!), and even more awesome people, which is what makes this site what it is. They inspire me, they encourage me, and they never cease to amaze me with their knowledge, their heart, their toughness, and their accomplishments. Welcome to our new RA running friends from CR! I pray you feel comfortable in our Lazy Boys soon. Wink May I have some pumpkin pie now? With real whipping cream, of course, none of that fat-free crap. Big grin

Rick

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I make my pumpkin pie AND my whipped cream from scratch. Is there another way? Confused Thanks rvelich. Big grin

Another Passion

I make my pumpkin pie AND my whipped cream from scratch. Is there another way? Confused Thanks rvelich. Big grin
                          For me, no there is no other way and, there's hardly anything better, Trent. Loves me the home made pumpkin and whipping cream. In fact, that was my "birthday cake" on my last birthday. Big grin

Rick

Dave

There are now 83 members of CR Refugees. That is quite a few to absorb if they all post quite often. Better put a couple more turkeys in the oven. Just think, if every immigrant were to pass just $5 over to Eric in gratitude, he could afford a couple turkeys and some dressing ....

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You know rvelich, I know of one marathon where the RD personally home bakes loads of pumpkin pies for the runners and volunteers.

Lazy idiot

I aim to find this marathon, run it, and eat said pumpkin pie. Will there be beer?

Tick tock