Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Hi Robert! ...sounds like an intro at an alcoholics anonymous meeting... Glad you're here and that you've found us. 50 staters are always welcome. Please post early and often! Lots of folks are interested in working their way up to a marathon and could use your perspective on getting ready. And who knows, you might learn something too! Welcome, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bumping for all the new folks--come say hi! We won't bite (well, *I* won't...you might have to watch yourselves around some of the guys, namely Jeffgoblue, diddidit, and Scout7--you've been warned)! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Bumping for all the new folks--come say hi! We won't bite (well, *I* won't...you might have to watch yourselves around some of the guys, namely Jeffgoblue, diddidit, and Scout7--you've been warned)!
        Hey, I resemble that remark! Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Well after a greeting like that, I might as well introduce myself! I'm Paige, 19, from South Bend, IN. I went to Indiana University last year, but I'm transferring this year to Saint Mary's College, which is right across the street from Notre Dame. Also, it's only 15 minutes from my family and they love that Smile I started running in April. My first semester at IU was terrible and I was at a really low point. I found that jumping on the treadmill helped get my mind off all my stress. And now I'm hooked! Running for me is getting away from everything and challenging myself. I love this website and these forums! I've learned so much from just creeping around and I draw so much inspiration from you guys! Big grin
          "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Paigey...come join us gals in the Ladies Locker Room in my sig.... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm from Muncie Indiana, but live in Virginia now. I can relate to the treadmill up north. Notre Dame is a great school. Indiana was much better when Bobby Knight was there. Since he left, I've lost all interest in the hoosiers. Any running goals set yet?
                I love this website and these forums! I've learned so much from just creeping around and I draw so much inspiration from you guys! Big grin
                Welcome to the club! Mixed up with all the chit chat and giggles there truly is a lot of sound running advice to be found here in RA.

Michelle

Good Morning everyone. My name is Bill and I am a 33 (Happy Bday to me!!!!) year old College coach at a small school in Ohio. I originally signed up to start a training group for my runners. Hopefully I will be able to get myself motivated to train consistently and start racing again. I am an avid hiker and outdoors person and my latest interest is adventure races. I worked Primal Quest last summer and it was AMAZING!!!!! For those who don't know, it is a race comprised of 90 4 man teams that competed in Utah in the summer over just about any discipline you can think of. I think the winning team completed the 500 + mile race in just a shade over 6 days!!!!! Talk about putting yourself through torture. Now I don't have any plans to do anything that insane anytime soon but it was amazing to be there and see firsthand. Thanks for this sight. It is absolutely amazing what you have been able to do with it!!! Keep up the great work.
                  "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ya know, since we seem to have this sudden infusion of folks from South Bend, IN or who seem to have some connection to / appreciation for Notre Dame, I thought you new folks would enjoy my tribute to Touchdown Jesus, icon of the ND campus.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Any running goals set yet?
                      I'm looking forward to running the Indy Mini Marathon next May. Other than that, right now I'm still getting used to going out every day to get better and work up to the big mileage. My dad wants to qualify for the Boston before he's 50 (he just turned 45) and so we're working together to get in shape, and hopefully in a year or two we'll both be able to run Boston together!
                      "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
                        i actually don't remember if i ever introduced myself here or not! i'm michele, i'm 30, i work with children and never sit down (except to do my log and now check the forums!). although i ran like a crazy person all growing up, life got in the way and i became one of those "if i have time" runners that never really made the time to run for several years. i started running regularly again about a year and a half ago, and thank god for that b/c when my mom became terminally ill, i don't know if I would have survived if i didn't have my nightly runs to clear my head and heart a little bit at the end of every day. when i lost her in january, running became an absolute lifeline. you know what they say-- running is cheaper than therapy? in my case, it is better than therapy, too. it helps me feel connected to her in a physical sense as well as a spiritual sense (tennis was her sport, and she was *ferocious*). i started racing again this year-- broad street kicked it off and i was stoked to run it as a fundraiser for the american cancer society (seriously, fuck that disease). i actually recruited 14 other people to run it with me-- we had our own little "team thuy" going and had so much fun that... we're all still picking up races here and there, often together (5 of us ran the sheehan classic in red bank, nj yesterday, and another of us came out to cheer). i'm slow and am okay w/ that-- for now. i'm building my mileage and throwing in speed challenges for myself here and there-- but i don't have a deadline or anything. i do want to run a half-marathon sometime this summer, and then if that goes well, i want to complete 26.2 sometime this fall-- but i won't cry in my beer if i fall short of these two goals (i'll simply revise my training strategy and try again!). in the meantime, i'm having a good time pushing myself in a new running evironment (concrete city vs. grassy burbs), finding new routes and finding new people to talk to about running! oh ps zoom-zoom, you mentioned the ladies' locker room to me once and i was going to join but there's a password required!
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(seriously, fuck that disease). oh ps zoom-zoom, you mentioned the ladies' locker room to me once and i was going to join but there's a password required!
                          My FIL died of cancer this past Nov. He was only in his eary 60s and always a very fit person (ran the Chicago Marathon once-upon-a-time). A good friend lost her hubby to cancer a couple of years ago on Christmas day (he was only in his mid-30s and they had been married just 2 weeks), as well. We both share your sentiment. email me harumph @ gmail.com for the password... Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Hi my name is Jo, I am 27 and mother of one little girl. I have a job that means I sit on my bum all day (awful when I love being outdoors). I have been running on and off for 4 years with little effort behind it and I was never able to run ver far or for any amount of time. I decided last year that I had put on too much weight and had got ever unfit so decided to do some thing about it, I took up calorie counting and cycling & walking ( I first used running ahead to measure my cycling routes and walking routes) too start with and have managed to shift 28lb in the process. I then realised that my walking speed had increased so much that I might as well try a spot of running and as I actually put effort behind it this time and I could do it! And I blooming enjoyed it! So now I can run, nothing is going to stop me, not the unpredictable english weather or the odd spot of laziness. I am running my first 10k (The Great capital Run in Hyde park 15th July) soon and looking forward to the challenge. The site has been an invaluble tool to me and the forums are great. Jo
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Jo (heh...sounds like a Hendrix song...), great to have you on board. I think you'd really like the groups in my sig, too. Today is weigh-in for the Jiggly Joggers and we will be starting our Summer weight loss challenge in the next week, too. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

My FIL died of cancer this past Nov. He was only in his eary 60s and always a very fit person (ran the Chicago Marathon once-upon-a-time). A good friend lost her hubby to cancer a couple of years ago on Christmas day (he was only in his mid-30s and they had been married just 2 weeks), as well. We both share your sentiment. email me harumph @ gmail.com for the password... Smile k
                                you know, i have yet to meet a family that hasn't been touched by one variety of cancer or another. enough, already, right?? blah! i emailed you-- check yr junk mail for a message from seelinger @ gmail . com!