Is running killing us? (Read 575 times)

I got in 15 miles today. To offset the negative health benefits from that run I just ate about 75% of a large pizza.

I want to see the science on that one...

Still kicking

Exactly what I'm planning for my after-marathon strategy next Saturday. I'm going for Pappa Johnathon after 26.2, I'm going for a large pepperoni, and then one of them chocolate chip cookie pizzas.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm pretty much done listening to a lot of conventional wisdom.  For decades we've been brainwashed with fat = bad (especially saturated fat...ooh, the devil!!), carbs = good.  Fat will give you heart disease, but eating whole grains "may" prevent heart disease.  And now conventional wisdom is that all that CW from the 70s forward was totally wrong.  And even though this earlier line of thinking has been increasingly debunked over the past decade or so, that brainwashing is pretty serious stuff.  My "healthy" MIL still buys Quaker breakfast cookies because they are low-fat and fortified with calcium. Nevermind the fact that she has high triglycerides, high cholesterol, high BP (even at a very healthy weight and activity level for her age) and she'd be better off ditching the processed carbs and sugar and having fruit, eggs, and cheese for breakfast.

I give up.  I'm just going to do what makes me feel healthy and happy.  F*ck the experts.  In another 10-30 years they'll be proven wrong, anyhow.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm pretty much done listening to a lot of conventional wisdom. 

I give up.  I'm just going to do what makes me feel healthy and happy.  F*ck the experts.  In another 10-30 years they'll be proven wrong, anyhow.

With you on this!

steph  

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

What is wrong with having an enlarged heart if one's not an endurance athlete? Is that normally associated with some medical condition?

It means you care too much.

Too much.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Feeling the growl again

What is wrong with having an enlarged heart if one's not an endurance athlete? Is that normally associated with some medical condition?

Yes, heart failure.  This is why a complete history is necessary to interpret the clinical finding -- the etiology behind enlargement of the heart is completely different.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

keeponrunning

I'm pretty much done listening to a lot of conventional wisdom.  For decades we've been brainwashed with fat = bad (especially saturated fat...ooh, the devil!!), carbs = good.  Fat will give you heart disease, but eating whole grains "may" prevent heart disease.  And now conventional wisdom is that all that CW from the 70s forward was totally wrong.  And even though this earlier line of thinking has been increasingly debunked over the past decade or so, that brainwashing is pretty serious stuff.  My "healthy" MIL still buys Quaker breakfast cookies because they are low-fat and fortified with calcium. Nevermind the fact that she has high triglycerides, high cholesterol, high BP (even at a very healthy weight and activity level for her age) and she'd be better off ditching the processed carbs and sugar and having fruit, eggs, and cheese for breakfast.

This.  I'd rather run and enjoy life than not run and hate life.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Walk-Jogger

Maybe it's not the running that's killing us; people who run more miles are likely to take more painkillers, and maybe its as simple as that:

"WEDNESDAY, April 9, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- A long-term study suggests that older people who use common prescription painkillers, including prescription-strength ibuprofen, may be increasing their risk for developing a type of irregular heartbeat called atrial fibrillation.

Atrial fibrillation increases the risk of stroke and heart failure and can shorten life. Previous studies have also linked these painkillers -- called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs -- to a risk of heart attack and stroke, the researchers noted."

LINK.

Retired &  Loving It

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe it's not the running that's killing us; people who run more miles are likely to take more painkillers, and maybe its as simple as that:

"WEDNESDAY, April 9, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- A long-term study suggests that older people who use common prescription painkillers, including prescription-strength ibuprofen, may be increasing their risk for developing a type of irregular heartbeat called atrial fibrillation.

Atrial fibrillation increases the risk of stroke and heart failure and can shorten life. Previous studies have also linked these painkillers -- called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs -- to a risk of heart attack and stroke, the researchers noted."

LINK.

Wouldn't surprise me.  A couple of people I know who regularly log 10k or more miles/year on their bikes -- and do some pretty hardcore races, at that -- bring baggies of vitamin I in their jersey pockets and pop 'em like Tic Tacs.  It always makes me cringe.  I can go weeks without taking NSAIDs and these folks are likely taking 400mg+ daily.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

these folks are likely taking 400mg+ daily.

did you mean 4,000?  'cause yeah, that would be crazy high.

but 400 is just 2 tablets.

bap

I have 600mg Ibroprufen capsules at home, though I never use them, which is why I still have them. They were prescribed after I broke a rib.

I remember a news story about a girl in Staten Island who  on died from ODing on Ibruprofen cream. She'd rub it all over her legs before every run.

Certified Running Coach
                        Crocked since 2013

kcam

OK give 'em a break.  Yeah they might have made a few honest mistakes (who doesn't?) but I've been assured it's settled science, FOR SURE, this time.

rmcj001

Settled science?  You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means...

Ray

Maybe...if you are running with the good scissors.

Take my advice: Pull down you're pants and slide on the ice

Feeling the growl again

I have 600mg Ibroprufen capsules at home, though I never use them, which is why I still have them. They were prescribed after I broke a rib.

I remember a news story about a girl in Staten Island who  on died from ODing on Ibruprofen cream. She'd rub it all over her legs before every run.

Ibuprofen or acetominophen?  Big difference in toxicity potential.  It is not as hard to nuke your liver on acetominophen as one may think, especially if you are an alcoholic.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills