Am I Insane or Not? (Read 934 times)

In January 2008 I stepped on the scale at a whopping 254 lbs and it scared the heck out of me, I don't want to end up a diabetic like my father. I am 47 years old BTW. I know there are more factors than just weight but I know a healthy life style is a factor. So...... I started out walking, a bunch, and watched my caloric intake carefully. By the end of May I was down to about 210 and I am now 207 lbs. I was able to start running a little in July but I really started running more in September. At this point I usually get in about 25 miles per week including my long run of 10 miles on the weekend. I am training to run the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon at the end of April but I can't decide if I should just run the 1/2 or if I might be able to run the full marathon (that is where the insane question comes in). At the end of ten miles I cam pretty beat but feel like running more within a hour or so (but I don't so I don't injure myself). Is it possible to run the full marathon or should I stop kidding myself and just stick to the half marathon. I feel like I could go out and run a half tomorrow but the ful seems like such a stretch goal, especially since I am still at about 207 lbs (6'1"). I know if I would stop eating junk again like I did when I lost the first 47lb I would easily lose 15-20 lbs but I am comfortable at my current weight. Should I only run the full if I make myself lose the additional weight? I think I know the answer but wanted to hear it from you guys too. Thanks Sam
    Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's
      It sounds as though you are running for health reasons,: you mention weight and a family history of diabetes in your opening sentence. There is no need to run a marathon to improve your health: I think you will enjoy the challenge of the half, and training for it will help you reach your health objectives. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I guess I should have explained that the full is something that I just WANT to do but I don't want to do something I shouldn't. You are right about why I started in the first place, I am just thinking of pushing myself. It is not about running the marathon for health reasons, although the training definitely does take care of that. I would like to be able to feel proud that I finish a marathon in April and hike to the peak of a CO mountain (13,450 ft) in July. I made it to 13,000+ last July and I can run ten miles. It is a pride thing. Thanks again, Sam
        Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's
          I guess I should have explained that the full is something that I just WANT to do but I don't want to do something I shouldn't. You are right about why I started in the first place, I am just thinking of pushing myself. It is not about running the marathon for health reasons, although the training definitely does take care of that. I would like to be able to feel proud that I finish a marathon in April and hike to the peak of a CO mountain (13,450 ft) in July. I made it to 13,000+ last July and I can run ten miles. It is a pride thing. Thanks again, Sam

Future running partner.

For this year I would stick to the half and see how that goes. Then leave the marathon as another goal once you conquer the half. I am not saying your not capable of running the full one in april. It just would be unpleasent. Running a full takes a lot out of you and can put enough stress on your body that if your not prepared you can be sidelined from running for months due to injury. This is regardless of how much weight you loose. I would run the half and then maybe try to work your way up to being able to run a full one perhaps in the fall.
              That is probably the right thing to do, I really appreciate your input. No need to hurt myself. Thanks Sam

De-slacking in progress

I'm kind of the same story as you, been running/weight lose since April 2008. I'm running the same mileage as you and am training for my first half marathon. I'm still 15# too much, and with my current weekly mileage and after just finishing my first 12 miler last Saturday, i couldn't imagine running a full marathon right now and be happy with my effort or more importantly hurt myself or totally fail at it. I'm excited that this week I will be running the HM distance (not a race) and I know I can do it under two hrs easily. The general advice I've read here on RA is to be patient, and set a goal of not running a full marathon until at least the 2nd full year of running. For me personally- I feel that is sound advise.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Some areas have metric marathons -- 26.2Km (or about 16 miles) -- which is a nice race you can move up to after the half-marathon and before the marathon, if you want a progression and you're fortunate enough to have a metric marathon around.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

peggya111

First, Sam, congratulations on your weight loss. I have also lost a bunch this year. I am 5'2" and a year ago weighed 204 pounds. I am down to 130 with 10 more to go. I started running off and on a few years ago, but got really serious about it six months ago and since having surgery on my feet to get rid of neuromas, I am working to build mileage. I also want to run a marathon, but my plan is to build up to it. I have a 10K scheduled in a couple of weeks and I am registered to run a half in May. My DH and I are also going to run the DisneyWorld Half in 2010 (just because it sounds like fun). Sometime after I have run a couple of halfs, I will decide which marathon to go for. Personally, I don't think you are insane... if you are, then we all are. But, for me, I want to take it a step at a time. There was a point when a 5K was a HUGE effort. Now, I can eat them for lunch. And for someone who was never an athlete and can't hit the backside of a barndoor with a baseball bat, being able to run is big. So, bottom line IMHO -- try a half or two and see how you feel. Follow a good safe program, talk with your local runnning store people and go for a marathon if you want. Keep us posted and good luck.
                    Upcoming Races Disneyland Half AF Halloween Fun Run Disney World Half Ogden Marathon (I think...)
                      Thanks for all your inputs, I really appreciate your help. Looks like the half is the way to go for now, I can always plan on the Tulsa marathon next fall. Happy Holidays to al of you, Sam
                        First, Sam, congratulations on your weight loss. I have also lost a bunch this year. I am 5'2" and a year ago weighed 204 pounds. I am down to 130 with 10 more to go.
                        That is AWESOME! Keep up the great work. Sam
                          I generally agree with the others...... Running a 1/2 is pretty tough...additionally, there is also running a 1/2 in 2 hrs or 1hr 50 mins or 1 hr 40 mins. My point: there is plenty of challenge in the 1/2 - if its the challenge that you want to assume. Concerning runnin a marathon, its your call, but you want to take your time and go into Marathon training with your eyes WIDE OPEN, because there is a HUGE difference between a 1/2 M and a full M...... You can definately work your way up to the 26.2 distance, but dont push it......take your time and savour your accomplishments..... Shocked Shocked Big grin Big grin You are doing really well.......keep it up

Champions are made when no one is watching

PerfesserR posted the world will end in 2012 so there's plenty of time to run your first full. I think the advice to run a half for now is very sound. To answer your original question, if you've chosen to be a runner you're probably at least a little insane but you're in good company. Nothing wrong with a little insanity. Training for a marathon will help you lose more weight Sam, and losing more weight will help you finish a marathon. It's a punishing run, the less you have to carry over the course the better. You've done a GREAT job with the weight loss so far, stories like yours just NEVER get old. Keep up the great work, and keep us posted. Best of luck!

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

To answer your original question, if you've chosen to be a runner you're probably at least a little insane but you're in good company. Nothing wrong with a little insanity.
                              My wife will tell you in plain simple and easy to understand terms....."All runners are crazy and Marathonn runners are the insane among the crazy" are her exact words.......I think she's right... You are iin good company.... Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Feeling the growl again

In January 2008 I stepped on the scale at a whopping 254 lbs and it scared the heck out of me, I don't want to end up a diabetic like my father. I am 47 years old BTW. I know there are more factors than just weight but I know a healthy life style is a factor. So...... I started out walking, a bunch, and watched my caloric intake carefully. By the end of May I was down to about 210 and I am now 207 lbs. I was able to start running a little in July but I really started running more in September. At this point I usually get in about 25 miles per week including my long run of 10 miles on the weekend. I am training to run the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon at the end of April but I can't decide if I should just run the 1/2 or if I might be able to run the full marathon (that is where the insane question comes in). At the end of ten miles I cam pretty beat but feel like running more within a hour or so (but I don't so I don't injure myself). Is it possible to run the full marathon or should I stop kidding myself and just stick to the half marathon. I feel like I could go out and run a half tomorrow but the ful seems like such a stretch goal, especially since I am still at about 207 lbs (6'1"). I know if I would stop eating junk again like I did when I lost the first 47lb I would easily lose 15-20 lbs but I am comfortable at my current weight. Should I only run the full if I make myself lose the additional weight? I think I know the answer but wanted to hear it from you guys too. Thanks Sam
                                With newer runners like you my reply is usually along the lines of -- What is the hurry? Why the need to check the marathon box so quickly? You have so much to experience and gain by doing the shorter races, and so much misery to endure if you feel obligated to run a marathon now. Do the half. See how it feels. You may decide it's great and you are ready for a marathon. Or you may decide that it was a lot tougher than you thought and you don't want to do a marathon. I can promise that, as you keep running and losing weight, you'll enjoy a marathon later a LOT more than this one now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills