5K Pace Based on 10K Pace (Read 2006 times)

Hi all, I am trying to nail down target splits for a 5K coming up. Now that I have a recent race to go by (a 50:30 10K). I was thinking to go shooting for 7:30-7:45 for the first mile, then 7:00 for the second and third, but not sure if this is too aggressive. I have never run a 5K race. Rob (Ohio State) says I could go about 7:45/mi. I wasn't sure if he or others thought I could go even harder, though...

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

SMART Approach

Your 5K will probably avg. 7:45 pace or so which I what I would go out at. I think 7:30 is too aggressive. Nice to do even splits or a negative split in race. Based on your 10K time, I don't see you running 7:00 min miles for any length of time unless you start very conservative and finish strong at 7 min pace. Go out 7:45 - 8:00 pace and crank it last mile. A too fast of start and anaerobic overload will be a challenge to overcome and may lead to a painful and slower finish. Well, 5Ks are painful anyway but they feel a heck of a lot better if you can run that last mile a tad faster (have something left) than the others and sprint in vs. surviving in.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Your 5K will probably avg. 7:45 pace or so which I what I would go out at. I think 7:30 is too aggressive. Nice to do even splits or a negative split in race. Based on your 10K time, I don't see you running 7:00 min miles for any length of time unless you start very conservative and finish strong at 7 min pace. Go out 7:45 - 8:00 pace and crank it last mile. A too fast of start and anaerobic overload will be a challenge to overcome and may lead to a painful and slower finish. Well, 5Ks are painful anyway but they feel a heck of a lot better if you can run that last mile a tad faster (have something left) than the others and sprint in vs. surviving in.
        That sounds like a great strategy, man. Thank you and keep inspiring!

McMillan says your pace in the 10k is about the same as a 7:50 pace in a 5k. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/cgi-bin/calculations.pl

Your log says you did a 5k on the treadmill set at 1% incline on 4/21 in 7:40 pace. Im guessing it was a tempo workout for you. I would think that is a better predictor than your 10k race. Id bet you could run the 5k faster than you did on the treadmill, by maybe 10-15sec/mile. Your original plan sounds good to me, but instead run the whole race even. Maybe shoot for 7:30 the whole way. If you feel good after the 2 mile mark, drop it into gear and kick. Throw my advice out the window if the course is hilly. Then just run the race at even effort.
              Your log says you did a 5k on the treadmill set at 1% incline on 4/21 in 7:40 pace. Im guessing it was a tempo workout for you. I would think that is a better predictor than your 10k race. Id bet you could run the 5k faster than you did on the treadmill, by maybe 10-15sec/mile. Your original plan sounds good to me, but instead run the whole race even. Maybe shoot for 7:30 the whole way. If you feel good after the 2 mile mark, drop it into gear and kick.
              I would agree with this as I told Nader something similiar about his 10k pace on treadmill ( I think was like 8:30) which I felt he would run faster outside. The 7:45 i original guessed was probably a bit conservative. i have never really tried to run race pace on treadmill for extended periods but in generally 30 -60 per mile slower on TM feel about the same to me outside given gophers hill exemption.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

SMART Approach

Your log says you did a 5k on the treadmill set at 1% incline on 4/21 in 7:40 pace. Im guessing it was a tempo workout for you. I would think that is a better predictor than your 10k race. Id bet you could run the 5k faster than you did on the treadmill, by maybe 10-15sec/mile. Your original plan sounds good to me, but instead run the whole race even. Maybe shoot for 7:30 the whole way. If you feel good after the 2 mile mark, drop it into gear and kick. Throw my advice out the window if the course is hilly. Then just run the race at even effort.
                Nader If you did a 5K on treadmill at 7:40 pace, 7:30 pace is definitely possible for a 5K race.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks very much. Looks like the consensus is to go for 7:30 and then maybe kick it in high gear for mile 3. I think the race is going to be fairly (or totally) flat.

dennrunner

Your recent 10K race should be an excellent predictor of your 5K pace. Assuming a similar course, your pace should be 15-20 seconds per mile faster. Run even splits if the course is flat, or slight negative splits if possible. Forget the treadmill as a race pace predictor—since you have an actual race performance to go on.