Barefoot Running - The painful truth about trainers (Read 3941 times)

Interesting article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html If you're interested in barefoot running, have a chat with RA people who are doing it here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/barefoot/ If this has already been posted, someone yell at me and I will delete it!

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Imminent Catastrophe

I love that photo of Jurek and Quimare running--it's a classic example of heel striker vs. forefoot striker: I'd say they both work pretty well but I wouldn't recommend sandals to a heel-striker!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

kcam

Is Jurek, in fact, a heel-striker? I don't think that pic shows that he's a heel-striker (which I doubt). His foot is much further away from ground-strike than the other guy.

Imminent Catastrophe

That was discussed at length on another forum. It's inconclusive but looks to me like he'd really have to snap his foot down rapidly if he were to land on the forefoot.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heels actually look about the same distance above the ground in this pic.
              Sure looks like he heel strikes in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wMt2YBaXB0

On My Horse

barefoot running is a seriously mixed bag. Adding it during cooldowns and stuff might be helpful in strengthening some muscles in your foot, but if you think that starting barefoot running at the age of 30, or 20, or even 15 is going to result in forefoot striking, you are sorely mistaken. Once you train in trainers for any significant amount of time (or, even spend most of your life in regular shoes) no amount of running barefoot is going to be 1. responsible, since the injury risk goes through the roof or 2. seriously beneficial, think about it, if you are able to change your form by going from trainers to barefoot, wouldn't it just change back once you reduce the volume of barefoot running? You can't sustain volume or intensity if you make a serious effort to convert to barefoot running, using it sparingly on grass won't do enough to improve your form. If you have spent your whole career using trainers, you can't just one day say "barefoot from here forward" and keep going like nothing has changed, you either need to phase it in, or seriously cut your volume to accomidate it. I don't see anyone getting faster during that period. And once (if) you adjust to running shoeless, what are you going to do, run exclusively on trails? What happens when you step on a twig that stabs an inch and a half into your foot? The logistics just don't work. If you want to help develop a more neutral/forefoot footstrike, then just focus on landing on your forefoot when doing fast work on the track, and while doing strides. Then when you are racing at those speeds, your body will be adjusted to that kind of form, and you will be able to sustain it for however long is necessary. I think this is the sort of thing that just serves as a huge distraction from just putting in good training. And for the people who say that trainers actually improve the chance of injury, I invite them to attempt to switch to training in flats, but running barefoot is just irresponsible. That is just my two cents.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

barefoot running is a seriously mixed bag. Adding it during cooldowns and stuff might be helpful in strengthening some muscles in your foot, but if you think that starting barefoot running at the age of 30, or 20, or even 15 is going to result in forefoot striking, you are sorely mistaken.
                  Every try it? Even with vibram 5 fingers? You pretty much can't heel strike, or you won't make it around the block.
                  And once (if) you adjust to running shoeless, what are you going to do, run exclusively on trails? What happens when you step on a twig that stabs an inch and a half into your foot? The logistics just don't work.
                  Running on sidewalks isn't that big of deal barefoot, it just takes some getting used it. There are of course risks, like anything in life. .
                  I think this is the sort of thing that just serves as a huge distraction from just putting in good training.
                  So do injuries.
                  And for the people who say that trainers actually improve the chance of injury, I invite them to attempt to switch to training in flats, but running barefoot is just irresponsible.
                  Did you read the article? No offense, but it doesn't seem like it. I am not Mr. Hardcore barefoot runner here, but I think it does each of us good to challenge our preconceived notions. Part of that has to do with understanding how things came about (e.g. Diamond Rings, Running Sneakers, etc.).

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

On My Horse

I am not Mr. Hardcore barefoot runner here, but I think it does each of us good to challenge our preconceived notions. Part of that has to do with understanding how things came about (e.g. Diamond Rings, Running Sneakers, etc.).
                    I've read plenty of articles like it before, circumstance and suspect scientific conjecture, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed. The mechanics of running barefoot are something that your body stops supporting after years of not using them. Trying to go backwards and work in barefoot running just won't work. If people want to discover this for themselves, I can't stop them, but barefoot running will not give people functional benefits.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Imminent Catastrophe

You can't sustain volume or intensity if you make a serious effort to convert to barefoot running, using it sparingly on grass won't do enough to improve your form. If you have spent your whole career using trainers, you can't just one day say "barefoot from here forward" and keep going like nothing has changed, you either need to phase it in, or seriously cut your volume to accomidate it.
                      It can be done but takes a long adjustment period. There are a number of very successful barefoot runners who have adapted from shod heelstriking and can now run marathons or even ultras barefoot. Still a lot more who wear fivefingers which is kind of a compromise.

barefoot running is a seriously mixed bag. Adding it during cooldowns and stuff might be helpful in strengthening some muscles in your foot, but if you think that starting barefoot running at the age of 30, or 20, or even 15 is going to result in forefoot striking, you are sorely mistaken. Once you train in trainers for any significant amount of time (or, even spend most of your life in regular shoes) no amount of running barefoot is going to be 1. responsible, since the injury risk goes through the roof or 2. seriously beneficial, think about it, if you are able to change your form by going from trainers to barefoot, wouldn't it just change back once you reduce the volume of barefoot running? You can't sustain volume or intensity if you make a serious effort to convert to barefoot running, using it sparingly on grass won't do enough to improve your form. If you have spent your whole career using trainers, you can't just one day say "barefoot from here forward" and keep going like nothing has changed, you either need to phase it in, or seriously cut your volume to accomidate it. I don't see anyone getting faster during that period. And once (if) you adjust to running shoeless, what are you going to do, run exclusively on trails? What happens when you step on a twig that stabs an inch and a half into your foot? The logistics just don't work. If you want to help develop a more neutral/forefoot footstrike, then just focus on landing on your forefoot when doing fast work on the track, and while doing strides. Then when you are racing at those speeds, your body will be adjusted to that kind of form, and you will be able to sustain it for however long is necessary. I think this is the sort of thing that just serves as a huge distraction from just putting in good training. And for the people who say that trainers actually improve the chance of injury, I invite them to attempt to switch to training in flats, but running barefoot is just irresponsible. That is just my two cents.
                        Why is running barefoot irresponsible? We evolved to run barefoot. There are plenty of people that do some serious long distance running barefoot that didn't do it from the day they were born. Oh some people switch to barefoot, because trainers have proven to do nothing but injure them. I am switching to barefoot, because I keep getting injured. I have always experienced injury during running, and I am tired of taking time off. In fact, last week I ran in my vibrams, but as soon as I went back to trainers for my long run my leg began to hurt again. however, I don't have enough data to suggest that it was the trainers for sure. i do know I enjoy barefoot more.

I agree with Father Russia. Barefoot may be good for some people, but for most people trainers are a much better option. It is ok to do some striders barefoot, but most people would not be able to run in the areas they live without shoes. Most of my miles are on asphalt, and that would be pretty bad in the summer if the sun is out. Trails are good too, but like Father Russia said, you are one sharp rock and stubbed toe away from not being able to run. To each his own, but unless you have super tough feet you may end up having more injuries if you try barefoot running for any sustained amount of disance. The previous poster has some evidence of this in their log. Barefoot running may be good in theory, but not very practical for most.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

most people would not be able to run in the areas they live without shoes. Most of my miles are on asphalt, and that would be pretty bad in the summer if the sun is out. Trails are good too, but like Father Russia said, you are one sharp rock and stubbed toe away from not being able to run.
                            I cringe thinking of the surfaces I regularly run on...chip sealed rural roads (they lay down tar and then sharp gravel that eventually flattens out as cars drive over it and the sun heats it), snow, ice, broken beer bottles (rural roads = rednecks chucking bottles from their pick-up trucks), dog shit, roadkill, vibrators (no joke). No thanks, I'll keep my shoes. Dead

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I cringe thinking of the surfaces I regularly run on...chip sealed rural roads (they lay down tar and then sharp gravel that eventually flattens out as cars drive over it and the sun heats it), snow, ice, broken beer bottles (rural roads = rednecks chucking bottles from their pick-up trucks), dog shit, roadkill, vibrators (no joke). No thanks, I'll keep my shoes. Dead
                              You sure you don't live in Kansas?

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You sure you don't live in Kansas?
                                MI -- it's the new Kansas. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay