easy run pace (Read 2156 times)

keeponrunning

just wondering how fast your easy run pace is compared to your race pace.  mine seems to vary from 1:00 to 1:30 min per km slower.  is this a good pace?

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My marathon race pace is 1min30s slower than my 5KM race pace, and my 5KM race pace is 45s slower than my mile race pace, so for me it depends a *lot* on which race pace you mean. (I think people who are better at the marathon have marathon race paces not so much slower than their 5KM paces, unlike myself.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

GST

I don't think pace really matters for easy runs -- I do mine based on effort, making sure it truly is EASY.  As far as I'm concerned, my point on easy runs is to refresh myself not wear myself down.

I'm going to assume you mean 5K race pace for a frame of reference....

My easy runs (and I include recovery runs all under this category, they'll be at the slower end and normal easy runs at the faster end) are probably hmm 2:15 - 3 minutes per mile slower than 5K race pace would be right now.  Which works out to... 1:20 to 1:40 min/km slower ... if I'm doing the math right.   (Long runs are faster)

I use this

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

and sometimes do easy runs even slower.

I use the McMillan calculator to get an idea, but in the end I do my easy runs based on what I feel is an easy pace.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The King of Beasts

KeepOR

just go with it, I was looking at my log and in the last two weeks my easy pace has ranged from 7:40's to 9:30's on the same course.  if the pace feels easy than it is easy, I think.  and I raced a 5k this morning in 5:41's (not great, not bad). 

the biggest factor for me is sleep, if I get up at 4am i know 8:45's is all I am going to get from myself, if I run at night, with a good lunch and lots of water throught the day between 7:30's and 7:50's feel easy.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

uncontrollable

well put - go by feel, that's what I usually do, so many variables come into play but the bottom line is ... an EASY run should feel easy

peace

I always run fast enough that the hill take a little effort, but slow enough that I could talk the whole way through the run (if I was running with someone).
                  If I go by feel for easy runs, my easy runs never end up being easy in terms of getting ready for the next hard day.

I was advised to keep my easy runs approximately 2 min/mile slower than 5K race pace -- absolutely no faster, and it was okay to run 2:30 min/mile slower and still reap benefits. 

It was a pace slower than I naturally want to run and difficult to follow (hence the GPS watch), but when I started following that guideline, I was ready to train harder on the hard days. Before using this principle I never felt rested enough for the hard days and my hard days suffered.

I've seen this guideline referenced before on the "younger legs for older runners" site in reference to some pretty strong masters runners. 

The guide I have used for determining my approximate pace for various runs is at this URL

http://runbayou.com/jackd.htm

I find it very easy to use and understand.   Additionally, the information in this web site describe the various pace, and what they are for.......check it out -- I think you will get some good info..

Champions are made when no one is watching

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Depends on what race distance we're talking about. Like many others have said, I run them easy and whatever that pace is, it is. In general though my easy pace is just over 2 min slower than my 5k race pace.
                        I think I have been guilty of running my easys to hard recently. My badebuilding phase starts officially next week and I'm going to slow down some. I really felt my legs in my half yesterday at mile 9ish and I bet running to fast in training is a part of that.

Why is it sideways?

Just run, baby.
                          Scout7

just wondering how fast your easy run pace is compared to your race pace.  mine seems to vary from 1:00 to 1:30 min per km slower.  is this a good pace?

Ideal for you might not be ideal for me, or anyone else.

Easy is, well, easy.  You can measure effort by any number of ways, pace, heart rate, perceived effort.

jeffdonahue

I guess it depends on what race distance you are talking about.  My easy pace is 8:15-8:45.

My marathon pace was 8:36 (should have been faster but my calves seized up on me)

My HM pace is 7:36

My 10K pace is about 7:05

My 5K pace is 6:24

These are all min/mile, not kilometer.

Anywhere from 1:00 to 2:00/km slower for me.