easy run pace (Read 2156 times)

Nice thread to see what paces others run - really helpful. 

Below are my paces, I've made decent progress with these Easy and Recovery paces.  I don't really pay much attention to my Easy and, especially, my Recovery run paces until after the run and I upload the Garmin data. My recovery runs are those on the day after a very hard race or workout although lately I've been using more races in place of workouts.  

Recovery 
     9:00/mile
    Easy  8:30/mile
    Marathon Pace
     6:45/mile
    1/2 Mar Pace
     6:20/mile
    10K Pace
     6:10/mile
    5K Pace
     6:00/mile

it always amazes me that people can have 20 seconds difference between 5k pace and half-marathon pace.  For me I'd be considering it a win if I could get that spread down to 50 seconds. 

spinach

it always amazes me that people can have 20 seconds difference between 5k pace and half-marathon pace.  For me I'd be considering it a win if I could get that spread down to 50 seconds. 

My race paces are pretty close to what Ken listed with again with the 20 second spread between 5k and half -marathon.  Several people have told me  that the reason for this is that I don't run 5k's hard enough.  I agree , 5k's are tough and too painful, so I don't go hard enough.

The big difference I have with the paces that Ken mentioned is my "easy" pace is more like 7:30-7:45 or a little less than a minute slower than my marathon pace. 

The King of Beasts

I drank beer all afternoon.  It helped. 

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ken is very consistent across the board, but if you plug his PR's into the VO2max calculator, you'll find that his 5k is slightly weaker than his 1/2 marathon.  Thus, the tight spread between the two.  If Ken ran a 5k commensurate with his 1/2mar PR, the spread would be about 30 seconds.  Which is still excellent -- far better than most of us, who tend to post weaker races as the distance increases.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

This is interesting because I don't have nearly as large a spread between my race paces and easy runs (as Ken and some others do).

If I use McMillan based on my marathon PR (8:08 pace) it gives me...

Easy 8:38-9:08 (or to 9:38 for long runs)

I generally go by feel and don't feel like I am pushing it too much on my easy days. Should I slow down my easy pace?

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

kcam

I think Jeffgoblue has it exactly right in that only a 20second spread probably means the 5K is soft.  Until I made a specific push to drop my 5K and 10K times this past year the gap between my fastest marathon and fastest 5K was only 30seconds.  Talk about being soft at the short distances!

This past summer I ran a bunch of track races at the local All Comers meets to try attack my 5K times.  I think it helped immensely to run 400m, 800m, 1500m, 1mile and 2mile races.  I never ran in HS so I missed out on all that track fun when I was young.   The first 400m race I ran I literally almost passed out just before the finish line.  As I was approaching the finish my arms and legs were tingling and I wondered if I'd even be able to cross the finish line.  I had never felt that sensation in all my years of running.   I had run a 70.7 second 400 and finished second-to-last in the second heat of the day (first heat was for the fast guys).  71 seconds is SLOW!  There were guys in that heat that I absolutely destroy at 5K/10K/HalfMarathon that ran 65 seconds! 

I guess my point with that look-at-me paragraph is that most of us older and maybe new-to-the-game runners have never REALLY run fast.  I had run sub-3 marathons before this past summer but that is just really a cruise.  I think you have to train yourself mentally, as well as physically, to allow yourself to run closer to your potential at short distances.

spinach

I guess my point with that look-at-me paragraph is that most of us older and maybe new-to-the-game runners have never REALLY run fast.  I had run sub-3 marathons before this past summer but that is just really a cruise.  I think you have to train yourself mentally, as well as physically, to allow yourself to run closer to your potential at short distances.

I agree with that.  It is much easier to go into a cruise mode on a long race and just stay there than it is to really push yourself in a shorter one.  That is why I am a distance runner and don't do those short races, I am just too lazy to run the shorter races.

Why is it sideways?

I will never forget my first 400m race, as a high school freshman. I approached it with a distance runner's mindset: imagining a pace I should sustain as I went out, making sure not to hurt too early, etc.

I got smoked. I finished last. I remember thinking: "That's unfair: they sprinted the whole way!"

The next race, I decided come hell or high water to sprint the whole way. It hurt a lot worse. I ran 5 seconds faster.

Such is the role of belief in running. It's much more evident in young runners, but this is only because, for them, it is much easier to change their beliefs about who they are as a runner.

I agree with that.  It is much easier to go into a cruise mode on a long race and just stay there than it is to really push yourself in a shorter one.  That is why I am a distance runner and don't do those short races, I am just too lazy to run the shorter races.

LOL, you called yourself lazy... I've seen your 10K times. To improve from 34ish to 30ish after college doesnt' fit the lazy category.

gregw

I agree with "easy runs feel easy," but to put some numbers to it, you can play with the McMillan calculator.  You'll see that it puts easy runs at 30-60 secs per mile slower than marathon pace and recovery runs at 60-90 secs slower.  I think I'm just a wimp, but my marathon PR is 3:15 (7:27 pace) and I consider < 8:30 to be moderate and run easy runs at ~9:00-9:15 and recovery runs at 9:30+.

I have a theory that Americans at least have some obsession with the 10 minute mile (not sure what the metric "barrier " is) and everybody's easy runs tend to end up faster than that even if they should be running slower.  I went to the track today and did some intervals.  I was doing 1600s at HM effort and passing people jogging around the track at 10 minute miles and breathing harder than me.  I did the same thing when I was on the "run for 2 months every two years" program.  It wasn't until I let myself shuffle at who-knows-how-slow (12+?) that I built my mileage and got in shape.

Marylander

Heh, I long for the day when I can do sub 10 minute miles for my easy runs. I've said that to my daughter (who runs with me) many, many times. Right now I'm just glad that I'm no longer doing 13-14 minute miles on easy days (and so is my daughter, who is faster than me).

Kirk

JimR

II have a theory that Americans at least have some obsession with the 10 minute mile (not sure what the metric "barrier " is) and everybody's easy runs tend to end up faster than that even if they should be running slower.  I went to the track today and did some intervals.  I was doing 1600s at HM effort and passing people jogging around the track at 10 minute miles and breathing harder than me.  I did the same thing when I was on the "run for 2 months every two years" program.  It wasn't until I let myself shuffle at who-knows-how-slow (12+?) that I built my mileage and got in shape.

It's a tough one to learn.  To look at it from the perspective of the 2monthsevery2years type of crowd (excluding the new you :-) ), they won't really make that investment of time.  From that, I'm not sure how much there is to gain, if anything, by really reducing those effort levels.  For the folks that do want to improve and are willing to make a decent level of commitment, they're the ones that really need to slow it down.

I have a theory that Americans at least have some obsession with the 10 minute mile (not sure what the metric "barrier " is) and everybody's easy runs tend to end up faster than that even if they should be running slower.  I went to the track today and did some intervals.  I was doing 1600s at HM effort and passing people jogging around the track at 10 minute miles and breathing harder than me.  I did the same thing when I was on the "run for 2 months every two years" program.  It wasn't until I let myself shuffle at who-knows-how-slow (12+?) that I built my mileage and got in shape.

I think you are right.   I can tell  you that I spent half of my 30's and 40's either injured or not running because I always  started running/training too fast......from my 30's to early 50's I only had one or two 40 mile weeks.........after I got into RA and started reading what people were saying about slowing WAY WAY down and get in the miles is when I started to build strengh and improve as a runner...................now i pretty consistently run 40 MPW and am getting strength and its all because I finally slowed down to a training pace that my body could handle.....

That slow down to get faster thing really works.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

gregw

It's a tough one to learn.  To look at it from the perspective of the 2monthsevery2years type of crowd (excluding the new you :-) ), they won't really make that investment of time.  From that, I'm not sure how much there is to gain, if anything, by really reducing those effort levels.  For the folks that do want to improve and are willing to make a decent level of commitment, they're the ones that really need to slow it down.

You make a good point.  If you're trying to get the best bang for your buck then some intensity is probably a good thing as long as you don't get injured or get turned off by the unpleasantness.  My brother, for instance, has really whipped himself into shape on an elliptical.

uncontrollable

just wondering how fast your easy run pace is compared to your race pace.  mine seems to vary from 1:00 to 1:30 min per km slower.  is this a good pace?

That's pretty much what I do.  Some days - depending on previous nights social festivities, the workday, or mood ... may even go a little slower.  I do a pace I feel like I could run forever.  That is 'easy' to me.

peace