easy run pace (Read 2156 times)

2-2:30 slower

Interesting thread because I'm trying to tweak mine.  Felt like I was doing too many runs at the same pace and getting flat.

5K race pace - based on tempo runs should be 6:15/mile (I've done a couple very hilly races this fall slower than this).  Have no doubts I could run low 19's or better on a flat course.

5 mile tempo pace - 6:38 (treadmill)

My easy runs had all been 7:45-8:00/mile pace.  It was getting to the point I could guess my time on any given run and be within 10-15 seconds.  Therefore - 1:15-1:45/mile slower depending on how you look at it.

Trying to vary this - one faster run per week (7:13/mile for 4 last night), one easy/recovery at 8:15/mile pace or so, rest are in that 7:45-8:00 range but adding striders and pickups to vary the pace a little.  Plus one tempo run.  Trying to develop some strength (I don't do track intervals - but hockey season starts next week!). 

I need to run more miles/week too!  Once I can do that my race times will come down but the gap between training/racing pace usually stays about the same.

xor

Easy runs are interesting.  And my Garmin... which I've had for a couple months only... is teaching me lots.

If I go out for a "sightseeing" run and pay absolutely no attention to my pace, I run 10:00 miles.  It's actually a little creepy how steady/even I can be with that.

If I pay slight attention and subtly speed up, I can run 8:30-10:00 miles at an "easy" pace as measured by perceived effort.  Some days, it is closer to 8:30, some days in the 9s.  Phase of the moon, what I ran the day before, etc... all affect this.  The important point is that if I turn my brain off, I'm back to 10:00 miles no matter what.  But if I pay attention, I can run faster w/o it taxing me.

For the record, my current half marathon pace is 7:15, and I believe... though I will be testing this soon and haven't yet... that my marathon pace is in the 7:30-7:40 range.

Easy runs are interesting.  And my Garmin... which I've had for a couple months only... is teaching me lots.

If I go out for a "sightseeing" run and pay absolutely no attention to my pace, I run 10:00 miles.  It's actually a little creepy how steady/even I can be with that.

If I pay slight attention and subtly speed up, I can run 8:30-10:00 miles at an "easy" pace as measured by perceived effort.  Some days, it is closer to 8:30, some days in the 9s.  Phase of the moon, what I ran the day before, etc... all affect this.  The important point is that if I turn my brain off, I'm back to 10:00 miles no matter what.  But if I pay attention, I can run faster w/o it taxing me.

My experience has been quite similar.  Based on your overall experience as a runner, do you feel it is better to pay attention and run at the faster pace (still not taxed), or not pay attention and run at 10:00? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

I don't know yet.  I do know that it depends on the run.  For recovery runs, I'm sticking with not paying attention.  For plain ol' runs, I am going to spend the next 2 months paying attention (I started paying attention about a month ago... so three months total).  I'll learn what, if any, effect it has on me.

Also... if I chose to run more 50 milers or delve into 100s, my ability to turn off my brain, relax, and float downstream at a consistent pace that I can keep for hours and hours would be mighty helpful.  The problem is that 50s and 100s are generally held on trails and require a bit of route management - meaning that if I truly did shut down my brain, I'd wind up lost or with a broken leg.  But none of that matters because I've hung up my trail running shoes for awhile if not forever.

Prince of Fatness

I checked my log and this year all my runs that are categorized as easy average to a 9:24 pace.  I ran a 5K PR this year at a 6:37 pace.  I never thought to look at it until now.

Not at it at all. 

I don't know yet.  I do know that it depends on the run.  For recovery runs, I'm sticking with not paying attention.  For plain ol' runs, I am going to spend the next 2 months paying attention (I started paying attention about a month ago... so three months total).  I'll learn what, if any, effect it has on me.

Also... if I chose to run more 50 milers or delve into 100s, my ability to turn off my brain, relax, and float downstream at a consistent pace that I can keep for hours and hours would be mighty helpful.  The problem is that 50s and 100s are generally held on trails and require a bit of route management - meaning that if I truly did shut down my brain, I'd wind up lost or with a broken leg.  But none of that matters because I've hung up my trail running shoes for awhile if not forever.

SRL,

The recovery/easy run dichotomy you pointed out is interesting.  I think I am a little disappointed with not hitting my goal at my last race and am subconsciously trying to prove to myself that my easy pace is faster than it really is. 

Consequently, the nagging tightness in my left calf remains and is starting to affect other things.  

Do you tend to lean towards the "recovery pace" for weeks after a race or just a few days?

Tater,

I remember from your race report that your calf muscle went bezerk on you near the end of your race.  How did you deal with it post-race?

Why is it sideways?

srlopez is money today.

The distinction is between recovery and easy pace. Or between jogging and running. Typically, when training, it's better to concentrate a bit and run. But if you're coming off a hard effort, it's also nice to be able to chill and just jog around.

i sacrificed the gift

I always chill and relax (I like to call this strategy 'chillaxing', and this is a concept which transcends running) on easy runs.  I have absolutely no idea what pace or distance I ran today, or yesterday.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                    Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                    Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
                    xor

Do you tend to lean towards the "recovery pace" for weeks after a race or just a few days?

I'm the wrong person to ask.  I tend to go run another race.

Prince of Fatness

Tater,

I remember from your race report that your calf muscle went bezerk on you near the end of your race.  How did you deal with it post-race?

I drank beer all afternoon.  It helped.  Other than that nothing.  It was sore for a couple of days, but other than that it didn't bother me much.

Not at it at all. 

I'm the wrong person to ask.  I tend to go run another race.

I thought about that as I was typing the question, but then thought, "This guy can't possibly be racing every weekend, can he?"

mta: grammar

SMART Approach

I am not a fan of the term "easy" pace or "slow". I prefer to use "comfortable" and "very comfortable". Most long runs and general training pace runs should be at a comfortable pace. A general rule is around 2 min per mile slower than what you can run a 5K race today.  Very comfortable is recovery pace and slower than that or as slow as you need to go without worrying about pace.

With that being said, if one does not do "quality" work outs each week and/or runs only 3-4 days per week, these paces can be pushed a bit once or twice per week. A long run at 1:30 min slower than 5K pace is a strong aerobic  run and can be labeled "quality". I like these personally along with fast finish long runs when getting closer to a race like a half marathon. There is nothing wrong with adding some quality within a long run.  It will make you stronger.

I am a 4 day a week runner with some hammy issues so I may be a little more aggressive in daily runs because it is difficult for me to get in quality work other than an occasional race.  I also have a strong aerobic foundation over the years. I generally recommend a HR of 73-77% of max HR for comfortable run pace. For me I am running 70-72% of max at a pace 2 min slower than 5K pace. That is just fine but I like to get at or over 75% of max on training runs. A lady I coach runs around 2 min slower than 5K pace and her HR is around 80-82% of max. This is still comfortable for her but she is still developing her aerobic capacity but I don't tell her to slow down. I think pace is more valuable than % of max but I follow both because I am numbers man and I monitor pace and HRs in training and in races.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

Nice thread to see what paces others run - really helpful. 

Below are my paces, I've made decent progress with these Easy and Recovery paces.  I don't really pay much attention to my Easy and, especially, my Recovery run paces until after the run and I upload the Garmin data. My recovery runs are those on the day after a very hard race or workout although lately I've been using more races in place of workouts.  

Recovery 
                               9:00/mile
                              Easy  8:30/mile
                              Marathon Pace
                               6:45/mile
                              1/2 Mar Pace
                               6:20/mile
                              10K Pace
                               6:10/mile
                              5K Pace
                               6:00/mile

Might depend on what you mean by "easy".  You probably won't go too far wrong using the McMillan calculator or the Team Oregon Pace Wizard.

Of course "race pace" depends on what you mean by "race".

I don't know your age, but here's what it was like for me over 30 years ago at age 40 or 41:

1 mile                     --     5:45/mi    (kicked last mile of a 10K race)

5K                           --     6:10/mi    (estimate... never ran many)

best 15K                --     6:23/mi    

best marathon          -- 6:45/mi    (no breaks)

40 mile training run -- 8:30/mi    (averaged pace... some restroom or drink breaks)

100K (temp 85F)     --  9:02/mi    (averaged pace... 11 restroom breaks in there, drink on the run)

My "easy" run pace was 8:30 - 9:00/mi, like the 64K training run or 100K warm race in the sun.

MTA: detail on the race paces.