3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

For you local Indiana types I tried Daredevils (Shelbyville) Muse last night. It is a great Belgian. A little sweet but very very good. These boys know their brew.

Sorry for those not in the area as they don't bottle yet. Only at bars

+1

I had one today. It was very good. Fruity, yeasty, and spicy with a touch of sweetness. Good stuff.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

For you local Indiana types I tried Daredevils (Shelbyville) Muse last night. It is a great Belgian. A little sweet but very very good. These boys know their brew.

Sorry for those not in the area as they don't bottle yet. Only at bars

One of my coworkers was raving about their IPA.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Indy/Chicago/Midwest peeps, please:

Next week, Founders will release their KBS stout. I would love 12+ bottles. No need to get them to me stat, just get em stored. I am good for the cost. + beers. It may go fast, and may be allocated to a small number of bottles, but should not be too tough to gather the bottles.

Thanks Smile

Tomorrow.

Maybe today!

Thanks!

Feeling the growl again

Tomorrow.

Maybe today!

Thanks!

I am stopping on the way home to get on "the list".

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Wed at the earliest around Carmel

Tomorrow.

Maybe today!

Thanks!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I am stopping on the way home to get on "the list".

Yeah.

One bottle per person on the list.  Does not look promising.

However, the list is very short and I signed in right after WhoDat, who signed in several days ago.

If they get more than a 12-pack, we may get lucky.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks guys. Always remember, take friends with you. Friends who don't like to drink beer.

Prince of Fatness

Friends who don't like to drink beer.

They exist?

Not at it at all. 

Indy/Chicago/Midwest peeps, please:

Next week, Founders will release their KBS stout. I would love 12+ bottles. No need to get them to me stat, just get em stored. I am good for the cost. + beers. It may go fast, and may be allocated to a small number of bottles, but should not be too tough to gather the bottles.

Thanks Smile

picked up 2 bottles today since that's all the store would sell me..it was good, but not worth jumping through hoops..has a good coffee flavor and very smooth texture,  but you don't get nearly as much barrel or bourbon flavor as you do with bourbon county stuff

Prince of Fatness

picked up 2 bottles today since that's all the store would sell me..it was good, but not worth jumping through hoops..has a good coffee flavor and very smooth texture,  but you don't get nearly as much barrel or bourbon flavor as you do with bourbon county stuff

My experience with these bourbon aged beers is that the bourbon tends to come out more as the beer ages.  Weyerbacher has a bourbon aged stout each year and I have done side by side taste tests between a fresh one and one from a prior year.  Much more bourbon flavor in the older one.

MTA: Plenty of Founders here and I have never seen that one.  May be one that they have behind the counter and you have to ask for it.

Not at it at all. 

My experience with these bourbon aged beers is that the bourbon tends to come out more as the beer ages.  Weyerbacher has a bourbon aged stout each year and I have done side by side taste tests between a fresh one and one from a prior year.  Much more bourbon flavor in the older one.

MTA: Plenty of Founders here and I have never seen that one.  May be one that they have behind the counter and you have to ask for it.

Have you tried goose island bourbon county stout? That is a bourbon bomb and I mean that in a good way. Probably the best bourbon barrel aged beer I've tried.  I had a KBS from 2011 and it didn't have any bourbon flavor either and the coffee was pretty much gone. It's definitely a beer that drinks better fresh. If you are really looking for a great Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee stout I'd suggest you seek out Central Waters Peruvian Morning. The ratings on BA don't show it, but It's just a tick below the GI bourbon county coffee stout

and yes you probably have to ask or be on a waiting list for the Founders KBS. It's very limited. Only the top Founders product moving stores in the state are getting any and most are lucky to get a single case

Prince of Fatness

Have you tried goose island bourbon county stout?

No but I believe that I have a bottle from the beer fairy in my basement.  I will probably wait until next winter to drink it.

Hmm, it is possible that the coffee overpowers the bourbon flavor.  The one from Weyerbacher (Heresy) that I spoke of is just a RIS aged in bourbon barrels, no coffee.  It comes out every year and I never drink them fresh (except for sampling at the brewery).  It is real good and much better aged than fresh.  They do a barleywine and quad aged as well and my experience with those is the same.  Better with age.

But then again I prefer most heavier beers aged.  This time of year I stock up on winter beers to age for the next winter season.

Not at it at all. 

Hmm, it is possible that the coffee overpowers the bourbon flavor.  The one from Weyerbacher (Heresy) that I spoke of is just a RIS aged in bourbon barrels, no coffee.  It comes out every year and I never drink them fresh (except for sampling at the brewery).  It is real good and much better aged than fresh.  They do a barleywine and quad aged as well and my experience with those is the same.  Better with age.

But then again I prefer most heavier beers aged.  This time of year I stock up on winter beers to age for the next winter season.

I don't think that's the case for the KBS, but maybe for some others. I think the barrel aging is subtle where the goose island is not. I agree that some BA stouts definitely benefit from age, but others drink better fresh. Supposedly the Goose Island is awesome with a year or two on it. I can't imagine it getting better because i like the heavy bourbon barrel character it has fresh, but I have a few bottles to age and see.  Some others tend to be so hop forward that you can not taste anything because it's masked by the hops or they are a hot mess and need time to come together and mellow out (neither of these apply to the KBS). I drain poured victory storm king because it was a bitter hop bomb with zero stout characteristics. I'm sure it would have been a different beer in a year.

Prince of Fatness

I drain poured victory storm king because it was a bitter hop bomb with zero stout characteristics.

Dude that beer is delicious, but I will admit that it is a borderline Black IPA.

Reminds me that I have a corked bottle of Dark Intrigue which is bourbon barrel aged Storm King.  I don't even remember when I bought it ... at least a year ago.  Maybe I will have it next winter.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

I drain poured victory storm king because it was a bitter hop bomb with zero stout characteristics. I'm sure it would have been a different beer in a year.

Damn. I thought I as the only one who thought this beer was shiet. It had a great nose and was chemical to the taste. Sorry tater. This one plain sucked for me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/