3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Yesterday was my first proper hill run. I didn't hurt (injure) myself but I do hurt (sore) today!

It's about time I guess. This thread started in November. Hope it's nothing serious with the hammy and heel. I ran a 50k Saturday night at a decent pace then did my first tempo run in a while yesterday. Didn't hurt as much as I expected, but I feel slow.

~Sara
      It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Hawt and sexy

I don't wanna talk about .

I'm touching your pants.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I have hurt myself. Achilles is worse than ever. After giving it 4 months of rest. Not sure what to do.

Feeling the growl again

I have hurt myself. Achilles is worse than ever. After giving it 4 months of rest. Not sure what to do.

Is it a runnable injury or something that stops you?  The couple times I've had Achilles injuries it eventually cleared up after a lot of stretching etc...but I was probably lucky.

Surprisingly, I ran a decent amount yesterday and yet the heel improved from 24 hours ago.  Part of it may be that I stopped being a cheap bastard and bought 2 new pairs of running shoes and 2 new pairs of work shoes to make sure it has plenty of cushioning all day.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

Andy - previously I have run through it. In fact it got better the more miles I ran. This time is different. I hobbled through 5 mi this morning, barely faster than 10:00 pace. Now I can barely walk. I am pretty depressed.

Feeling the growl again

Andy - previously I have run through it. In fact it got better the more miles I ran. This time is different. I hobbled through 5 mi this morning, barely faster than 10:00 pace. Now I can barely walk. I am pretty depressed.

Man that is discouraging.  I don't know what to tell you.  I know how I felt hobbling around on one foot last weekend and having to take days off.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Tom - I once had a hell of a time with achilles issues. After trying nearly every damn thing I could think to try, I ended up using Trigger Point self massage to solve the underlying root cause. The book I used was Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Davies. Ironically, Wikipedia has some great e-resource references on this as well. Might be owrth a look.

Hope you heal up soon.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hope you heal up soon.

+1

Queen of 3rd Place

I don't wanna talk about .

What happened?

Ex runner

Achilles aren't fun.  Both of mine flared up early September and derailed what I had hoped to be a decent showing at the Chicago marathon.  Same thing happened in 2007.  After a couple of months of cross-training, I'm finally feeling pretty good with the achilles.  I spent much of November working the calf muscles and stretching.  For me the root cause of the achilles is weak calf muscles.  Once I finally get this stupid behind the knee, inside tendon/muscle thing figured out, I know what I need to going forward.

On a separate note, I have another running buddy that was derailed early last year due to the achilles.  After weeks of ignoring it, scar tissue built up on the achilles and he still has that nodule there.  He took pretty much the whole rest of the year off and is still struggling with the tightness and inflammation.  It's not good and I feel bad him as he just wants to go out and run.  Hang in there!

Feeling the growl again

I probably shouldn't mention that both Dick Beardsley's and Alberto Salazar's professional careers were effectivey ended by ruptured Achilles.....

DoppleBock

Damn it man - Get better! 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I had a preiod of time I was in constant battle with both my achillies - Before I had them replaced with steel cables.

About 8 weeks of running in tearful pain - 2400mg of ibuprofen a day - 2x a day of alternating ice water and scalding hot water buckets - 5 minutes in each x 5 reps - No fast running ... I am lucky eventually it passed with only missing 3 days.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Have you tried deep tissue therapy? It is possible that there is something really, really tightly wound up there (or for all you know in your hamstrings) that is causing a painful grabbing/pulling of your achilles. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus