3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

Wow, some good race times in here!

I've been slowly warming to the idea of a triathlon.  As a runner coming to both swimming and cycling (love cycling, hate swimming), I agree with spaniel's assessment.  But not even a well-conditioned cyclist/runner can make up for being a really, really shitty swimmer.  Treading water and cursing doesn't lead to a high finish place.

As bad as I am now, I was much worse when I started.  I could barely swim 50 yards without feeling like my heart was about to explode.  A swim coach taught me how to swim so that I didn't run out of air, and could breathe.  Breathing is important.  You can go 40+ days without food, about 3 without water, but just a few minutes without breathing.  (That's what I use to tell my son when he said he was "starving").  Anyway, it's pretty fun. Eventually I hope my swim gets better, but for now I'm still at the point that my race doesn't start until I get out of the water.

You should definitely try one.  You may surprise yourself.

Since it looks like all of the results are in that will come in....

The beer for this month goes to AP for his 5-mile PR....not just because he ran a 5-mile PR but because it was the day after barely missing his 10-mile goal and due to running a crapload of miles this year.

Honorable mention's to SeanV2 and wannaberunner... you guys keep making me THINK about this each time.  Now if Ben had posted a goal and if that really was a 5K PR I may have had to think about that too... Wink

Congrats AP! 2 races in 2 days with a PR the second day, definitely deserves a beer!

Congrats to SeanV and Wannabee.

This looks like fun!  I've never done a Tri.  Congrats!

Thanks Wannabe, they are fun, especially once you get out of the water. Smile

Tony, congrats on GJCC! I liked that one when I did tris. I remember getting a $15 gift card to acme when I did it....but no awesome tile Sad

Thanks Candice, yep it's an acme gift card.  I was surprised they gave tiles too. I think they usually give cups and stuff... not sure though, I haven't been on the podium before.

Since it looks like all of the results are in that will come in....

The beer for this month goes to AP for his 5-mile PR....not just because he ran a 5-mile PR but because it was the day after barely missing his 10-mile goal and due to running a crapload of miles this year.

Honorable mention's to SeanV2 and wannaberunner... you guys keep making me THINK about this each time.  Now if Ben had posted a goal and if that really was a 5K PR I may have had to think about that too... Wink

Some nice racing last month.  It's shaping up to be a good summer of racing in the Hurtlocker!  Keep it going so we can at least keep Spaniel on his toes.

Was it all a dream?

Yeah.  Obviously you can be good at both..."runner" being bad as swimming meant runner first.  Swimming is a technique sport and if you approach training for it the way you train for running you will not be successful.  Runners thing MORE....HARDER....technique sports start with DO IT RIGHT....until then MORE and HARDER are pretty meaningless.

Very true.  I think it's a good idea to put kids on a swim team at a young age (I started just after my 6th birthday).  It's low impact and allows for aerobic development, and if the kids are anything like me, by the time high school rolls around, they'll be so bored with the monotomy of "the endless back and forth", that running should seem like this wildly exciting thing.  And if for some reason they actually enjoy swimming, it's a winter sport, so it doesn't conflict with either of the running seasons.

Was it all a dream?

Now if Ben had posted a goal and if that really was a 5K PR I may have had to think about that too... Wink

Ha! No recognition expected.  I think this whole goal posting thing may be a bit of a jinx for me.  I posted my marathon goal and... disaster.  No 1mi, 5k, 10k, or HM goals posted and... PR, PR, PR, and PR. 

Btw, the 5k PR was particularly satisfying as it took 4+ years to pull it off  Smile

Very nice, Ben.  Reminds me of that passage from Once a Runner

In the world of the runner, as in the ocean, there is a hierarchy of ferocity. The swift blue runner is eaten by the slashing barracuda, which is eaten by the awesome mako shark. In track, such relative positions are fixed more or less in black and white and are altered only at great and telling expense. Pride necessarily sprouts and grows; a pride that can only come from relentless kneading of unwilling flesh, painful ages of grinding and burning away all that is heavy, all that is strength-sapping and useless to the body as a projectile. The runner becomes, alas, haughty. He looks to those stronger with respect and fear, to those slower with sympathy or tolerance (they trod ground he has long since covered). The jettisoning of but a single second is announced like the birth of a first born. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

No 1mi, 5k, 10k, or HM goals posted and... PR, PR, PR, and PR.

Hopefully not all in the same race!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Was it all a dream?

Hopefully not all in the same race!

Heh.  No such luck.  I'll leave the crazy multiple PR races to the Candice's of the world Smile

Feeling the growl again

Ha! No recognition expected.  I think this whole goal posting thing may be a bit of a jinx for me.  I posted my marathon goal and... disaster.  No 1mi, 5k, 10k, or HM goals posted and... PR, PR, PR, and PR. 

Btw, the 5k PR was particularly satisfying as it took 4+ years to pull it off  Smile

Dude, nice....throw a bit more 5K-paced work in there and I bet you'd rip 20-25sec off that 5K in a single race....the engine has to be there with all the miles....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Heh.  No such luck.  I'll leave the crazy multiple PR races to the Candice's of the world Smile

That was one race!! It's not my fault there are so many distances to PR at over the course of 25k....

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Treading water and cursing doesn't lead to a high finish place.

What fond memories this brings back of water polo practice -- and the Schadenfreude of seeing the goalie have to hold a chair in the air whilst the rest of us didn't.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks Spaniel and everyone else.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.