3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

January 2014 Race Thread (Read 39 times)

kcam

Sweet!  Didn't realize this is a hometowner for you.  That's the way to go for a new PR ... sleep in your own bed, ride a nice coach to the start.  BTW, the best Boston I ever ran was when my Dad knew someone in the "Irish American Running Club" (I think EricSmileyFace is a current member of that club though they have a new name) who got me a seat on their coach to the start.  They picked me up at one of the Tstops outside of Boston (so I got to get a reasonably priced hotel and not get ripped by staying downtown) and we cruised in style to Hopkington.  The bus was nice with cushioned seats and a really nice bunch of people to spend a couple hours with.   BTW, does your club's coach 'fill' and if it doesn't do they sell seats to furners?  To be filed away for future Boston race.

xhristopher

Yeah, running Boston is almost low key and relatively inexpensive for me. The bus is for club members, usually fills, and doesn't leave from Boston -- about 25 miles outside. With the demand this year I wonder if it will be big enough and I don't know if BAA has room for more club buses.

It's invaluable.  It also includes hauling my stuff to a hotel downtown where we have a couple rooms. At the end of the race I walk a couple blocks to a shower, food, and beer.

Going for it again.  I need to make it hurt more to make it feel like a well run mile race.  And it would be nice to see a 4:4x.

1/17

Lewis Invitational

1 mile (indoor)

<4:50

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well then, mbehr, here's hoping for pain for you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

A big ole fail in my books. 4:55.00.  Felt OK getting out but legs just felt flat. As I was on my own, I just had a hard time mentally being in it.  It was still fun and it was something I wouldn't have normally done.  Besides, leaving it like this makes me that much more hungry in that I know I can do better. I know what I'm working towards for next January.

C-R

Next time mbehr. Next time.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

+1, its hard to run a fast mile solo.

Next time mbehr. Next time.

Feeling the growl again

+1, its hard to run a fast mile solo.

Or with 4 beers in it.

Good try mbehr, the nice thing about the short races is that you can practice them a lot.  There's another shot...albiet with 4 beers involved...waiting for you in July.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I may have another swing at the 5k this weekend, I guess after running 16:36 10 days ago I have to go for the PR this time:

Roth Runner Jan 25 Dulwich parkrun 5K London, UK <16:32                

C-R

I will post for CR Jr.

January 25 Winter XC Indianapolis Goal - have some fun running in the snow with the spikes. Oh and beat the old man. Get a new hoodie.

January 26 USATF JO Midwest Indoor T&F Championships @ Purdue 3000 and maybe the 1500 - Goal: Qualify for Nationals in MD

He won't be racing that XC run on Sat and likely I won't be either so I can make sure he's fresh for Sunday.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

January 25 Winter XC Indianapolis Goal - have some fun running in the snow with the spikes. Oh and beat the old man. Get a new hoodie.

Is this the one at Southeastway Park?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

It is  Come on out

Is this the one at Southeastway Park?

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

It is  Come on out

Hmmm....It's a possible maybe. I'm not too fond of snow, ya' know.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

Yeah. I did point but how I have no idea. Team finished 3rd. Possibly the hardest 5k I have ever run. The 6+" of fresh snow took my mind off the 20mph winds. So that was nice.

Patrick finished right in front of me and his money quote "Racing in snow sucks". Hah.

We both agreed to be back next year. Love me some XC.

Brewed my first beer today and ran 16:22, the brew looks shite but maybe I can run sub16 one day?!