3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

43:54, so not even close to goal.  But, a minute faster than three weeks ago, so I'll build on that.  

Good work Nads.

For the GJCC, I just missed my time goal, but am happy with the results.  I won my age group - first triathlon hardware ever.  I've placed in duathlons but never in a triathlon.  13th of 16 on the swim, 1st of 16 on the bike, and 5th of 16 on the run.

I got a nice Tile award and a $15 gift card.  First time I've ever got a money prize.

Oh and my time was 48:20.

Tony this is fantastic.  I have never seen a tile award.  

I guess it goes without saying that you will make the most improvements in triathlons by working on your swimming(?).  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

TonyP - Nice job on the AG win!  You were strong on the portions (bike and run) that really make a difference in tri's.

Oh and my time was 48:20.

FWIW, noticed that your overall time equalled the #1 swimmer's overall time.  He was out of the water in 2:48 vs your 5:01.  Sorry, just like looking at results...especially ones with more numbers and splits.  Being an engineer by trade, I love to analyze #'s and tri results gives me that perfect avenue to do so.

Since the DW is big into tri's, we have had several debates with her and other tri buddies on what is more important to focus on in tri's.  I find that most everyone says their weakest sport is what they need to focus on the most.  Here's my opinion based on what I've seen from results in the area around here and what I know about those that have competed...better runners finish towards the top almost everytime.  Sure their swimming may be weak but they more than make-up for it on the bike and running portion.

As a side note, the DW's weakest portion is the swim.  To Spaniel's point, runners make horrible swimmers.  She's a runner but despite that, she's worked with a coach a couple of times and that has made a world of difference.  Swim is so much about form and technique.  Bad habits can cause too much drag and tire you out too quickly.  I myself would prefer to not worry about the swim and knock-out the bike and run portion...or more specifically just the run. 

Was it all a dream?

Runners make terrible swimmers.

Don't ask me how I know.

Heh.  Depends on which you started doing first.

Was it all a dream?

The start was a mess...Boxed in for the first mile. I hate big 5ks.

Cool race to be a part of though.  Male and Female winners both broke course and state records.  Lots of fast local guys and gals in battling it out in one relatively cheap 5k.

You forgot to mention that you ran 15:45

MTA: And you didn't have to start as far back as I did, so you weren't affected Smile

Good work Nads.

Thanks. 

Speaking of 15:45, that had long just been just a number to me.  Yesterday, they started the 5k well after the 10k.  Since I had run the 10k, I got the chance to see the top 5k runners coming in.  Wow. GET OUT OF THE WAY.  

MTA: Wow. 

Feeling the growl again

Heh.  Depends on which you started doing first.

Yeah.  Obviously you can be good at both..."runner" being bad as swimming meant runner first.  Swimming is a technique sport and if you approach training for it the way you train for running you will not be successful.  Runners thing MORE....HARDER....technique sports start with DO IT RIGHT....until then MORE and HARDER are pretty meaningless.

Getting passed by a 12-yr-old girl who started 2 waves behind me in a sprint tri....and by a 45-yr-old woman in an XC ski race from the wave behind...taught me that pretty clearly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Wow, some good race times in here!

I've been slowly warming to the idea of a triathlon.  As a runner coming to both swimming and cycling (love cycling, hate swimming), I agree with spaniel's assessment.  But not even a well-conditioned cyclist/runner can make up for being a really, really shitty swimmer.  Treading water and cursing doesn't lead to a high finish place.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Treading water and cursing doesn't lead to a high finish place.

Where did you find a video of my race?  Did you watch the part where the lifeguards on the surfboards asked me if I needed assistance and wanted to be pulled from the water?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

20:37, 4OA, 1AG

Odd. It turns out I ran a 20:27.

Been racing more frequently than I have in my life.  I'm getting things mixed up.   

Feeling the growl again

Since it looks like all of the results are in that will come in....

The beer for this month goes to AP for his 5-mile PR....not just because he ran a 5-mile PR but because it was the day after barely missing his 10-mile goal and due to running a crapload of miles this year.

Honorable mention's to SeanV2 and wannaberunner... you guys keep making me THINK about this each time.  Now if Ben had posted a goal and if that really was a 5K PR I may have had to think about that too... Wink

Tony this is fantastic.  I have never seen a tile award.  

I guess it goes without saying that you will make the most improvements in triathlons by working on your swimming(?).  

Thanks Nader, I'm not sure my time wouldn't be better spent on the bike.  Swimming improvement is coming really really slowly.

FWIW, noticed that your overall time equalled the #1 swimmer's overall time.  He was out of the water in 2:48 vs your 5:01.  Sorry, just like looking at results...especially ones with more numbers and splits.  Being an engineer by trade, I love to analyze #'s and tri results gives me that perfect avenue to do so.

Since the DW is big into tri's, we have had several debates with her and other tri buddies on what is more important to focus on in tri's.  I find that most everyone says their weakest sport is what they need to focus on the most.  Here's my opinion based on what I've seen from results in the area around here and what I know about those that have competed...better runners finish towards the top almost everytime.  Sure their swimming may be weak but they more than make-up for it on the bike and running portion.

As a side note, the DW's weakest portion is the swim.  To Spaniel's point, runners make horrible swimmers.  She's a runner but despite that, she's worked with a coach a couple of times and that has made a world of difference.  Swim is so much about form and technique.  Bad habits can cause too much drag and tire you out too quickly.  I myself would prefer to not worry about the swim and knock-out the bike and run portion...or more specifically just the run. 

Thanks mebhr, ha! I'm an engineer too and I analyze the data to death.  If you look at the times for the bike, they look slow for such a short race, but the course is a loop and has some decent sized hills, yet you don't gain much back until the end, about a quarter mile if that long, steep downhill and in the middle of it you have to turn into the transition area.

I will probably never do an Olympic distance because the swim is such a large proportion of the race.  If you look at the time proportion of most triathlons, the bike is the largest part.  Even so, if you can't run when you get off the bike, good runners can chase you down,and being chased down is just no fun at all.

My strategy for the swim is to get faster on the bike. Smile  But with the Ironman coming up, I have to do lots of swimming so I'm not completely wiped out when I get on the bike.  I probably need some one on one swim instruction.