50 and over 5k and beyond

Dicey December (Read 10 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

Well since it's the first day I guess I'll start.

It's pretty much same ole working from home, no birthday plans.  We are going to Japanese after dialysis on Saturday. Maybe we can stop somewhere for a dessert.  I'd love a cholate cupcake but who knows.

I made myself some pancakes for lunch, not exactly breakfast in bed but they were tasty.  I'm kind of coming up with a blank as to what to eat anymore. I find a eat a bit of something then get tired of the taste.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Di - Happy birthday! Guess you will celebrate tomorrow going out to eat. I had pancakes also, buckwheat ones for breakfast! I guess the new thread title is appropriate with surgeries, knee issues and other worries. Lets hope for good things to happen!

Light drizzle and 45 degrees and I went for a short 2 1/4 mile run. Legs were slightly sore from yesterday's eight miles. I lost some fitness slacking off last month. So this like a recovery easy run.
      Puddle in the street

In the mail I got new "Bareway Harmony" shoes I had ordered. I was looking for a big package and they came in a plastic envelope in my mailbox. They are minimalist zero drop shoes and they folded down flat. They did not cost a lot. Did not want to try them in the rain and not sure how they will be for running in the streets. I may decide only to use them on like a track, treadmill or flat dirt trail.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Just finished one of the books recommended by AZ, "An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States". I have a lot of books about Native Americans, but most of them are like "new age" books about religion, ceremonies and legends. This book was less about the Indigenous culture than a description of how they were treated by the European settlers and the United States government. America was seen as an opportunity with natural resources and lands for the taking. There was the vision of "manifest destiny", of a nation of settlers from coast to coast. The fly in the ointment was the natives, a fly that had to be brushed aside or swatted. For much of the early history of our country many believed "The only good Indian is a dead Indian" and there were programs and military actions to wipe out native villages, to kill everyone regardless of age or sex. Reading the narrative I'm amazed anyone survived the slaughter. I was glad to get to the 20th century part of the history where the battles fought were more like legal actions and protests. But our government still practices imperialism in it's world policies and military actions. All this is controversial, certainly not the American history generally taught in our schools.

I did learn a little about the indigenous culture from the book. One thing I admired was how they existed in ecological balance. The land was maintained by controlled fires and other practices. Animals and plants were honored and nature was considered a sacred gift from the Great Spirit. When the settlers got here they just saw a wilderness to be used and exploited, kind of what they did with the Indians too. The cattle and grasses brought over from Europe destroyed the native eco system and with rifles they took the vast herds of buffalos almost to extinction.

According to family history, one of my Southern ancestors was attacked by an Indian and made his way home with his scalp hanging over his eyes. Probably one of the Scotch Irish settlers the book talks about.

I also have a possible connection to one of the Native American protests of the late 60s. One of my High School friends moved upon graduation to California. Although I don't think he has Native blood he told me he took part in the Native American takeover of Alcatraz Island in November of 1969. I had given him before he left a painting I had done of a lizard standing on a dock piling surrounded with troubled waters and he said he took the painting to Alcatraz. I guess the subject matter would resonate with holding an island against a siege. I did try to verify that my painting was there by looking at photos of the takeover online, but did not see it. Neither have I talked to anyone else who was there at the time who might have seen it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Pretty remarkable - one day post surgery, the pain has been minimal, so yesterday evening I reduced my Norco pills to half, dropped the anti-nausea and the muscle relaxants, and I'm doing fine.  Did my two runs this morning, so the streak is still alive!  Maybe I have natural high pain tolerance, or maybe running marathons has trained me to deal with discomfort. It may also be that my surgeon is particularly skilled.

I was planning to take it easy this afternoon, but DD called and said they're invading our house. She didn't know I was convalescing from surgery although SIL did, but forgot to tell her. So, an evening of chaos and take-out Chinese was on our menu.

Di - Happy birthday!  Hope you have a good Japanese dinner and a nice cupcake! Thanks for starting the Dicey December thread - great title!

Altair - Interesting, good-looking shoes you got - I think I would like them. They look similar to the Whitin Trail Runners that I like to use when there's ice or snow on the ground.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Led - Amazing you ran 4 miles the day after surgery! Your level of fitness and the skill of your surgeon I think were factors in your not having problems doing the runs. The surprise visit from DD and company might have distracted you from any pain! I just looked at the Whiten shoes online, they look similar to what I purchased and at $44 are even cheaper ! I spent like $60 on the Bareway shoes, which I thought a bargain since the New Balance model I was looking at are like $200 a pair! I guess you pay for the extra support and cushioning. I never tried minimalist shoes before, if I like them I may buy more, some of the shoes I have are years old and very worn out. The minimalist shoes are very light weight, maybe that will help me run faster!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I had intended to run every day this week just be be more consistant, but Saturday, although not bitterly cold, was damp and overcast and I did not feel like even a short run. Today the weather was similar, overcast and 48 degrees at 2:30 pm, but I did get out to run 2.3 miles. Was going to try new shoes, but GF said not to use them for the first time when it was wet outside!
              Scattered Osage Oranges

Puddle in field, gray cloudy sky

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Today was a little more difficult, unsurprisingly, because I went 10 hours without a pain pill. Ran only 1.7 miles. I'm doing well, though, just trying to time the pills appropriately.

Altair - I think your Bareway shoes look a lot nicer than the Whitins, so don't immediately go and order a pair of Whitins on my say-so! Wink  You probably shouldn't do a lot of miles in the new shoes until you see how your feet and ankles react to minimalist running.

dhuffman63

Trails

Led I know the pain pill schedule well.  When I was in the hospital they had me on a schedule where I had to take the meds whether I needed them just then or not.  They kept shoving tylenol at me and finally I had to say no more as I'm not sure my liver will survive.  I do have some leftover pain meds and of course the jumbo bottle of tylenol but I try to not take any unless my back is really bothering me.

One step closer to getting back on the transplant list.  I had my mammogram today despite still having this chest catheter.  She made it work.  Now just another 5 or better 10 pounds and I'll reschedule the visit.

Hello everyone! 
                    Vail 50/50 & HMs, Saturday, Dec 2, Vail AZ

Friday: My friend PK and I left at 10 am for Vail. PK stubbed one of middle right toe at home just that morning. It’s bruised but not broken. She’s not sure if she will run the night race.
                    It was raining as we drove into Tucson and to Colossal Vail Park ….. It stopped for about a hour, enough time to put up the tent. There were 6 other tents and about 10 camper vans. It started raining again, stopped by 7 pm. We ate and fell asleep; it was a wet cold humid night. Slept well, stayed warm. The music started at 5 am. Runners checking in and picking up their race bibs. 50 milers started at 7 am; 55K started at 7:15. 
                    We ate and I was at the start line at 9 am. I’m running both HMs.  
                    The day HM is13.6 miles, a lollipop course. First 1/2 mile is steep, technical, rocky but I ran all the way up, . Trail is a combination of rocky technical hilly terrain with areas of sand and hard packed dirt. One AS that we hit twice. Temps in the 50s but cool breeze. I left my long sleeved shirt on but wore shorts and hydration vest. Felt great and ran steady, trying to preserve some energy for night race ……. Mile 12-13 is mostly uphill, very rocky but I ran/hiked it, kept moving upon reaching summit ……. until last 1/2 mile downhill....... calves started to cramp so had to slow down. Finished 3:03.

But this was 10 minutes faster than last year. Ha!

Rested and tried to eat before the night HM which showed13.3 miles on my garmin. 

Priscilla decided to run the night race. We started at 5 pm. It’s an out and back so I’ll get to see PK at some point since I was ahead of her. It was dark by 5:35 pm. It was a nice night. The first few miles are hilly and rocky but mid area is mostly hard packed dirt with shorter ups and downs. 
                    My legs felt good. But my lower back started to ache. Really?!? 
                    PK looked good when we crossed each other after the turnaround at 6.5 miles. Then, my back started to ache more, ugh!! Was afraid it might seize on me. 😟 Had to stop and stretch about every 10-15 minutes for about 20 seconds. So lost some time. Oh well 😖
                    Finished 3:26. It's about 10 minutes slower than last year.

Priscilla did awesome!! She didn't want to be the last one so that kept her going despite the injured toe. Finished 3:40. WOW!! Proud of her! 
                    The post-race food included grilled cheese burgers, pulled pork and portobello burgers (which I ate), pasta salad, chips and beers and sparkling water and soda. We hung around the huge bonfire as we ate, cheering in the 50 milers and HMs. There was a 13 or 14 yr old and a 73 yr old who finished the 50 mile. Amazing!!

We left early Sunday morning and returned home.
                    My back was killing me.
                    Monday: Thank goodness my MT had an opening. She kneaded the heck out of me. I feel so much better.

I'm stretching, foam rolling and using heating pad on back.

Tuesday: Ran a short easy 3 miles this morning.

Art in AZ

Sunday morning did the warm-up walk and then a short 16 mile bike ride. Traveled a route I haven't been on in quite a while. Picked some green beans, lettuce and radishes from the garden. Then spent some time in the garage. Pretty relaxing day.

Monday morning did the usual 1.2 mile warm up walk and then my 4.5 mile walk with exercises.

Tuesday morning did the warm-up walk and then 4.5 miles around the neighborhood. Went to the business bank to deposit a check and received a nice gift basket from them for Christmas. Pretzels and dark chocolate. Thinking of going for a short bike ride because it's really nice outside.

Di - Happy birthday!

Altair - Those shoes look nice. I think those shoes would be fine for most surfaces. It will depend on how well your feet adjust to them.

Led - Good news that the surgery went better than expected. I think that all three contributed to your recovery.

AZ - Nice job on both of your races. Any idea of why your back started hurting? Was the route much different than what you run in Flagstaff? Thank goodness your MT had an opening.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

dhuffman63

Trails

Congratulations to you and PK.  One thing I never did was a night race.  With my vision issues I was concerned about tripping and falling.  The first  50k I did I had the back spasms from the car accident 5 days earlier (stupid me) and by the time I was finished it was dark.  Luckily the trail was well lit so the last 3 miles were along the roadway.  Glad you got into your MT.  I look forward to the day I can go back and get massages.

I got a new chair time - 7 to 10 instead of the 10-1.  Unfortunately it's so dark at 630 when I have to leave.  It gives me more time to work but I have to have DH drive me.  I'm hoping when I get my new glasses I may be able to drive again. As long as it's light out I can see to drive.

Now that I'm 60 I can see about getting a RSV shot and then I'll be covered for most what goes around. If it wasn't for the dialysis center I'd hold off on this last one. At least when I start back in the office and am around more people I should be good. That might not be until next year though.  I have surgery on the 22 to put in a graft and I may not be able to drive for a couple of days. It has to heal and then a couple weeks later I can start using it and once it's all good I can get the chest catheter taken out.

I'm up to 86 pounds so 5 more and I can redo the tests for the transplant list. That will open up all sorts of different areas.  I may even be able to do some 5ks.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Led - Easy days are expected after your surgery, but I see from your log you are already exceeding 4 miles in your runs! After my laser surgery for the kidney stones they gave me pain medication. I did not need the full dose and basically just took it at night to sleep well. I can't tell from the photos if the Whitins are not as good as the Bareway. With the wet weather here I haven't tried the new shoes yet. I don't think I will go over five miles the first time. Thinking of doing a dirt trail to test them out.

Di - My doctor wants me to use Tylenol as my pain med, but usually I just take some aspirins. Good you are gaining weight and are scheduled for the graft! I think you will feel better when the catheter is taken out. Ever try those yellow night vision glasses? You did not mention how your birthday meal at the Japanese Steak House went. Did you get cupcakes afterwards?

AZ - Interesting race report! Nice your friend PK was with you. You must have a good sleeping bag to stay warm. Convenient to camp close to the starting line! Toe issues I don't think effect long distance running, more an issue for sprinters. Great in the day race you beat the previous time, always makes you feel good to improve! Portobello burgers sound good and nice to sit around a bonfire. Never have done a night race, but sometime I want to do a moonlight run. Interesting the course was different for the night half. Too bad about the back pain. I noticed my back would start to ache on some of my longer walks, but never a problem with running. Maybe your back caught a chill. Good the massage helped.

Art - You continue to be consistant with walks and the nice bike ride! So are you doing some running or only walking at this time? Nice to get a gift basket. I have a few concerns about the shoes. I never used zero drop running shoes, some people have problems with them. The cushioning is less, maybe the asphalt roads will hurt my feet more. I think they may wear out faster, but since they are like 1/4 the price of the shoes I was going to buy I guess I could afford to go through them faster.

With cold, gloomy weather I did not run Monday. My intent was to get out early this morning because if I procrastinate too much I lose my motivation. So I was going to run at 10 am, but found my phone needed a charge. So I did other stuff and finally got out to run six miles just after noon. It was 36 degrees and overcast. After the run I ate a snack, then went to get vaccinated at the pharmacy. The doctor listed 4 vaccines he wants me to get, but I just got the Covid and Pneumonia ones for now, already had the flu shot in October. Some light snow coming down as I left the pharmacy!
                          Clouds and about a 200 foot gradual climb ahead. I dressed in layers, a thermal over a tree shirt and a long sleeve over that. Felt warm enough during the run, think I'm adapting to the cold!

Just looking down into the valley.

Di: HAPPY BELATED 6-0 BIRTHDAY dear friend.  
                            Your updates sound so much more hopeful and you thinking of a 5K, YAY!! And, if you eat cupcakes everyday for December, you’ll be back on the transplant list before you know it. LOL! I didn’t know you wore glasses ….. but if it helps with the driving, go for it. I decided to not get the RSV or pneumonia vaccine. Probably after I’m 65. I’ve never had pneumonia or have any respiratory problems. But it’s understandable in your case.

AZ - Nice job on both of your races. Any idea of why your back started hurting? Was the route much different than what you run in Flagstaff? Thank goodness your MT had an opening.

Art: Still impressive on your consistency with the miles and exercises. The trails aren’t really that different than the trails I run on near home other than the elevation but I think the day race had a lot more of steeper and longer hills than the night race plus the cold humid air didn’t help. My MT is/was a lifesaver.

Altair: keep us posted on your new running shoes. Lots of trail runners wear Hokas, zero drop shoes. They only cause pain for me, in my Achilles. I have to wear at least an 8mm heel drop. Not willing to take a chance. Hope your shoes work out. Yeah, I invested in good durable camping gear. But I’m so glad I brought my weighted blanket. Also, my MN running buddy and I have done winter camping so this wasn’t all that bad. The races are part of the AZT Endurance Races. Each race in the series is run on a different passage of the AZT. Of course, we didn’t get to see much of it during the night race. But it’s one of the more scenic part of the southern AZT. It was cold and humid and body already took a beating during the day race so something had to give. I run my own race so I’m pretty much satisfied with whatever time I finished when I know I did the best I could, given the circumstances. It’s just one of those things that you just have to tough it out. It happens. 
                                Good job on your mileage.