50 and over 5k and beyond

May runs & workouts (Read 14 times)

NH Runner

Sunday, 5/4... I threatened to take the day off Sunday, but felt so dern good I ran 4 easy miles on the railtrail.   Nice recovery run...

monday, 5/5... I didn't run today, but walked 3 miles on a hiking trail.    How do people sit still anyway, I just can't do it...lol

Fletch... I'm going to defer to people more knowledgeable about what's bothering you.   It sounds like a tight muscle and you've already gotten good advice, I'll just wish you good luck!

Dan... sounds like things have quieted down a bit, good for you.  You're running well...

Chantilly... yes, I've dropped the FIRST plan.   It was an experiment anyway, to see if that kind of training would make me run like the wind.   Instead, it made me run out of wind.   Seriously, it didn't take long before I was dealing with being overtrained, it just didn't work for me.    And it's good to see you posting again, I thought you'd been run over by a truck or something.   You're still running well I see, good for you!

az... I bet it was the socks that made your foot go numb.   Dan will tell you, you need circulation in your feet too...   Nice job on the 9.1 miler!

Crazy Diamond

It was a wonderful weekend with my family on the Peninsula.  I'll be back with a RR after I get control of the mass quantities of laundry!

Rich~Hope the new training plan is working better for you.  So many of the plans are written for high school / college age runners.  Rest days are critical for injury prevention. "How do people sit still?"  The 3-day conference last week was torture.

Jo~You are doing great!  WTG on the consistency!

AZ~So glad the foot is doing better.  Hope losing 1 set of socks will do the trick.

Ray~Wow, 90F! Great job toughing it out in that type of heat!

Mary Kay~So happy you are back on this forum.  Thanks for the compliment, I guess walking while balancing a book on my head worked!  Your description of the relay had me LOL!  Definitely agree - AZ's DH is terrific!

Dan~Sound like you and DW had a nice visit.  I call it a "boomerang" run, but "ping pong" works, too!

Fletch~Oh, no ... So sorry about the injury.  Consulting the PT is the wise move.  Take care.

Chantilly~We missed you, too!  Sorry about the health issue, and hope there is something that can be done for you.  You are running some really good miles.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Good to hear from you Deb!!  I can't wait for the RR!!  But I guess I have to, LOL!!

Yes, it was the extra pair of socks with the Mizuno road shoe that seemed to have caused the numbness (I know feet expands after walking/running on them).  Yep, circulation is critical, Rich, haha!! I did run in them a couple of times with different pairs of socks but now I know to only wear one pair with these Mizuno as they are a bit more narrow than my Brooks Cascadia trail shoes.  It was just too nice to stay indoors, and like Rich, "can't sit still."  LOL!! We had an early morning rain shower but the day ended with a gorgeous sunset.  Ran a little later in the day, it was about 50 degrees, partly sunny, 7mph wind, stayed around the neighborhood, finished a 4 mile recovery run.

justrundan

Chantilly- good to have you back.  HOpe you are feeling better.

Deb- boomerang run does make more sense.  DW couldn't quite remember, and I suggested ping-pong!  

AZ- glad the numbness is a thing of the past.  Running on pavement is different, that's for sure.  That gravel trail was nice after all that blacktop!

Rich- walking is good too!

DW and I did just that yesterday after church.  We went to Devil's Lake planning a walk around the lake; we didn't know until we got there that the annual midge hatch is usually sometime in early May.  The sidewalk, road, rocks near the water were covered with them.  We drove to a different part of the park and hiked AWAY from the lake! 

this  morning didn't get going early, but still got in 3.7 miles, last 2.2 miles were fartleks.

Have a good week friends.

Dan

rmcj001

chantilly - Good to see you're running well.  Glad you're back!

Rich - Walks, runs, biking - staying busy and keeping it going.  Nicely done.

Debra - Gotta enjoy those weekends.  Looking forward to RR.

Dan - The midges sound like the Brine flies at Mono Lake, insects are kind of amazing.  Nice runs and walks.  I don't think most people value walking that much.

Az - We starting to see your longer miles there - that's great!

Fletch - Sorry about the calf - I do know how frustrating calves can be.  Walk!  I'll echo everyone else with foam roller and add self massage. Blood flow is important and walking, rolling and massage all help get blood into the area.

Friday, 5/2, 10 mile run - was only 82F.  1:26:51.  Wasn't sure if I would run, but once I got out there felt so much better.

Sat, 5/3, only about 70F, sons were both home plus family gathering.  Managed 3 mile run on TM in 23:57 before heading out for movie.

Sunday, 5/4, 9.1 miles, temps were high 60's so run was a little quicker 1:13:18 - this was around home so very flat.

Monday, 5/5, 8.2 miles at work - wind was blowing and had an angry sky, 1:10:26 - temps were about the same as Sunday, but more wind so felt a bit cooler.

Ray

NH Runner

Tuesday, 5/6... interval session today, I warmed up and cooled off for a mile and ran 6 X 440's X 90 second break between each.    I've got a counter mounted to my mtn bike that counts the rear tire's revolutions and rode that bike on the HS track's inside lane to get the number of revs.  per lap.    Easy enough then to take the same bike to the local railtrail and ride off the same number of revs. to mark out an area to do an interval session.   All that to explain the HS track is in yards, not meters and why I ran 440's today.   I ran the sprints in 1:50, 1:47, 1:47, 1:47, 1:45 and 1:47.   A 1:47 works out to a 7:08 pace, so it's safe to say I was almost a blur.   Almost... 

gito... doing much better since I backed off a bit.   I think my biggest problem was focusing on the half marathon that's coming and not being ready for it.    And trying to do too much too soon only made things worse.    I still want to do the same workouts, just space them out so I recover from one before doing the next.    I knew this stuff already, but needed a not so gentle reminder.    Looking forward to your race report!

az... gotta get those recovery runs in, good for you!

dan... back when I was an avid flyfisherman, a midge hatch was the perfect time to be on the water.    Nice workout Sunday!

ray... you're a machine lately!   You must be feeling really strong.    I read the other day the average person stores enough glycogen for 90 minutes of running @ half marathon pace.    Do you use Gels in a Half?   I never have, but am thinking it might help...

NH Runner

Wednesday, 5/7... easy 6 mile run on the railtrail today.   Legs are a little sore from yesterday's intervals, but not bad.

rmcj001

Rich - Gotta like those "easy" days.  On the glycogen, I thought it was 2-2.5  hours, but I don't think they included a pacem so 90 minutes might be right.  Read somewhere that it takes the body 20-40  minutes (?)  to process a gel.  So, on this last 1/2 I ate 1 gel at mile 6, water at miles 4 and 6, maybe 8 don't remember now.  In December did 1/2 about a minute slower, but no gels and no water - course was flatter and temps were cooler.  I think the gels help, but Dec. 1/2 was 4 minutes faster then previous best.

Tuesday, 5/6, 3.4 miles to lunch 28:28.  1.5 miles after lunch (on full stomach) 13:13 - 

Wednesday, 5/7, 5.4 miles before work 44:54. 4.1 miles at lunch - found this guy

Gopher Snake

Well the snake anyway - that snake is a tad over 5' long! (please ignore my messy office)

Ray

Ray, yikes!! So he was 'homeless'? Like to know DW's reaction?!? LOL!!  So what are your plans for him?  Running on a full stomach?

I about puked, one time, when I ran after waiting only 30 minutes; had to walk/run the rest of the way.  Learned my lesson the first time, haha!  Great finish times on your double runs both days!!

Rich:  love those easy runs, good job!!  you've been building good mileage and getting faster!

Rest day yesterday which was good timing as the day pretty much was miserably windy and cold and cloudy even tho' the temps were about 50 degrees.  The humidity is up so it's that clammy cold that gets to your bones and you just can't get warm it seems; at least that how I feel.  Anyway, today was overcast, about 13mph wind, and can you believe it was about 60 degrees?!?   It was on the cooler side with the humidity.  Drove to the paved bike trail that turns into dirt trail for my long run.  Rainclouds in the distance and you know that it will just pour, right??  It didn't, instead it was a nice rain shower for about 10 minutes around mile 6.    Finished 10 miles, yippee!!

NH Runner

Wanted to share my 12 year old granddaughter's time in the track meet she was in yesterday.    100 yards in 15 seconds, she missed her time for the 200, but ran 1:22 in the 400.     Made me feel kind'a slow...lol

ray... I can tolerate most critters, but snakes are the exception.   I'm ok if I see one from a distance, but let me be up close before I see it and I'll jump 3 feet in the air.      I've tried running on a full stomach and it doesn't work for me either.    Nice running the last couple of days and thanks for the gel feedback.   I'm going to try one on my next long run...

az... rain showers late in a run are awesome as long as you don't get too wet.   Nice 10 miler!

Crazy Diamond

On Saturday ran the Door County Half Marathon held in Peninsula State Park for the 3rd time. I LOVE this race!  The course is run on the park roads and closed to vehicular traffic. The route offers spectacular views of the Green Bay waters, is surrounded by beautiful hardwood forests and climbs to the top of massive limestone bluffs exposed by the last glacial period.

We arrived Friday evening at the village hall to pick up our packets and I spoke with the pace team coordinator. She took so much time with me and was very helpful. She asked my goal time, recent race paces and guided me through the options. I determined the best course of action was to begin with the 2:15 pace group. Any time thereafter, I could move up if I was feeling strong. Returned to our condo rental located near the entrance to the park for a good night’s rest.

Alarm went off at 6:30am. Coffee, strawberry breakfast bar and ½ banana for breakfast. Waited for the race day adrenaline to kick in, but I just wasn’t “feeling it" today. What to wear? When you’re surrounded by water, weather can change quickly. Predictions for the morning ranged from 34F w/ scattered rain showers at the 10am start, to partly sunny with highs of 54F around noon - when I’d be finishing. Decided to wear capris, LS tech shirt and running cap, and packed some extra stuff for DH to carry – just in case. We arrived in the park at 9:00am. Stayed warm in the car until 9:30 when we headed to the porta-potties and then walked ¼ mile to the start line. I met the two 2:15 pacers. Tim was leading the Galloway run/walk method, Aaron was all run, walk through aid stations. Each of the pacers explained their strategy and the runners lined up with their respective pacer. After a lovely rendition of “America, the Beautiful” by a local singer, we were off and running to the strains of bag pipes. He’s back - love it!

A short 3 minute drizzle of rain, and the clouds began to break-up to expose the sun.  I stayed with the 2:15/run pace group through mile 4.  When the long climb to the top of Sven’s bluff began at mile 4.5, I shortened my stride and fell to the middle of the pack, but kept running. The ten aid stations are sponsored by enthusiastic local groups and feature water / Gatorade / porta-potties.  At the top of the bluff the local Jimmy Buffet Fan Club “Pirates of the Harbour”, complete with pirate ship, provided aid to the runners. The Parrotheads hung a carved sign picturing a snarling pirate above the porta-potties with the proclamation, “SHI# HAPPENS“. Yes, it does!

After coming down from the south bluff, the course comes to a cross-roads lined with spectators holding signs, horns, cowbells and open hands held out for high-fives. This is my third time running this race, and this is the largest crowd I’ve seen. The power of spectators is exhilarating, and I’m finally feeling the race day excitement (even got a little choked-up). At 10k, I was at 1:03:15 and had fallen about 25 runners back from my pacer. Decided to push my pace a bit, and began picking off runners in front of me (Hey, what would AZ2MNtrail do?). Sipped some Gatorade at the next aid station and passed 6 runners during mile 7. At 7.5 miles the course makes a hard left turn and runs beside a golf course. The bag piper was at the turn, along with at least 50+ spectators. Their cheers got me pumped up and passed 5 more runners. Many runners are beginning to fade at this point. The Mile 8 aid station offered assorted Clif shots, water and Gatorade and things clogged up a bit. A few runners must not have planned to take gels and stopped dead in front of other runners. What’s up with that? Maneuvered around them and took a sip of water to drink and another to rinse my mouth. Gatorade gives me dry mouth, but during training I decided to go without gels for this race. I could see my pacer’s 2:15 flag, but I’m still far behind. Mile 9 features several rolling hills as we climb to the north bluff. Then a tight curve as we quickly descend between the bluff, approached my favorite part of the park which winds through the hundreds of century-old cedar trees. Many spectators are lining the course at Mile 10 and hear a course official yell to us, “You’re about 40 seconds behind the pacer”.

Three miles to go, time to focus and catch up to Aaron. Continue to pass more runners and feeling good. Thinking to myself, it’s only 5k, you can get this thing done. Right before Mile 11, grabbed a couple sips of Gatorade to keep me going to the end. As we approach the shoreline, the remnants of huge ice shelves are floating in the water. They are a once in a lifetime occurrence. They resemble ice bergs and are blue in color. They are stunning! There is a short, but steep hill climb at the lighthouse at Mile 12. This hill kills me every year, but I wasn’t going to let it break me! I had to bring my speed down, but kept on running to the top. Felt great and reinvigorated as the breeze off the bay washed over us. I’m getting closer to the pacer with only 1+ mile to go. Mustered up everything I had left, and at ¾ mile remaining caught up to my pacer. Asked him if we were on schedule, he said “Yes - go for it! I passed him and just kept pushing. Caught a glimpse of my boys where hundreds of spectators are lining the sides of the finish gates. My boys yell, “Looking great, mom!” and “Go, mom, go!”  Wow, that’s pretty special!  I think of all the times I've cheered for them at XC / track meets, and now they’re returning the encouragement. Sweet early Mother’s Day gift! Tears flowing, feet are flying! Hear DH’s cheers for me as I cross the finish line. Received the awesome medal from the area women’s group, and I’m exhausted! Official time is 2:14:34 and a PR! Garmin logged the course at 13.25 miles.

I walk alone back to the runner’s concourse; this is always my favorite time of a race. It’s time to soak in the moment, and contemplate the months of training that led to it. Huge group hug from my guys and take time to get the scoop on their races. DS1 had a beast of a race (+16 mns to his HM PR) due to a stomach bug he’s been fighting. DS2 ran the 5k and although it wasn’t a PR, he took 3 minutes off this race last year. He did very little training leading up to this race. Youth is wasted on the young! We enjoyed the bananas, orange slices, bagels, big cookies, chocolate milk, water & Gatorade provided post-race. Caught up with Aaron, my pacer, and thanked him for leading me to my PR and let him know the pace group experience was very helpful to me. Each year the winners receives a piece of pottery created by the RD. I want one!  I’ll either have to train very, very hard or live long enough to earn one. Okay – I can dream, right?

Quo Vadis?

YAY Deb!!  WAY TO GO!!  You hung in there; you're a tough cookie so not surprised at all .....CONGRATS on the PR!!  I was cheering you on when reading your RR, as you 'pick off one runner at a time' ......really keeps you going, right?!?  It really helps me when I 'pace' someone.  Good job on getting over those hills and blazing to the finish line!!  It sounds like a beautiful scenic course, and lucky you that your sons ran as well, congrats to them on their finish!!

Rich:  must be in the genes!!  Awesome finish time by your GD!! GOOD JOB!!

NH Runner

Thursday, 5/8... cross trained today, a 4 mile walk on the hiking trail and 7 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail.    Lots of elevation change on the walk and finished the ride in 37:55.

gito... you ran a strong race last weekend!   Enjoyed the race report and the way you dug in at the end, congratulations on your PR!

az... my GD is a strong kid.   Into Gymnastics since a toddler, she can do standing back flips or do a series of front flips and make it look easy.   I love the fact she's into track, she's fast!   And thanks!

Chantilly75

NH Runner congratulations to your grand-daughter!

You're still mixing it up, training-wise, you must be keeping in good, all around condition.

gito57 congratulations on your PR!  I really enjoyed your race report.  It sounds like a scenic course. Nice that your family came out to cheer for you.

rmcj001 Your temperatures are all over the map.  That snake wouldn't know whether to sun himself or keep cool under a woodpile.  What kind is it, do you know?

az2mntrail You must be enjoying your runs more out on the trail, although it could be a bit warmer there by now, don't you think?

justrundan That would be a mess with all the insects.  Did you have to wear a kerchief over the mouth?

2 days off due to work.

7 miles after lunch outside. 58F and sunny.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Wow, Deb, great report!  I could follow right along with you as you described each part of the race, especially the sharp turn with the bagpipe player, and the run along the water.  I got choked up too as you finished, it was so great to read about what a great time you and family had!  I think next year should be my second DCHM!

Ray- now that is a beauty!  I actually like most snakes, and will catch one anytime I see one.  We don't see them too much here in WI, but when I lived in Kansas in my youth they were all over the place!

Rich- wow, congrats on your granddaughter! quite the runner. 

Chantilly- we didn't wear a kerchief, just went to a different part of the park away from the lake for our hike.

I've been able to get out most mornings this month, between 4-5 each time.  Today was a 'gump-run', didn't look at my garmin at all after starting it at the bottom of our driveway.  It seemed easy to keep a steady pace (albeit slow)  and was able to think about 'stuff' more than usual, when I'm worried about my pace.  I'll have to do more of that! 

Have a great rest of the week friends.

Dan