50 and over 5k and beyond

Oct '22 A little speedwork scarecrow? (Read 10 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Runwrath - A bit of a faux pas for you not to start a new month, it now being October!  Glad the storm was not too bad where you are! Cleaning up debris can be a lot of work, but good you saw no downed trees! Six and a half is a decent distance, way to go!

I've been having issues maintaining my internet connection, sometimes I had to try restarting the computer multiple times before it would reconnect. I went down to the basement where the cable comes in, removed a splitter box and connected the cables together directly. I also replaced my ethernet cables, ordered Cat 8 cables and they seem to work faster. So far my connection now seems to be stable!

No rain or wind, but mostly cloudy and cool today. In the 50's this morning and I did more work outside, cutting up some more fallen branches and mowing more of the lawn, when it is cool and damp out the grass grows so fast that by the time I finish mowing all the lawn some areas almost need cutting again!

Got out around 2 pm for a short 5-mile run. Tried to keep up a good pace.
    Could see some blue sky, but sun was covered by clouds the whole run. The White building in the background is a shoe store.

A decorative rock and tall flowers by a driveway. The flowers were several feet tall, don't know what kind they are.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Hello October 

Thanks for the start Altair. Lots of cross-training in the last few weeks. That seems to be a frequent workout for a few of us who have had to deal with leftovers from the storms. Good job on getting a 5 miler in. Nice early fall photos. 

runwrath: glad all is well and you only had minimal damage in your area to deal with. Nice distance for your run. What’s your running route?

Last week of Sept and Oct 1, total mileage was 30 miles. I have to set my phone alarm to remind me when to run   After a couple of late starts because I lost track of time de-cluttering and re-organizing ……. yes, still at it. Changing out older bedroom set with the newer set (from MN). So took apart bed frame and ‘storing’ that with the dressers/mirror/nightstand/armoire desk in guest room. Boxes of various items for sale or donate are in the other guest room. Had DH haul 2 couches for donations to Re-Store (Habitat for Humanity). DH has been very busy with hauling the extra dirt from a neighbor’s yard to our backyard and to another neighbor. A couple of neighbors borrowed a loader backhoe truck and DH has been operating it for them to clear and even out their yards. It’s  full of rocks and debris so it’s very time-consuming. 
        I’m hoping to car camp on north rim of Grand Canyon for a few days before it closes Oct 15. Will hike down to river and back up in a day. About 30 miles RT. 
        So, the Soulstice trail run is this Saturday, October 8. I’m running the ‘long’ course, 11.7. The short course is just over 6 miles. The location has been moved this year due to the closures of the original trails due to the wildfires and flooding. The original trail is much more technical and has good climbs. The new course is flatter and open. We might have rain.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

AZ - Good to have a 30 mile week despite a few late starts! Great you'll do the 11.7 mile trail run next week. I think you actually prefer the more difficult original trail! Hope if you get rain it's not a deluge! Those Grand Canyon hikes must be scenic, I want to go there someday! Lots of work organizing the house. DH is generous with his time to help neighbors clear and even yards! Yes, the yard cleanup has been good cross training, I think my arms and back are stronger!

Well my runs this week only totaled less than 14 miles, so I decided to do a bit over 7 miles today. I wore shorts and tee shirt, but a bit chilly at 55 degrees, overcast and windy! Still trying to improve pace, progress is slow. Did 7.19 miles and that brings weekly total to 21 miles, last week it was 18 so I did increase!
          Birds on a wire and overcast skies, there was a brief moment of sun, but it did not last. The tall structures behind the red barn are part of a salt mine.

Here is route 390 from an overpass. Trees are mostly still green or have turned a greenish yellow, but I saw a few with leaves changed to red!

Some purple flowers among cattails by the edge of a field  (10-3 identified online the flowers as purple aster)

And more of those purple flowers with a hilly field

Here is one of those trees that have turned mostly red

Art in AZ

Friday morning got in 5 miles. Trimmed back some of the vines for the sweet potato. Some of them were 20 feet long once I stretched them out. Spent most of the morning doing end of month paperwork and billing.

Saturday morning was another 4.2 miles. All the seeds I planted earlier have sprouted so I thinned some of them out. Hung the melon nets for the mini watermelons to hold them up. Saw another 4 or 5  small melons starting to grow. I'll see how they do. The lettuce plants I planted earlier are large enough now that I could pick some leaves and have a small salad. I'll give them a few more days. Spent some time in the garage working on some car things.

Sunday morning did a 19.1 mile bike ride following the canal for a while. Weather was nice with the wind I generated. Had breakfast and then took the Jensen Healey out for a long ride. Couple of hours and 137 miles later arrived back home. Car ran grate. Only issue was it was still warm out with the sun shing down. I think I'm satisfied that I think a short car trip is in order soon.

Runwrath - Good that the storm wasn't too bad when it got to your area. Unfortunately it left you with a lot of clean up.

AZ - Good luck on your race. At least they were able to move it instead of cancelling it. Hopefully things are better for next year. I read an article that some of the area was already showing some sign of new growth. Though they did mention it would be years before it was like before. Good luck with your disposing ot the extra items.

Altair - Looks like fall is starting to arrive in your area.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair: typo on your end, my run on Saturday is 11.7, not 1.7  Yes, the technical course w climbs is fun and challenging. I’ve run it before solo and group runs. But this course change will be challenging for me in that it’s mostly flat (I get bored) but it’s very scenic so that should keep me engaged ….. as long as it doesn’t distract me too much ….. need to stay upright.  I ran 10 miles twice and 6 & 4 miles….. just ran the distance I felt good with, not intentionally going for 30. I’ve normalize my 10 milers, onto 12 milers. No pressure. Making sure my knee adapts slowly to the extra miles over time. 
              I should register for trail races in November and December. 
              My Apple desktop computer isn’t connecting. I’ve gone through trouble shooter tips. Didn’t have this problem before. It has to be something ‘simple’ but can’t seem to find it. Ugh! My Dell laptop works fine. I’m venting. 

Art: Pass Mt trail runs in Ursery Regional Park are coming up, November. I’m thinking of running the 25k. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So my last post was like 12 days ago - I've been negligent! At least I'm not posting in the wrong month now!

Back then I had a 34 mile week, with 12.3 on Saturday. This last week was 28 miles, with 8.7 Saturday - a little lighter, because I have the Market to Market Relay this Saturday.

Az - Good luck on the Soulstice! Looking forward to your report!  Sage also thinks squirrels belong in trees!  Sometimes if she sees a squirrel when we're in a park without streets, dogs, or people around I'll drop her leash. It's fun to watch her stalk the squirrel until the squirrel dashes for a tree (far too soon for Sage to have any chance of catching it).  Two runs around the tree trunk, and she's satisfied the critter is going to stay up there where it belongs. Funny thing is, Sage just ambles around our back yard at the same time squirrels are are doing their thing in the yard. It's like she doesn't even see them.

Wrath - Glad Ian didn't hit you too hard. I'd like to meet your punk cats. DW & I are sad that we can't have cats - SIL is allergic to them, so we have to choose between felines and him.  He'll keep an eye on our pet status just to make sure he's still on good terms with us! Wink

Art - Melon nets are to keep the melons off the ground so they're pretty all around?  Probably not practical for the melon farmers to support their entire crops.  No doubt you look grate driving your Jensen-Healey!

Altair - I think you do some fartlek type workouts, don't you?  I think they help with speed. One also needs some more sustained speed work, the kind you get with time trials and races...but only for a small percentage of your running, the rest being LSD.  I'm sure you're very aware of all that.   It's neat seeing your old running logs. There's nothing quite like the physical historical records. My running history is 100% digital. Crazy thing is, I have saved ALL of my race bibs.  If I stitched them together, I'd have enough Tyvek to cover a house!  I heard a story about the unemployment fraud in NY on NPR. Sorry you (and the state) are the victims.  Hope they can catch the perps. We get volunteer cantaloupes in our compost almost every year. Rabbits generally get to them before we do.  Your asters among the cattails is a nice shot.

Sorry a couple of you are having Internet connection problems.  Mine has been really solid so far.  I probably just jinxed myself.

Led: good to hear from you …… was thinking you were trying to find last month   Nice mileage and training for the upcoming relay. I’ve only done one relay, the 55 miles Oshkosh to Green Bay, WI. Dan, who use to be part of this group, organized it. DH was our chauffeur all day . It was a fun group which made it more fun. Haven’t we mentioned us running a race in AZ, solo or relay?
                  I have internet connection with everything else in the house but my Apple desktop isn’t recognizing it. It seems to be the computer. I’ll keep working on it……when I have the time.  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have internet connection with everything else in the house but my Apple desktop isn’t recognizing it. It seems to be the computer. I’ll keep working on it……when I have the time.  

As long as you can keep communicating with us. The rest of the internet is overrated! Smile

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - Good 5 and 4 milers and the 19 mile bike ride! Vines can grow very long, but never grew sweet potatoes myself and watermelons take up too much garden room. Nice to have fresh lettuce. 137 miles is a fairly long trip, glad the Jensen Healey ran well. Yes, more and more signs of fall here, got to low 30's this morning. I did not see frost, but today I picked basil to dry for winter use and also cayenne peppers to dry as well.

AZ - if you've run some 10 milers then the 11.7 should be a snap! Note I corrected previous typo. Smart to gradually increase so knee adapts. I seem to have fixed my connectivity with new and better cables, hope you find your issue! An Arizona group run is a possibility, but maybe I'll try the Wine Glass Marathon next October and if I don't Boston qualify maybe try the Marathon in Mesa a few months after. Would not mind running some trails or a short race after a recovery day or two. More easy for me would be taking the train to run in one of Led's races, after all he took a train to run the NY Wine Glass a few years back!

Led - good distance with the 34 and 28 mile weeks! So how far is your leg of the relay? My cousin's son had a cat allergy, but he did better when I ran an air filter when he visited. Had a dream about cats in my garden, I counted 21 felines! Looked for a cat when I went in my garden today, but instead saw a trapped cardenal! I keep written log because I am paranoid a magnetic pulse could wipe all computer records!

My speedwork this year has mostly just running a little faster whenever I felt like it. I am noticing some faster paces, particularly in my first mile, but also have noticed sometimes I increase my pace after a long warm up of like 6 miles or more. Led is right that I often do fartleks where I run a section or sections of my course at a faster pace and hope to eventually run the whole route at that pace. But what I am trying now are what I call accelerations or more commonly known as strides. This is where I run faster until I reach the fast pace I set, at least as what is shown on my Garmin. I tried for a momentary 7 mm pace today, you may recall it was a failed attempt a few weeks ago. This time I did not tire myself out first with a long run, I thought of a flat stretch just a quarter mile from my house! At 3 pm there was a very hazy sun and it was 57 degrees. I ran slowly to the flat section and then accelerated until I thought I was fast enough, nope! Only 8mm pace! I strained to reach 7mm and Garmin said I reached 6:50mm! Seemed incredibly fast to me! Slowed, ran to end of street and ran back, doing a second stride to a momentary 6:50 pace! I only maintain that speed for like a second or so, but it gets me used to a faster form! Interesting that Stava had me only reaching a 7:30 pace for the first stride and like a 9:00 for the second! Compare the pace graphs, I tried to adjust the images to the same scale. The Strava graph looks smoother, maybe they average ot the paces more! Strava also does not count the times when I momentarily stopped. Also, for some reason Garmin often shows a false pace peak at the start, some artifact of the program.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

The oral surgeon had an opening, and I was able to move up the tooth extractions scheduled for next month. I had two teeth pulled today, one from each side. On the lower left one I got a bone fill and I'm considering an implant for that one. Not too sore right now, took some ibuprofen. I'll be eating soft foods and will just take it easy for a few days, no running!

Oooops, I guess I was flustered by the storm, and forgot that it is October! Thanks for all the encouragement and nice thoughts! I'm grateful that the storm cleanup is not worse.

AZtrails, I run a local route that explores a few close neighborhoods with 2 Strava segments. I gotta keep my Local Legend status. LOL!

It is all road and sidewalk. I used to run at our local state park, but I want to increase my mileage to make the park excursion worthwhile. I'd really like to get back to my favorite 10 mile out and back route.

Today's run was a little over 6 miles. I had to stop by my house in the middle of my run to swap my long sleeve shirt for a tank top!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Wrath - I've gotten "Local Legend" a few times on Strava, for those who don't know it means you have been running a segment more than anyone else on Strava! Six miles is a decent run, I'm sure you can get to ten if you run consistently several times a week. Nice to be able to pass your home mid-course so you can change clothes! You overdressed! Best to feel a bit cold starting out and warm up.

Extracted teeth don't feel painful today, so have not had to take ibuprofen. Still, I was concerned it might be too soon to resume running. But felt warm today, sunny and 70 degrees by late afternoon. I went for a walk around the block. I went into Highland Park, just a half mile walk from my house. I really need to take more advantage of nearby parks and trails! There is an exercise loop there and I used the machines. Walk was 2.6 miles total.
                            Here is a tree on my street where the leaves have turned red

A railway station that was moved to the park. The park has baseball and soccer fields, plus a dog park. I walked a path around the perimeter.

Here are pull-up bars. I failed in my pull-up attempt, but managed to do a chin-up. Now I used to be able to do 19 chin-ups, but guess I need to try this more often to build back my arm strength.

This machine on one side you sit and pull down on bars, which lift the seat, the other side you push bars. I did better pulling down, not as many reps with pushing out. There were a couple other machines there, but it seems they took some of them out. Too dangerous?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Pretty much duplicated yesterday. Today was around 70 degrees again, but more cloudy and just hazy sun. Did the walk around the block and went to the park to exercise. About the same results as yesterday, I can only do one chin-up and only part of a pull-up, but I tried both and then did a loop around the park where I used other machines and then repeated the whole routine. So two reps for the exercises I tried. Another exercise I can't do is where you rest your forearms and hold handles and try to lift up your legs, like an "L" shape. Although I could not do the pull-ups and leg lifts I tried each twice, my experience is if you keep trying you can build to eventual success. I will try to continue going to exercise in the park, at least if the weather allows. I don't want to get weak.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Today was colder, around 53 degrees and mostly cloudy. Went for a walk to the park and exercised again. Muscles feel sore, so I must be getting a workout! At 2 pm I went for a run. Traveled by car to a flat dirt road. I wore shorts and tee shirt and with some wind felt chilly at first. Intended only 3 miles, but felt good, so I did 4! No issues from the extracted teeth.

A horse pasture, saw them running later, but not in this picture.

An uphill curve

Bumps along the road and changing trees

I was surprised to see people setting up for the Genesee Valley Hunt Races, an equestrian event that will happen tomorrow!

Dark clouds over an old wooden barn

Further down the road looking back at the barn along a fence