50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

Chantilly75

NH Runner You don't have much choice there....potholes on the trail or cars on the highway!

This neighbor had open heart surgery at age 55. He gets out with the snow blower and is pretty active these past 4 years. But I thought they were away for the holidays and I wanted to have their house look like someone was at home. (We share the upkeep of our common yard/sidewalk.)

az2mntrail  Avoiding falls in such an elegant manner means Trinity is your middle name, then. You have had a lot of trail practise in keeping your balance.

I got an email from aravaipa about registration is now open for Javelina Jundred. (Oct.31) This is on my bucket list, but probably not this year.

Jo_  Hope your training goes well!

rmcj001 Nice total for last year. Good luck in 2015.

Art in AZ Have a good 10 Km!

3 miles yesterday with son.

11 miles today.

I can't figure out why people run indoors with a hat on? This lady had on a tech running hat and there's 2 guys who always wear a ball cap every winter. I wear light mitts indoors because my hands are so cold, but don't understand why the summer head gear. 

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 1/5... I took yesterday off, running the railtrail when it was so rough messed with my right knee a bit.    4 mile railtrail run today, 24 degrees, 20 / 25 mph wind with gusts to 35 mph.    I didn't get a 100 yards down the trail before the wind blew my hat off...lol   Anyway, we got a few inches of snow yesterday that filled the ruts on the railtrail and I was thinking the footing would be better, especially since a few snow machines had gone through.    Instead, it was soft in most places and slippery in some.   Here's today's splits, after the stop in the first mile to retrieve my hat, I stopped in the second mile to try to locate some deer that were "blowing" at me... 13:23, 13:06, 12:27 and 11:09.    Try not to be too Jealous Ray...

az... considering what you're running in, you had a very good week.   I take the attitude when it's like this to just get these maintenance runs in, knowing it'll pay dividends down the road.

Jo... good luck in your 10K!!

Ray... those treadmill splits are really good.   I don't recall you running a sub 7:00 before, is that something new?    Did your BQ get you into the 2015 race or do you have to wait 'til 2016?    Solid running as usual, nice!

Art... 13 miles?   Look out 10K, you're ready!

Chantilly... we posted at the same time!   I hope you know I was "razzing" you about your neighbors, it's awesome you jump in and help out.      And you're right, I'm between a rock and a hard place lately when it comes to a place to run, but it won't last forever, it'll just seem that way...lol  RE: baseball caps inside, I think some guys substitute a hat for a wig...    Still logging really good miles!

NH Runner

I want to share a really good video.    I don't believe many of us are born with good running form, it's something we have to learn.   Also, there's a lot of bad info out there that can set you back if you're not careful.   How many times have you read or heard, "Don't bounce, focus on the horizon, it shouldn't move up and down as you run."  Or, how about this gem, "Your feet should churn under you as if you're peddling a bike."

Here's an Olympic runner doing an easy run.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVH2qOwZd18  At about the 2 minute mark the video switches to slow motion and you can see the obvious knee bend that's loading her legs elastically and the extension in her drive leg after she pushes off.   There's quite a lot of up and down motion as well, debunking the instructions I've mentioned above.

It has been/will stay pretty cold for the next few days.  Most of the day was around -4 degrees, 8mph wind, feels like -15 degrees!! BRRRR!!

Could tough it out and post it on "more miles than degrees" .......but why?!? Especially when I've been feeling cold since the artic blast Saturday and don't want to get sick with all the flu crap around......so drove to gym and completed a great workout.  Finished 7.2 miles, 1 mile elliptical and about 30 mins. weights.  DH went for a swim.

NH:  I know the feeling of running on trail with ruts, frozen or not.  Your knees take alot of stress from that ......I wear a knee support (right knee) for that reason, to keep it stable.  RE: video:  running barefoot (on grass especially) makes a difference in planting feet and take off.  I've watched other videos on form and feet plant but there's a debate on foot strike: forefoot or mid-foot. Body alignment comes into play which really affects stress on hips as well.  So much to think about when you run but just from experience and advice from other seasoned/experienced runners, I seemed to have found my 'groove' when I run dirt trail and road.  I pay alot of attention to my knees specifically and my foot strike really makes a difference in post-run recovery on my knees.  It's been a long road. 

NH Runner

az... the point I was making in the video is the bad advice that's out there for new runners and runners trying to improve.    I just saw where Meb spent 75% of his time in the air, with both feet off the ground while running the Boston Marathon.    So, to tell a runner to avoid any up and down movement by focusing on keeping a steady horizon is ridiculous.   Same thing with having your feet churning under you as if you're peddling a bike, all it'll do is slow you down.

The runner in the video is barefoot, but doesn't race that way.    Without getting into exactly how our feet should land, (we're all a little different)

she does a good job of demonstrating the basics of what good running form looks like...

Same thing with having your feet churning under you as if you're peddling a bike, all it'll do is slow you down.

......... the coyote is a great example ...... but road runner had it down!!

az... the point I was making in the video is the bad advice that's out there for new runners and runners trying to improve.    I just saw where Meb spent 75% of his time in the air, with both feet off the ground while running the Boston Marathon.    So, to tell a runner to avoid any up and down movement by focusing on keeping a steady horizon is ridiculous.   Same thing with having your feet churning under you as if you're peddling a bike, all it'll do is slow you down.

The runner in the video is barefoot, but doesn't race that way.    Without getting into exactly how our feet should land, (we're all a little different)

she does a good job of demonstrating the basics of what good running form looks like...

NH:  I agree that with so much 'advice' out there, it gets overwhelming and confusing.  To me, there aren't too many drastic changes to go through on road compared to the various terrain on a dirt/technical mountain trails.  She does make it look effortless and form looks so natural.

NH Runner

Tuesday, 1/6... with the colder air overnight, the snow on the railtrail hardened up and made for better footing.    4 miles again, my dern hands keep getting cold for some reason and today I had 'em in my jacket pockets for half the run.    Yes, I'm going to bore you with the splits...  11:11, 10:43, 12:04 and 10:26.

az... that's it, I want to run like the Roadrunner!!!

I read today that Rita Jeptoo, winner of the last 2 Boston and Chicago Marathons has tested positive for the banned substance, EPO.    Really disappointing...

Art in AZ

6 miles in sunny, less cold weather. Probably in the high 30s. It's not cool weather because I still wear gloves to keep my hands warm. Though if I ran in the afternoon I could probably get away with wearing a short sleeve shirt.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Had a nice long reply yesterday and some how deleted my window.  Can't blame it on the site, I fumble fingered some keyboard shortcut that deleted the tab, but I know how you feel when you lose all that work...

NHRich - Let's try again.  To answer your question, not the first time under 7 mipm on TM, but certainly the fastest mile on TM that I've recorded.  I've done several miles in (usually last mile) in the 6:57 range, but I don't do it as often as I probably should.  That mile felt oddly better then the other ones IIRC and I only stopped because DW had somewhere to go (add incentive to finish quickly  Wink.

Boston Marathon registration opens mid-September and fills up over the next 2 weeks.  Last couple of years you needed to be under BQ time by about 1 - 1.5 minutes.  So, too late to make this years (2015), but should be well positioned for 2016.  Near as I can tell, your corral is based on your submitted time and you can move up by submitting a faster time after you've registered.  My time would put me in corral 1 of wave 3 this year, but who knows for 2016.

Regarding stride analysis.  I think it's fun to watch really good runners with nice form, but it might be even better to look at bad form as well. This analysis of Priscah Jeptoo's stride is interesting as a counter point.  She's really fast with an ungainly stride!  The video is 17 minutes long, but my big takeaway was the cadence rate, over 190/minute!  The quicker cadence reduces your contact time, which reduces bounce and stresses on legs.

I think I found a video of Haile Gebrselassie running that shows kind of what my foot strike looks like (his stride is much better, but foot landing is very similar). Video is in Japanese and the foot strike is easier to see towards the end where they show him running barefoot.  Anyway, thought you might enjoy this one too.

Az - Man is it cold there!  Our high yesterday was close to 73F (close to record for the date) and very similar today.  Yeah, I know I have it rough...

Chantilly - Guess they were worried about Sun exposure?  You never know when those stray rays will hit you indoors...Nice double.

Art - Man, even Arizona is colder then here!  Good you got your miles in!

Yesterday did a quick 8.2 miles in 1:05:50.  Several crows were chasing a golden eagle and it landed about 15' above the trail as I ran under it - pretty cool.

Today was doing about the same run, a bit slower when a runner I see all the time caught up to me just about where I planned to finish, so ran an extra 3 miles talking to him. 11.2 miles in 1:37:14.

Ray

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning in sunny clear weather. Still cool in the morning but warmed up into the 70s later.

Rich - I read a little about your "Irish mail". I remember having one when I was much, much younger. I follow a car repair/bodywork forum and saw your next project.

Dang. Can't get the picture to post.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Thursday, 1/8... took yesterday off, I needed a break from the cold.     It was -12 degrees this morning and I saw on the news that Boston canceled school because of the cold.   I thought, "If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me" and headed for the treadmill in the basement.    4 miles at an easy pace, it's easier for me to stay on the thing if I don't make myself too uncomfortable.    At the end of the run my heart rate was 132, after 1 minute of walking it dropped to 98 and from what I read, that's a good number...

Art... you're running some solid miles, good for you.    Can you post a link to the picture you were trying post, I'd like to see it if you can.    I'm still tinkering with the Irish Mail.   There are two dead spots where the crank hits "top dead center" and it won't budge if you're sitting still and it stops at those spots.    I've got it fixed in my head, (I'm not an engineer, but play one in my basement) now I'm in the process of making the parts to see if it'll actually work...

Ray... see that, I do pay attention to your splits!   Regarding Prisca Jeptoo, I cringe when I see her run...lol   You have to think there's something not necessarily wrong with her knees, but they are different.    However...lol when they slow her down, there's a bunch of air under both her feet as she runs, which bears out what I'm whining about, people should run with a little bounce in their step.    And  Haile Gebrselassie was an awesome runner!   You must be a quiet runner if you land the way he does.

And not to be out done, here's the greatest woman marathoner ever.    She's funny to watch, but man could she run... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wnGFEZ808

Mon:  Ran 7.2 miles on TM and mini track.

Tues:  It was about -3 degrees, 17-29mph wind, feels -25, some light snow flurries, cloudy.  REST day.

Wed:  Not any better!!  Around 11 am, it was -12 degrees, 12-15mph wind, feels like -32 but SUNNY.  Did not want to drive to gym and obviously not going to try to 'tough it out' by running in those conditions, OMG!! It got cloudy and snowed the rest of the day into the night.  The 'high' was -6!! Yep, 6 BELOW!!  Another REST day.

Thurs (today):  I HAVE TO RUN and it was cloudy, light snow but WINDY.  Around 11 am, it was 4 degrees, 25-35 mph wind, feels -18.  Drove to gym and ran 3.1 miles on TM and 3.2 on mini track.  10 mins rowing machine, 10 mins elliptical, and 20 mins weights.  

Schools and many businesses were closed yesterday, the coldest day yet.  It's safer to just stay home.  But it was back to 'normal' today!!

rmcj001

Az - Wow, such bad weather! Kudos for finding the motivation to get your runs in!

Art - If you look in the "Masters Running" forums there is an excellent "How to" on posting pictures pinned near the top.  Good runs!

NHRich - Being slightly bowlegged, it is hard for me to imagine running so knock kneed!  Besides the head bob, Paula's form looks very smooth to me.  When looking at strides, one shouldn't be looking at air under feet, but how much the torso and head go up and down (head doesn't work in Radcliff's case 'cuz there's so much motion in her neck).  Most of the better runners have very little motion of up and down relative to their stride length.  Also, it is important to remember that there will always be exceptions to "ideal" form in any sport.

Thursday, 8.1 miles in 1:03:15.  Felt good and started at a quicker pace then normally and kept moving faster.  Slowed a bit when an ultra runner ran with me for about a 1/4 mile.  Temps have been pretty mild here with no rain in sight 

Friday, about 8.2 miles in approximately 69 minutes - GPS watch ran out of power around mile 4, so running time is based on start time and alternate time piece that only shows minutes.  Distance is estimate based on running further then previous day.

Ray

justrundan

Ray, you just keep getting faster.  Way to go!

Rich- appreciated the video.  She sure makes it look smooth.  I'm afraid of what a video of me running at camera and away from camera would look like, particularly at end of run! 

AZ- we've had just a touch of the subzero that you have had.  Tonight is supposed to be the las sub-zero night for a week.  We will see!

Chantilly- nice going on the track.

I broke the streak earlier this week during a bad cold/cough.  back at it the rest of the week with 4-4.5 mi each morning on TM.  Much to cold to go outside, but not as bad as northern MN where AZ runs!  Need to get a longer run in tomorrow, those are hard for me on the TM.

Stay warm and safe everyone!

Dan