50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning under cloudy skies before the rain arrived. Couple hours later had light rain before clearing up around 2:00 PM.

Rich - Nice time for your 15K. There are a couple of guys here who speedsters also. I wish I could compete with them.

Rich - Oops, NH Runner. Interesting running to your heart rate. The treadmill has the monitor built in, correct?

Chantilly - Nothing like running in new shoes. The weather in the morning is still a tad cool for my liking. Most of the garden did fine during the cold days. I covered most things at night and then uncovered in the morning. According to some reports I have read, a good cold nip is suppose to bring out better flavor. Not that I could ever tell. The tomatoes were covered but still suffered some cold damage on the outer parts. And the basil I had left, well it got dug into the soil Sunday along with the remaining green beans. The beets, carrots, onions, peas, lettuce and peppers are all doing good. Made seafood stuffed chili's a few days ago.

AZ - I'm sure you wished for the warmer Northern Arizona weather. Nice runs. I'll see the IMS course soon enough.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 1/14... -12 this morning when I got up, but 20 degrees by noon, so I grabbed the dog and headed for the railtrail.    Hard packed snow, so the footing was good.    A 1/2 mile in, 2 snowmobiles came up behind us going way too fast and scared Sim.   From then on, he lagged behind looking back to be sure there weren't more machines coming and made for a difficult run.   I stopped and walked a lot and turned back after a mile and a 1/2, Sim was just way too distracted..    Anyway, 3 miles total and a forecast for 25 degrees tomorrow, so maybe I can run the highway and get in a better run...

Chantilly ... good news on the shoes, eh?  Good for you!   Ok, as an Ultra runner, what's different in the way you train versus the rest of us?   I notice you cross train more than most of us, is that part of it?   I've read each run should have a purpose, do you agree?

az... you're hanging tough in some pretty tough conditions, good for on the 6.2 miler!    It doesn't take much to maintain fitness and that's all we can hope for 'til the weather improves, I think you're doing great!

Art... most people think treadmills aren't very accurate when it comes to speed and if that's the case, running with a heart rate monitor just makes good sense.   In my case, I work a lot harder on my treadmill running at a certain pace.   I think newer machines are different, but I  have to wear a chest strap in order for the machine to display my heart rate, but yes, the monitor itself is built into the machine.    The chest strap?   Women have my sympathy, I'd hate to wear what they have to wear all the time...

rmcj001

Chantilly  - the miles just flow by.  Keep it up!

WDRich - Nice job on your 15K!  Do you find it to be an odd distance?

Az - Next race will be 1/2 in Death Valley 1/31.  Some good miles you're getting in inspite of weather.  Keep on truckin'!

Art - Nice 10 miler!  Sorry about the garden...

NHRich - Too bad about Sim, but glad you got some miles in.  Tomorrow is new day...

Monday, team from France is in town - so lunch run was out.  5 miles on TM in just under 45 minutes.

Tuesday, boss said I had 1 hour before start of afternoon meeting, so a very quick 6 miles in just over 45 minutes.  Core SPX session in the evening - shoulders were still jello this morning with just a tad soreness this evening...

Team building lunch today, so maybe a couple miles on TM tonight...we'll see maybe an URD...

Ray

WDWRich

Ray - For me, since I run mostly 10k races, I like the 15k distance as a work-up to a HM.  Will be running the San Diego HM in early March with my daughter, so the 15k this month was timely.

WDRich - Nice job on your 15K!  Do you find it to be an odd distance?

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Chantilly75

Art in AZ It should be warming up for you soon. Yes, I have heard that certain vegetables are supposed to be better tasting after a cold snap.

NH Runner  That is too bad about the ski-do scaring Sim. Maybe he will forget about it, if you wait for a bit before taking him there again.

rmcj001 Work seems to be interfering in your training, also!

12 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 1/15... 7 mile railtrail run today.   Packed snow, but I wore Yaktrax to keep from slipping, pace was low 10:00's.   A good workout for my legs just the same.

Ray... busy schedule, eh?   You're doing well under the circumstances.    Had a Red Tailed hawk grab one of the doves at my feeder the other day, they're a beautiful bird, but not a popular visitor to the feeder...

Chantilly... I had a coyote cross the railtrail in front of me today, then cross again going the other way at full speed when he heard me coming.   Sim saw the last one that did that and he's acted like we're on a Safari whenever we run ever since.    He's very aware of his surroundings and the speedsters on snowmobiles only added to his list of things to be wary of...lol    I'll take him again, but not right away...

az... question: is it harder for you to get enough air into your lungs running in the cold?   Seems like I breathe a lot harder running in the cold...

Art in AZ

8 miles this morning under clear skies, slightly cold until the sun rose. Ran along the canal path and came across a bunch of ducks sleeping in the middle of the pathway. Didn't bother moving, just looked at me.

Ray - Good luck on your half. I had to look that up. That would be quite a drive from here though.

WDWRich - Oooh. San Diego. Have been there a few times but never in a race. Maybe some day.

Chantilly - Nice 12 miles. When the weather starts warming up then most people will be wishing for cooler weather. Go figure.

NH Runner - Does it feel much different running in the Yaktrax? OK, you saw the coyote twice. Where was the roadrunner?

I think it is harder breathing in the cold. At least it was for me when the weather was really cold here. Relatively speaking. During the morning, the upper 20s is cold when it's usually in the 40s.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Fletch

Hello friends!

Sounds like everyone is off to a roaring start to the New Year! Ray, WDWRich, Art - nice jobs in your races. Dan - Great year last year - and good job on the holiday streak. NH Rich - you are really starting the year strong, especially given the weather conditions.. Chantilly - as usual, I'm in awe of your workouts! Az - nice job dealing with your conditions as well - and a belated Happy Anniversary!  If I missed anyone, I sincerely apologize.

Started back to school this week, for the last semester of pre-requisites for the Physical Therapy Assistant program. I received word last week that I have been accepted into the PTA program starting in the fall (only 2 spots were available through our local college). I also will start a shadowing program with a local PT next week.

I made it to January 3rd with the holiday streak, then intentionally missed a day. I was glad to do the streak, and it served the purpose of getting me back into a good "groove." But I was not crazy about the "squeezing in a late night mile on the treadmill," simply for the sake of the streak. I knew the longer I kept it going, the harder it would be to stop. So I stopped it myself.

Since I stopped the streak, I've only missed 3 days of running, but I have been really mixing it up...sometimes running with the dogs, sometimes doing hill work, sometimes a gump run, sometimes LSD, and, of course, the weekly speed work with the gang. I will start a more formal routine the last week of January, when I'll start a HM training plan, working toward a race in May. This will be my first HM.  Between now and then, I'll probably get in a couple 5k races, and maybe a 10k or two.

DW and I are planning a trip to California to do some hiking at Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks in June. After we return from that trip, I plan to start a marathon plan, with my eye on a marathon in late October or early November. Right now, I am leaning toward the Outer Banks Marathon in Nags Head, NC on November 8th.

5 miles this morning with the speed group (rescheduled from yesterday due to icy forecast). Also did a HIIT group workout this morning - good cross training.

Happy Running, everyone!

TGIF!!

Ran Sunday, rest Mon., ran Tuesday, rest Wed.

Can't believe we've had a HEAT WAVE since Wed!!  Mornings were usually blazing sunshine but day ends with cloudy skies with light snow flurries but temps were NICE with above zero temps!!

So yesterday, Thursday:  about 22 degrees, 12mph wind, feels 12 and partly sunny by noon.  Have not run outside since Sunday and needed some fresh air (versus the stuffiness of the gym, people sniffling and coughing too ).  Bundled up and ran up frontage road through another neighborhood and back, around fairgrounds on return home: 6.2 miles total.  Frontage road was mostly clear with patches of icy areas which were easily avoided but the dirt roads had some light fresh snow for good traction.  THEN drove to gym about an hour of elliptical (2 miles), cycling (2 miles), weights, and stretching.  I feel kinda guilty that DH paid for spring semester membership for me and I'm avoiding going to the gym when I can (really, it's ONLY to avoid running on TM)!!   But it is worth it to have gym access to incorporate more cross-training with the elliptical, rowing, weight machines and cycling .

Tempted to run this morning but planning on long run tomorrow so walked 3 miles:  8 degrees, 8mph wind, feels like -10.  Wakes you up for sure!! LOL!!  Rest today. Hope to get in a 12 miler tomorrow (Sat.) .......outside ......and then go to gym.

NH:  yes, I find it a little harder to breathe in cold weather running.  But I think it depends on what you consider 'cold' ........there are some serious die-hards who get some great mileage in zero temps!!  I'm not one of those.    Some speculate that the cold air 'warms up' going through a cover (scarf, balaclava, etc) if you wear that but I think that make it more difficult to breathe in anyway, especially if it begins to freeze up.  Also, from what I have read, no one has suffered major health problems from running in the cold unless you have some respiratory problems like asthma which tends to induce some coughing fits for some runners.  I'm not sure if breathing IN through the nose and breathing OUT through the mouth is as 'easy' in winter running.  That seems to be the dilemma which makes it feel like its 'harder' to "get enough air into the lungs" thus a lot harder to breathe. IMO. My balaclava covers my mouth and nose but has an opening under my nose, and small dotted opening over the mouth.  It works.  Most importantly, I take it easy and not run any faster than the icy/snow conditions dictate.  Does this make any sense?

Fletch:  kudos to you for making it through the last semester!!   CONGRATS on being selected for one of the two coveted spots!! WOW!! That's commendable with all the other 'stuff' you have to fit in.  That had to be tough:  to stop the streak but it's understandable.  Your planning on training for HM and FM sounds realistic and I think you have a good foundation to work from.  I've made a solo trip to Yosemite some years ago (before DH) and camped out for a week!!  I mean, it was just my car, tent, sleeping bed, running shoes, hiking stuff and little stove!!  But a huge RV parked next to me the next day with an elderly couple who must have felt sorry for me because they made breakfast and coffee each morning for me, invited me over for a couple of dinners!!   "Those were the days"

Art and Chantilly:  WAY TO GO on those miles!!

NH Runner

Friday, 1/16... change of pace today, 4 miles of kick and glide cross country skiing on the railtrail.   The trail was hard (I intentionally fell a couple of times just to be sure) and the skiing was fast.

Art... I'm supposed to be the "Road Runner", but lately I'm the "Treadmill Runner".     The Eastern Coyote is big compared to its western cousin, males here can weigh over 50 lbs.   If Sim were to run into one alone, it'd probably be about as safe as him walking into a Chinese restaurant.    And no, running in Yaktrax doesn't feel any different than running without them.

az... thanks.   I'm not running in severe cold either and probably running too many miles on the treadmill to expect running in the cold to be easy.   I read that cold air has no moisture and maybe that's what makes it different.   At any rate, I guess I won't worry about it 'til it's warm and I still have trouble.

Fletch... you're doing great with the career change, you're almost there!    Sounds like our training plans for the summer are similar, for me it's a half marathon in June and a full in September.    It's obvious you're training with seasoned runners, you've got a nice routine going...

Chantilly75

az2mntrail  Sorry, I missed you on the previous page. Good thing the sore throat didn't amount to anything! That was some cross training workout you did!

Art in AZ I saw those canal paths years ago with some runners using them.  Those ducks were too cozy to get up!

Fletch_NC Good to hear that you are doing well with the new career.  Good luck on the HM training and the vacation.

NH Runner  It's a good thing someone is out there testing the trail for others.  Can you put YakTrax on skis? hmmm....

10 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

You all have kept busy, way to go!

What a week.  I'm liking corporate medicine less and less. 

The TM has kept me moving, if I'd had to get outside my mileage would be miniscule.  Able to run every day this week except Tuesday, 2-4 miles each day.  Today I did 3 on TM early in morning, then 6.5 on riverwalk in early afternoon.  Felt great to run outside, hopefully more tomorrow.    28 degrees, with breeze felt like 19, very tolerable.  I even saw a beaver on the ice of the river at the end of the run, just sitting there chomping on a tree branch. 

Chantilly- wow, no small miles on your schedule!  way to go.

NH Rich- good for you checking out the hardness of the trail.  Good information. 

AZ- good variety for you between outside runs, the TM at the gym, and theother equipment for cross training.  That would be one reason I might think to join a health club, but after what we paid for the TM, DW wouldn't be to excited about that! 

Fletch- that is GREAT news about the PTA program.  Excellent job!    I felt the same about the holiday streak.  Enjoyed it for that time, but good I cut it off before it took on a life of its own!  I like your idea of HM this spring and FM this fall.  But I don't think the job would give me the time I would need to get in the miles to really prepare.  Enjoy the trip to CA and the national parks.  DW and I hope to go to Glacier or Yellowstone this summer, have never been to any of those out west beside the Grand Canyon.

Ray- only you could 'sneak in' 6 miles in 45' and go back to work!

WDW Rich- very nice 15K.  they don't have many of those around here, but I'll look for something before HM this spring.

Enjoy great weekend runs friends!

Dan

Fletch

Happy Saturday!

AZ - I really don't know how you do it in that weather! I understand that it is what you're accustomed to.  But I'm a southern boy, and I can't imagine running in air that cold! Sounds like you've got a good routine with the cross-training. I have been spending more and more time in the gym, especially since I completed the Personal Trainer certification. I believe, over time, the strength training and the cross-training will pay dividends with my running. Are you familiar with HIIT workouts? As for our Yosemite trip, we are planning to do a lot of hiking, but DW is not keen on the camping thing. We are booked at a couple different lodges, and will just be doing day hikes. We have both said for years that we would like to see the giant sequoia trees.

NH Rich - 4 miles skiing sounds like a good workout. Yes, running with the group here has made a big difference for me. I still enjoy going out for a run alone, but as I add more and more long runs, it will be nice to run them with a group.

Nice 10 miler, Chantilly. Are you able to get out at all for runs, or is everything inside for the next few months?

Dan - I hope you are able to get outside for another run today. I really don't know how you guys do so many miles on the treadmill!

After running AND HIIT cross training Thursday, my legs were screaming, so I rested Friday. Hooked up with 7 others from the group this morning at 7am for a nice easy 10 miler (10:10 pace) through horse country. Air was a little brisk (for us, not for most of you!) at 29 degrees when we started. Clear skies and sunny, so it warmed up pretty quick. Beautiful morning!

Now off to spend the day with the grandkids! Sunday will be an SRD for me. Looking forward to a long walk with DW, then settling down to watch football - also with DW (I'm so lucky to have a wife who loves football as much as I do!). 

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Art in AZ

6 miles Friday, 3 miles this morning. Long run tomorrow, thinking 13-14 miles.

Fletch - Nice job on the streak. It's funny how something like that can get a life of its own. And congratulations on getting in the PTA program.

AZ - Way to go on the miles in the conditions up there. Plus going to the gym afterward. Think of the gym icing on the cake. No pun intended.

NH Runner - You should start a blog about the rail trail so you can inform everyone of the conditions after you check it out.

Chantilly - Nice miles as usual.

Dan - Good job working in the miles despite the job. Doing a second run later in the day is a good way to relieve some of the stress.

After finishing lunch it's back outside and a little more work in the garden. I hear some veggies volunteering for dinner.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ