Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

obiebyke

The bone itself isn't tender to the touch--good sign, right?--but when I put weight/walk on it, it hurts midway down my leg like it's radiating from my bone.  A strong ache.

Obiebyke - where does your shin hurt?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Obie I just had shin splints before I had my foot issue. They suck. Actually I blame them for my foot issue. They developed a week or 2 after my October half marathon so I way cut back on mileage and took a lot of extra rest days between the beginning of November and my December 8th HM..... I didn't do a single run over 7 miles in that time and had significantly decreased weekly mileage due to the shin splints, so I think my tendons and ligaments and bones weren't ready for the pounding of 13.1 miles. BUT that is just my theory. I think the only positive of this long layoff right now is it also got my shin splints completely cleared up. I would recommend lots of rest. Sorry you have this issue Sad

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning....please think happy thoughts for me for good news. I am 26 days on the bench, 25 days in the boot from hell, and I am just hoping for clearance to do the stationary bike, yoga, if I am REALLY lucky the elliptical, and REALLY REALLY luck no more boot!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

obiebyke

Thanks for the info, Kristin. Resting for now. Going to try some foam rolling for my knotted-up calves and see if that helps, too. GOOD LUCK on your doctor's appointment!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nevrgivup

LOL. Redrum. He is lucky I didn't get more angry with him. I am a total bi%^$ when I can't run. Its that whole grieving aspect of losing something you LOVE so much. You know?? So many things go through your mind like:

What will I do to replace running?

What if I can't run again?

Should I just give up running and stick to something else?

I will get fat if I don't do something, so stop complaining and just go to the gym? Grrrrr. Not a gym rat at all!!!

How long will I be in pain and is this ever going to go away?

Than you have the monkey wrench of the marathon in there? How am I going to feel that day volunteering and not running? Its also hard when people ask you how your running is going or how the training is going? Its like " I wish I could run!" I know its still early, but I've had those thoughts about thirty times a day. I'm a bit obsessive and over think a lot of things. Running is my outlet. Sad Sad

Kristin- Good luck with your appointment! 
          obiebyke- I hope you get some answers on your pain.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hilary your thought process while not running is mine almost exactly! I only go to the gym while injured and can't run because I need to do SOMETHING to quell my fears of losing fitness and getting fat during the layoff as well as keep my stress at bay since exercise is a huge stress reliever for me. This injury is so much worse to me than when I had ITBS last year at this time and had a long layoff because I could at least do bike and elliptical and cardio classes like zumba, as well as yoga (which I do once a week). No cardio and no yoga coupled with no running for 4 weeks has seriously been killing me. I won't weigh myself but I know I've gained weight and I can't bear to think of the fitness I've lost.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Nevrgivup

Hilary your thought process while not running is mine almost exactly! I only go to the gym while injured and can't run because I need to do SOMETHING to quell my fears of losing fitness and getting fat during the layoff as well as keep my stress at bay since exercise is a huge stress reliever for me. This injury is so much worse to me than when I had ITBS last year at this time and had a long layoff because I could at least do bike and elliptical and cardio classes like zumba, as well as yoga (which I do once a week). No cardio and no yoga coupled with no running for 4 weeks has seriously been killing me. I won't weigh myself but I know I've gained weight and I can't bear to think of the fitness I've lost.

Sad I'm so glad to have somewhere to vent and that others know exactly how it feels to not be able to run. It helps to write it all down. Its a wonder I didn't need to take an antidepressant last time around. Not that its a bad thing. I just know I'm a better more happier person when I am running and I feel bad for those around me right now. Its like I'm angry at the universe.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Got good news to share. Can wean off the boot starting Monday....wear it to work or anywhere else that requires a lot of and sneakers the rest of the time. if it hurts go back to the boot. If it doesn't I can get out of it completely next Monday. I can resume any exercise I want just in moderation, use my judgement, build up slow, if it hurts stop. SmileSmile

Hip Redux

Got good news to share. Can wean off the boot starting Monday....wear it to work or anywhere else that requires a lot of and sneakers the rest of the time. if it hurts go back to the boot. If it doesn't I can get out of it completely next Monday. I can resume any exercise I want just in moderation, use my judgement, build up slow, if it hurts stop. SmileSmile

YAY!!

Nevrgivup

This is the hardest part for me and a lot of runners coming back from injury or running through injuries. I'm glad you can start exercising again. 

GinnyinPA

This is the hardest part for me and a lot of runners coming back from injury or running through injuries. I'm glad you can start exercising again. 

I agree.  I kept telling myself "It only hurts a little."  When the pain is low level, but persistent, it can be hard to refrain.

Hip Redux

I agree.  I kept telling myself "It only hurts a little."  When the pain is low level, but persistent, it can be hard to refrain.

Yep, +1000.

I know for me, once I am cleared I want to just move forward without looking back, but you really do need to be patient and look at the big picture.  Sometimes that means scaling back, extra rest days, etc..   I took a full rest day Friday just because I am at more weekly miles than I had planned for and even though I was feeling fine, I felt like I would be pushing my luck to keep pressing.

Nevrgivup

So what do you do when injured and have cabin fever due to the cold? Research the shit out of your current injury. I found a really good article about hip and sciatica pain that I plan on taking to my p hysiatrist whenever I can get in for an appointment. Apparently hip bursitis can cause all sorts of buttock pain, leg sciatica, and similar symptoms of back injury. Its a finicky injury where most of the pain is worse when sitting and hurts more at night and when I lye on the effected side. I'd take a cortisone shot in the bursa if it would help the pain and help with healing. At least I will get to the root of the issue with the p hysiatrist by doing my own research. He may even want to hire me when I become an NP.  

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1888398/?report=classic

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice work Hilary on the research!!!!

As for doing too much while injured, I know I have that tendency. Which is why I am benching myself for another 2 weeks. The doctor said use common sense and that is what my common sense says. I will take this next week to slowly walk less and less with the boot and do some elliptical and spinning, then the next week no boot and more elliptical and spinning, and then if that all goes well start incorporating runs and build up slowly. If I say my plan enough maybe I will stick to it and not do TMTS. I have already decided to DNS my January 26th HM so I don't feel pressure to make a comeback too soon.

Hello,

I  too am injuried and hating it.  I am a 40+ wife, mom, RN and runner who has been sidelined since October.  I trained all spring and summer for the Philly R&R HM in September.  I had right knee issues on and off all summer especially with my longer runs over 8 miles.  Wasn't sure if I would even do the HM as my knee was very achy the 2 weeks before.  Used a chopat strap and ran anyway.  By mile 10 my knee was locking up so I walked/ran on and off for last 3 miles.  Still finished just over 2 hours.  Took off 10 days, then tried to run but I had pain almost immediately by 1.5 miles.  Finally went to ortho, had x rays (negative) and and MRI which showed patellar tendinitis (runners knee) and arthritis.  Ortho said I could try pt but resting it would be the best plan. And use chopat strap regularly. He suggested at least 8 weeks of rest. Since pain is only when running, he cleared me to do any other activity as long as no pain.  I started taking boot camp and muscle pump and swimming at Y.  I felt that these classes were making my legs stronger and swimming was maintaining my cardio.  I decided to wait until craziness of holidays was past to try again.  Well I have 3 "runs" under my belt all on the rubberized local HS track - one mile and two 1.5 milers.  I really need to pay attention to my form and I have been experimenting with different braces.  Taking it slow is sooo hard.  I echo the sentiments of Kristin and Hilary.  When I had to stop in October it was like going through a bad break-up.  I wanted to stay connected to running (reading other's blogs and posts, signing up for races), but the more I thought about running the sadder I got.  I eventually had to make a clean break and avoid this site and others so that I wasn't constantly reminded of what I no longer had.  Then when I started following my favorite threads, my comrades there didn't really get where I was at.  So I am so glad I found this forum!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Marie

Marie

Nevrgivup

Hello,

I  too am injuried and hating it.  I am a 40+ wife, mom, RN and runner who has been sidelined since October.  I trained all spring and summer for the Philly R&R HM in September.  I had right knee issues on and off all summer especially with my longer runs over 8 miles.  Wasn't sure if I would even do the HM as my knee was very achy the 2 weeks before.  Used a chopat strap and ran anyway.  By mile 10 my knee was locking up so I walked/ran on and off for last 3 miles.  Still finished just over 2 hours.  Took off 10 days, then tried to run but I had pain almost immediately by 1.5 miles.  Finally went to ortho, had x rays (negative) and and MRI which showed patellar tendinitis (runners knee) and arthritis.  Ortho said I could try pt but resting it would be the best plan. And use chopat strap regularly. He suggested at least 8 weeks of rest. Since pain is only when running, he cleared me to do any other activity as long as no pain.  I started taking boot camp and muscle pump and swimming at Y.  I felt that these classes were making my legs stronger and swimming was maintaining my cardio.  I decided to wait until craziness of holidays was past to try again.  Well I have 3 "runs" under my belt all on the rubberized local HS track - one mile and two 1.5 milers.  I really need to pay attention to my form and I have been experimenting with different braces.  Taking it slow is sooo hard.  I echo the sentiments of Kristin and Hilary.  When I had to stop in October it was like going through a bad break-up.  I wanted to stay connected to running (reading other's blogs and posts, signing up for races), but the more I thought about running the sadder I got.  I eventually had to make a clean break and avoid this site and others so that I wasn't constantly reminded of what I no longer had.  Then when I started following my favorite threads, my comrades there didn't really get where I was at.  So I am so glad I found this forum!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Marie

Welcome! I am so sorry you are here, but you will definitely find support here. I am also an RN. Smile Soon to be NP.  There is a grieving process with taking time off from something we love so much. I'm not giving up. I'm going to do all it takes to get healthy and running. I've got 15 weeks till the Boston marathon. I don't care if it takes me the 6.5 hours it takes to complete it. I will at least make it to the starting line and shuffle my way through the experience.

What are you doing now for you knee and can you run now?