Beginners and Beyond

Am I the only one that doesn't like figure skating? (Read 105 times)

RSX

No love for curling?

I have pictures of the New Brunswick curling rink that my mom grew up next to. 10 years ago it was falling apart. I saw it last summer and it looked great. I watch when I know it's on, and got into it again when the Canadian team did well in Vancouver.

Birdwell

Having said that, I watched figure skating and the skiathlon today.  Loved that ski "marathon".  Awesome finish.

My GPS said the course was a little short . . . .

(I hope the racers don't log it as a PR)

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

You are not the only one who doesn't like figure skating.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I could not care less about it really, Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Having said that, I watched figure skating and the skiathlon today.  Loved that ski "marathon".  Awesome finish.

Saw the women's skiathlon also. I was tired by the end. Wink  Jessie Diggins finished 8th, tied for top finish of any American women ever in xc skiing.

Can't wait for the sprints on Tues am. American women have been improving substantially over the years. They're some of our top mountain runners up here.

Figure skating? I used to love it when Scotty Hamilton still skated. And I liked gymnastics also. Both require so much athleticism. This year we're completely inundated with women's xc skiing - at least locally. I still need to fix antenna on tv, but have been catching some events via NBC app on ipad- so I can skip what I don't want to watch.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            Just B.S.

No love for curling?

Love curling, great team sport and lots of strategy and technique involved.

My city has four dedicated curling rinks. One of them which  RSX saw, very popular

Sport here. Winter Sundays after long run are for watching golf and curling on TV Smile

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Which performance?  The bash to the knee or the one on the ice?

Where she cried and begged the judges to let her start over because her skate was untied.

What would Brian Boitano do?

RSX

Where she cried and begged the judges to let her start over because her skate was untied.

That was funny as was them skating warmups at the same time. The chop on the knee happened here in MA. 1 town here has 3 rinks in 1 complex, where Olympians (not just US) trained but not sure if it still happens. I always thought it was cool that they came here, but was never intrigued enough to find out when they were there.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

That was funny as was them skating warmups at the same time. The chop on the knee happened here in MA. 1 town here has 3 rinks in 1 complex, where Olympians (not just US) trained but not sure if it still happens. I always thought it was cool that they came here, but was never intrigued enough to find out when they were there.

Yeah then Harding and Kerrigan both got beat by Oksana Baiul who moved to MY hometown after the olympics because we built her an International Training Center.  Then she drove her car into a tree and was arrestedd for DUI.  Now THAT was a good skating show Wink

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ha.  I remember all of that.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Bores the hell outta me.  I always change the channel and come back to watching when the other stuff is on.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

She should have borrowed Chuck Norris' laces.   Chuck Norris' laces would never DARE to come untied. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

I would describe myself as generally indifferent - I'll watch bits and pieces while puttering around the house.

However, if I were in charge I'd eliminate the artistry scores. Judging the technical part isn't as arbitrary as it looks, and the reliability has improved significantly in the last 20 years.  There is a known list of elements with clear definitions of what you have to do to get credit for the element and specific points assigned to each, and specific deductions for faults depending on whether you fall on your butt or just touch a hand or what not.  No more subjective than a football ref judging whether a receiver had control of the ball when he hit the ground in the end zone.

The artistry crap, well, there are guidelines, but that's closer to judging whether a (non-American) football player was really injured of flopped.

DavePNW

The attack happened in Detroit, where the US Figure Skating Championships were being held.

Dave

LRB

The attack happened in Detroit, where the US Figure Skating Championships were being held.

I was gonna let that one slide by.  lol  No one here could believe it at the time, Lord knows we generate enough bad press on our own but that was truly bizarre.