Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #25 (Read 27 times)

LRB

Ran 5 this morning.  It was about 34 and drizzling so not real nice but no ice to deal with.  Legs were pretty much toast again so went nice and easy.

Followed up with Michigan basketball game in Ann Arbor with DD (they lost - team just can't shoot straight). Had some ice cream at the game then to a favorite stop in AA for a pulled pork/brisket sandwich and tater tots smothered in pulled pork, BBQ sauce, mustard, pickles and slaw.  It was amazing! But, feeling more than a little stuffed! Oh well, going to go for beer and pizza next! Going to need a few miles tomorrow to work this off...

Dave - that is a huge, seriously large, running group!

I watched it. It seems we're mired in the dark days for sports around these parts.

sdWhiskers

Local team here is SDSU Aztecs. Apparently they are having a great season. We went to a game over the holidays and it was a bit nuts.

DavePNW

Local team here is SDSU Aztecs. Apparently they are having a great season. We went to a game over the holidays and it was a bit nuts.

Well yeah, they’re like the only undefeated team left.

Dave

LRB

I believe Brady Hoke is back running the football team. His time here was atrocious but he was more of puppet for David Brandon.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Andrea, we want to see it but chose Bad Boys III instead. We will watch it next weekend I guess. Looks really good.

Some people are complaining about the vulgarity, too many fucks and cunts 😂 I enjoyed it lol

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

To my Fighting Illini!  We are actually having a pretty good season so far.

I didn't know you were an Illini...they looked good. Ayo Dosunmu is really good.  He, along with Michigan's inability to hit a shot or free throws, won the game.  Tough to win on the road in the Big Ten this year and Illinois looked good doing it.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I watched it. It seems we're mired in the dark days for sports around these parts.

+1 other than, maybe, the basketball Spartans. And I'm not a Spartan fan, but not a hater, so doesn't really help me much...

If you happen to be in AA, look up Biercamp on State Street for great pulled pork, brisket, sausage, jerky, bacon, smoked fish, house made beer, lots of other house made stuff.  Small place but very cool vibe and great food.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Brian Dutcher is the SDSU coach; former Michigan assistant in the days of Steve Fisher and the Fab 5. Whatever you think of the Fab 5, that was an exciting time in college basketball, especially around here. From what I've always heard, Dutcher was a key part of putting that team together and the highly ranked teams that followed.  Nice to see him doing well after succeeding Fisher at SDSU.  SDSU has been the other team I root for in the tournament ever since Fisher went there.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I believe Brady Hoke is back running the football team. His time here was atrocious but he was more of puppet for David Brandon.

sorry for turning this into a Michigan sports thread... 

Brady seemed like a really good guy, who was in a bit over his head, and Brandon was an egotistical ass who set him up for failure.  I hope he kills it at SDSU.

Cyberic

I've been running in Brooks Ghosts (12mm drop, I believe?) but they may be a bit too cushiony. 

I also run in the Adidas Adios Bostons (10mm drop) on occasion

And then, the Nikes Peg and Peg Turbo - both of those are 10mm, but those feel softer in the heel.

I did one workout last week in the NB 1400s, which is a 10mm drop, too, but firmer.

What level of discomfort do you run through? This has been bothering me on and off since mid-Dec.

Your shoes already have a big enough drop, so you can't ease the tension on your Achilles by going with a higher heel. I now in 4 or 5 mm drop, so going up to 8, 10 or 12 really eases the tension on the Achilles.

I've never had crippling pain that has stopped me from running.

Last winter I had a cranky Achilles and running in snow didn't feel good, like the heel was digging deeper and less stable so the tendon was working overtime. I still kept run commuting. I was going 12mm drop a lot more, putting heel inserts in my shoes the lift the heel, and stretching the calf, the thighs and rolling the fascia. I don't know if my stretches help, but I believe they do therefore I do them.

But we're all different. Just sharing what I do, and maybe some of it will make sense for your situation.

sdWhiskers

Brian Dutcher is the SDSU coach; former Michigan assistant in the days of Steve Fisher and the Fab 5. Whatever you think of the Fab 5, that was an exciting time in college basketball, especially around here. From what I've always heard, Dutcher was a key part of putting that team together and the highly ranked teams that followed.  Nice to see him doing well after succeeding Fisher at SDSU.  SDSU has been the other team I root for in the tournament ever since Fisher went there.

Penn State alumni here so not exactly a Michigan fan   That said, PSU basketball isn't great, although they did make it to sweet sixteen while I was there.

I'll never feel any allegiance to SDSU but it's nice to see the area rally behind them, especially since the Chargers fiasco.

DavePNW

sorry for turning this into a Michigan sports thread... 

You probably don’t have a single thing to say about any of the Detroit professional teams! Seriously, I can’t remember a time when all four were this bad all at the same time.

Dave

RunningOnSand

Your shoes already have a big enough drop, so you can't ease the tension on your Achilles by going with a higher heel. I now in 4 or 5 mm drop, so going up to 8, 10 or 12 really eases the tension on the Achilles.

I've never had crippling pain that has stopped me from running.

Last winter I had a cranky Achilles and running in snow didn't feel good, like the heel was digging deeper and less stable so the tendon was working overtime. I still kept run commuting. I was going 12mm drop a lot more, putting heel inserts in my shoes the lift the heel, and stretching the calf, the thighs and rolling the fascia. I don't know if my stretches help, but I believe they do therefore I do them.

But we're all different. Just sharing what I do, and maybe some of it will make sense for your situation.

Yep, my Achilles doesn't like snow running, either. I feel like I'm going to be only on the TM. Which, if it keeps me running, I'm happy. No complaints about that.

I was thinking about what you said about easing the tension on my Achilles with a higher drop, so I dug out my slippers and am wearing them around the house, now. Surprisingly (or not), it feels way better wearing them. I'll also continue to roll the fascia & stretch--I should have been doing that all along, anyway.

Thanks for sharing what helped for you. I know we're all different, but sometimes these maladies share a common theme, so it's always good to hear what's worked for someone else.

And Docket--I looked up the Clifton 1s. Looks like they're a 5mm drop (and did you know Hoka re-released them? They are on their website only!) ... I've got some heel inserts from a few years ago when my achilles was hating me then, so maybe I'll try them out with the inserts, just walking on the TM with some jogging, to see if that helps at all. Thanks!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeap they did a year or so ago and I got me 10 new pairs through the last year! 🤦‍♀️

Yeah while the achilles hurts don’t go too low on the drop.

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

You probably don’t have a single thing to say about any of the Detroit professional teams! Seriously, I can’t remember a time when all four were this bad all at the same time.

Not really. They are all bad. Definitely dark days for the pro spirts here!