Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins grab a dog. (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

National Chili Dog Day!

PADRunner

Been years since I had a chili dog and not really interested in on, but it is the day.

4 done this morning.

From the Internet.

I am also very ambivalent about chili dogs. I would eat one if it were handed to me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out.

I did 5.7 this morning, was hard to get going at first but felt good by the end. Still working out some post-race kinks - I feel like something new is sore every day. Ankles on Tuesday, Achilles today.

I met with my coach yesterday, I told him I wanted to focus on getting faster at the shorter stuff this fall. My plan for the rest of the summer/fall is to keep my weekly mileage where it is, in the 25-30 range, but add a second quality day to my week. As long as that goes smoothly over the next month or so, I'll run a few races from Sept-Nov, take a week totally off (or just super easy/short runs) at some point, and then start building mileage again over the winter. Feeling good about this plan, as much as I want to keep upping my mileage I think time is going to become a concern once my daughter starts kindergarten and I really have to start pushing to get my thesis done. Should be defending in December, and then I'll have plenty of time for more running after that Big grin

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Up at 5 a.m. today and off to a different YMCA in the city.   This is the 3rd week in a row now I have run Tue-Wed-Thur mornings.  By the time Thursday morning rolls around I always think I'll be dragging after 2 straight mornings of running, but so far it has not worked out that way, I've actually felt pretty good on Thursday mornings. Today was no exception.  Did 3.5 miles run/walk,  ran the running segments well, and felt a great at the end.  A bit tired - but the 'good' kind of tired where you know you've had a quality workout.   The only difference from my other running days this week is that storm clouds are moving in today, so it is VERY humid today - shot up to 94% for my outing this morning.  I was sweat-drenched by the time I was finished.

Congrats on the 4, PAD.  I can't eat chili dogs, my stomach and digestive system no likey.  I can't eat anything more spicy than very mild mustard.  So no "hot" chili, no onions, no garlic, no hot sauce, etc.  Yeah, I have a very mild and boring diet.   Oh, per yesterday's thread, as far as Cowtown, yeah, you and Sly would be pushing me a LOT in that wheelchair, lol, since I really can't run farther than about 10K distance...that seems to be the range for my back. Any distance over that,, my back starts nagging the hell outta me!

Congrats on your determination, Lauren, in getting out there and getting 5.7 done!  Good luck with your thesis.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Quartet rehearsal last night was good, tonight is chorus rehearsal!!  I have already grabbed a dog this morning, for petting purposes.  I was mock fussing at Dusty for always having his butt in my way, and DH chimed in with Dusty's inner monologue, "My butt is not always in your way.  Sometimes it is my face in your way!"  Yeah, Dusty's like that!

Oh, chili dog.  That's different!

PAD -- I usually get chili dogs when DH and I are driving long distances and stop at Sonic for food.  Good stuff!!  Woo-hoo for your 4!!

Lauren -- yeah, it's hard working all the kinks back out.  Woo-hoo for your miles!!

Scotty -- nice Thursday run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Then there was a fellow who spoke a couple of times at my church when I was a kid.  He was a little weird, the talk I remember was all about how Noah's Ark had landed on Mars.  His name was Mr. Gaverluk, and my folks always called him Grab-a-duck, at least between themselves ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I think I'll pass on the chili dog.  I think its been 20+ years since I've eaten a hot dog.  Found a bit of bone in one when I was 8 or 9 and was done with that idea forever.

Yesterday's 5k went surprisingly well.  My friend PRed -- her first sub 40 minute 5k :-)  It was a PW for me, but that was to be expected after 2 months off of running.  I was able to run the entire thing at a slow/steady pace (~12min/mile).  There was a teenage girl running group there being paced by volunteers so I just hung out with them.  It was good that I did because the route wasn't marked and there were two turns where I could have gotten lost (I didn't look at the race map beforehand).  I'm in such poor running shape right now that I feel worse today than after I ran my HM in May.  Just need to get my body back used to the muscle usage I think :-)

PAD - nice job on the 4 -- that's my long run distance this week (oh boy, starting over from scratch is terrible!)

Lauren - that sounds like a good plan

Scotty - I'm with you on that one -- I did two days in a row and that's made me quite sore/tired... today will just be a cross training day

HsM - yep, dogs are like that.... my dog sometimes curls around my head/shoulders when I'm in bed, though her favorite position by far is the "birthing position" right between my legs

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Working from home today.  Pilates done and my coach asked me to do a short run tonight to see how I feel so that's what I will do.

Damaris

SheCan

Been years since I had a chili dog and not really interested in on, but it is the day.

4 done this morning.

I crave and indulge in a chili dog or a brat with mustard and kraut, YUM!!!!!  and good job on the 4!  Yay@ registering for all those races (and marathon!)  you really have a lot to look forward to, and to strive for.  Best of luck.  It'll be fun watching you train.

Lauren--I'm sorry you're still dealing with the post race kinks.

Scotty-- you da man!  Getting up at 5 every morning takes determination. I hate getting up that early.  Glad the new schedule is working out well.

HsM-- Happy singin's to you.  Haha@ Mr Grab-a-duck!   So funny the odd things we remember from childhood.

sapf-- yes it does take a bit to get back in shape.  Sometimes I think it's harder because we expect it to be easy getting back.  Good for you for helping your friend PR.

We had a beautiful overcast morning, and I was able to run over 7 miles without dying!  I sure hope we have several more of these days.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

Hi, guys.  Working from home today.  Pilates done and my coach asked me to do a short run tonight to see how I feel so that's what I will do.

It doesn't count as Damarisfying if I say "Hi" now!  :-)  Hi, DR, hope your run goes well tonight!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Fixing to go get my hair cut.  I didn't tell DH or any of my friends, because I'm curious to see if anyone notices.  Usually, nobody does. 

SheCan

Fixing to go get my hair cut.  I didn't tell DH or any of my friends, because I'm curious to see if anyone notices.  Usually, nobody does. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't notice that way too much got cut off.    Good luck to you!

Cherie

Singer who runs a smidge

Well the guy was personable, very knowledgeable, and it was a good experience overall.  I like the cut, I think my hair is quite cute, and I'll be going back there.

Even if it was $53, plus tip! 

Though with my hair, I tend to get what I pay for.  This guy was probably the most knowledgeable stylist I've ever had.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well the guy was personable, very knowledgeable, and it was a good experience overall.  I like the cut, I think my hair is quite cute, and I'll be going back there.

Even if it was $53, plus tip! 

Though with my hair, I tend to get what I pay for.  This guy was probably the most knowledgeable stylist I've ever had.

You do not want to know how much a haircut will cost here.  Hope it looks great!  Can you share a pic?

Damaris

From the Internet.

EHRMAGERD! OUR MORTGAGE LOAN IS APPROVED! We're super serious buying a house now!! Big grin Closing next Friday!