Beginners and Beyond

Quickish 5K recap with 10K pacing question (Read 61 times)

Julia1971

Way to keep it together on tired legs!  And considering the elevation, I don't think that slow down at the end is all that bad.  Nice job.  (I think there needs to be a name or acronym for 2nd best PR.  "PR the Lesser"? "PR2"?).

I'm going to be a bit of a hater and suggest the 10K will be slower than the McMillan prediction.  Sad  Not because of anything in particular.  Just that I have a lot of respect for that distance.  You pay for weaknesses in races in that 10-15K range.

In any event, I think your real test is the HM you have coming up.  That will really tell you where you are IMHO.  Looking forward to it.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Oh thanks for reminding me:

My coach who was an Olympian (steeple chase)  - 3:55 mile - 13Tight lippedx 5k - 0:55 400s etc...

*HATES* the 10k with a passion - calls it an evil race distance - will soapbox about the 10k...

So um... yeah have fun with it.  (and I might join you and do one this weekend as well... and it will truly suck ...   truly)

First, great job to you and MBC.

Your pacing should take care of itself, really.  Harder than the strategic fast of a HM, yet slower than the edge-of-disaster of a 5K.  I like the goal 5K-10K-HM progression;  that's exactly what I did for my HM PR this spring.

What stood out about that 10K, at least for me, was how little position changed in the last mile.  Unlike the 5K, where the strong kicker can reel in similar-ability guys without a good kick, finish order was pretty much solidified by 5 miles.  So I guess I'm suggesting making a move between 4-5 miles on the guys you might possibly beat.

No more marathons

Babs, FWIW all of my 5k and 10K PRs (both younger and as an old man) have come either during or just after marathon training.

Nice results on the hilly 5K - I would expect you will blow away the 10k if you want.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

*HATES* the 10k with a passion - calls it an evil race distance - will soapbox about the 10k...

As much as I want a speeding car to pull out of a side street and hit me between miles 2 and 5, the 10k is an absolute must-race distance in my season schedule as its benefits have far reaching effects on running fitness...

not that I ever qualified for the Olympics or anything, although I did watch Carl Lewis botch the National Anthem after his retirement from running.   

B-Plus

Bag the 10k and use it as an opportunity to make up some ground on DaveP. Back to back long runs this weekend 

Baboon

delicate flower

Thanks for all the great responses.  Much appreciated.  I am certainly keeping my sights on the marathon, but with the marathon still being over three months away, nothing I do in this 10K short of an injury will have any impact on the marathon.  Seeing how 10K's are a rare breed and I only do one, maybe two a year, I want to run this as well as I can and put all those track sessions to the test.  I won't have another crack at one until next year.  Besides, shorter races are fun and can be a nice confidence builder.

As I've gotten more involved in the local running scene and the wife's triathlon group, I'm getting to know more and more people.  There is going to be a good turnout of people I know at this race.  It's going to be a fun day.

<3