Beginners and Beyond

It's Thursday. Let's show some hustle. (Read 44 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Bluerun - sorry about the NY race. Good luck booking your trip. Have you already paid for the marathon?

No -- I'm running for the same charity I do every year, so I'm not rushing to beat an increase in the registration fee.  I just don't want to do it until I have the flight booked!  I'm GOING to run the NYC Half, except that since without getting in, it's impossible for me to do 4/6 like most people here, I'll have to run it for a charity, and because I won't to harass everyone to sponsor me, I'm just going to cover the monetary goal myself.  So that's two charity races in the same month.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

hog4life

Thanks for the comments on the attire yesterday, I will be in shorts, LS+SS shirt and gloves with plan to pull the LS. My best run ever was on my HM PR, where it was 18 degrees at the start! Today is a RD.

DavePNW

I don't have any hustle...or mojo.

+1000

I ate a metric shit-ton of sushi last night. Business dinner at a pretty high-end place. It was awesome. Unfortunately I didn't get home till 11:00, and had an early meeting this morning so had to get up at 4:00 to get my run in. And even then didn't get in as much in as planned.

6 miles w/5 strides, to see if I have any speed in me whatsoever. Answer: nope. Lately when running easy, I've been having sort of a dull ache in the general area below the waist & above mid-thigh (twss). I learned today that when trying to run fast, it becomes a more focused pain in left hamstring and front of right hip. I'm thinking about bailing on my 5k; I'm imagining best case is a disappointing result, worst case is exacerbating my current situation. IDK.

Dave

zzyzx

Lat pulldown, long pull, seated leg sled and then stair day. 

Reverse split today, started slow, ended strong so 41:42 was my final time. Not epic but solid. Now back to my insane piles of work!

oldfartrunner

Baboon - Hope you get past that cough like hell phase quickly!

Docket - Good luck with Bugsy.  Glad Hershey is ok... do you get frequent flyer miles at the vet?

Another rest day for me.  Posted my Race Report in the Ultra Forum --> LINKY

WARNING - It's loooooooooong.  But it was a long race.  Grab a cup of coffee, beer, or glass of wine.  But I won't be offended if it's a tl;dr and you just enjoy the pics and punchline.

Great race and RR Berto!  You killed it Dude!  ...Just a heads up for people heading over to read it. You have to join the group to reply-at least I think?

oldfartrunner

+1000

I ate a metric shit-ton of sushi last night. Business dinner at a pretty high-end place. It was awesome. Unfortunately I didn't get home till 11:00, and had an early meeting this morning so had to get up at 4:00 to get my run in. And even then didn't get in as much in as planned.

6 miles w/5 strides, to see if I have any speed in me whatsoever. Answer: nope. Lately when running easy, I've been having sort of a dull ache in the general area below the waist & above mid-thigh (twss). I learned today that when trying to run fast, it becomes a more focused pain in left hamstring and front of right hip. I'm thinking about bailing on my 5k; I'm imagining best case is a disappointing result, worst case is exacerbating my current situation. IDK.

Might be a good idea, the race will only stress it more. Sad  A hammy sucks and the pain radiates to different areas-usually butt. The front of the R hip, may be a hip flexor, like Jay had.

Good morning runners

baboon- hope ya feel better

I got 6 easy in. Hip flexor is coming around. Maybe some Q work next week?

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

RunningOnSand

Dave, sounds like a wise decision to skip the 5k. You've already proven that you kick ass. Maybe time to let the body rest a bit?

Blue, sounds intense! But fun. I've run for charities before as well, and I like the idea of just covering the fundraising part myself (my least favorite part is asking others for money). I would love to run the NYCM someday....I also need to win the lottery or become a millionaire before all these runcations. Hoping I get into Chicago next year.

Hog4life, sounds like a solid choice!

ZZY, also sounds like a solid workout.

Bert, looking forward to reading your RR! I actually like longer ones.

SRD here.

LRB

Some downward facing dog might be in order. And strides when you are not fully recovered from quality absolutely blows. 👎 👎

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Dave, if you can't run fast without pain, yeah, skip it.

Damaris

hog4life

Hey Bert, that was a fantastic RR, read every bit of it. Haha, the pic of your drop bag looked just like mine last month compared to all the Pros! Congratulations!

Bert-o

I lost my rama

bluerun - I may be there with you in the NYC Half.  Sucks what you have to go through to get in, but remember you're still supporting a noble cause!

Dave - I'm with the others on that 5K.  I still haven't recovered from a hamstring injury from Nov of last year.  Not worth it.

OFR - I do remember Ultraman!  One of the first sci-fi shows I saw when I was still munching on my boogers.  Thanks on my race and advice for the others!  I think I may have found my calling.

ROS

hog - Thanks man!  I was totally flabbergasted at all the crap they brought out.  It looked like they were out for a picnic, not a race!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

DavePNW

Dave, if you can't run fast without pain, yeah, skip it.

The hammy actually has felt a little wonky since way back early in training for the last marathon, so sometime in the summer. Always felt it more when doing any kind of speed work. I was worried it would blow up, but it never really developed into anything much more than a twinge. I seem to have aggravated that, and the hip thing is pretty new.

Thanks for everyone's input. The more I hear, the more likely it is I might actually listen....

Dave

onemile

Thanks for everyone's input. The more I hear, the more likely it is I might actually listen....

Skip the race. Take it easy the next month. Make the choice while it's still a choice.

oldfartrunner

The hammy actually has felt a little wonky since way back early in training for the last marathon, so sometime in the summer. Always felt it more when doing any kind of speed work. I was worried it would blow up, but it never really developed into anything much more than a twinge. I seem to have aggravated that, and the hip thing is pretty new.

Yeah, and the longer you have a injury (chronic), your gait will change to accommodate the injury. Since it is the other side, the hip thing could be from the hammy.  It's crazy! I've had a L Quad/IT band thing since my hammy, and now it is getting better as my R hammy is.