Beginners and Beyond

MONDAILIES: It's Going to Be a Four-Cup Day (Read 49 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Woke up with severe asthma and the lingering cold.  I am surprised I finished that HM yesterday at all, knowing how low my breathing is right now.  I might have to use the breathing machine for therapy later today.  So, SRD.

Damaris

LRB

Mostly, what I was trying to bring up with Free Soul yesterday is that a GU so late in the run is unlikely to have more than a mental effect.

This is absolutely true, but just for the sake of clarity, only if you are taking them to aid in race performance.  If you are simply hungry, want to see how your body will react, or want to get a jump start on the recovery window, taking one late in a long run is acceptable.

Otherwise, to race with them yes, you would take one every 40 minutes or 4 to 6 miles (depending on your speed) or thereabouts for a marathon.

I actually did not need a GU the two times I tried them last fall during training runs (a 15 and 20 miler), it was actually just a test to see how my body would react as I planned on trying them for the first time during an event.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've done marathons both with and without GUs.  Hard to guess about the benefits.  In one (the without one), I did not PR by 30 seconds and I was running it easy.  On the second one, with GUs, I PRd and ran faster than the one without by 4 minutes.

Damaris

LRB

The two I have run were both without them, but I had come to a point last summer where I thought I might benefit from them.  Knowing what I know now however, I know I will benefit from them.

B-Plus

I only ran 3 times last week and yesterday's run was cut short because it sucked, but I'm taking last week as a win.

Let's try again today. Min 3 miles after work.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Gonna put some miles in on the tmill today.  Gonna probably shoot for 3.  We'll see.  Still treating the knee like it's hurt so haven't run anything over 2 yet.  Maybe 2.5 if fear gets the better of me.

Battling heartburn something fierce this morning.  Ate way too much junk this weekend but boy was it good. 

Off to work...while the kids & dog snore up a storm at home on their day off. 

Randy

happylily

If I run my LRs easy, no fueling. If I mean to run them at close to MP, or with many MP miles in them, I take one GU. The effort will dictate whether I need one or not. I never take gatorade, except in marathons. I almost never drink water in a half, but I may take a GU around mile 8 if I think about it.

As for eating, I could never go without it for 8 hours. Never. I am conditioned to eat every 2-3 hours. I'm not talking about donuts and candy bars, I'm talking about nuts, crackers, cheese, yogurt, etc... I guess we all have our own ways when it comes to nutrition. We have to stick with what works for us.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm trying to get my body used to receiving a gu around 11-12 miles or after 2 hours rather than 6 or 9 miles during training runs, trying to have my body trained for when my LRs are 16+.  I figure it's best to do it now and learn from mistakes rather than make the mistakes during the runs of 16, 17 and so on.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

As for eating, I could never go without it for 8 hours. Never. I am conditioned to eat every 2-3 hours.

Except for overnight, unless you are a sleepwalker/eater?

BP, how is the scale looking these days?

You are doing great easing back into things Randy!  Tom is too.

LRB

I'm trying to get my body used to receiving a gu around 11-12 miles or after 2 hours rather than 6 or 9 miles during training runs, trying to have my body trained for when my LRs are 16+.  I figure it's best to do it now and learn from mistakes rather than make the mistakes during the runs of 16, 17 and so on.

In the meantime, you are burning a shit load of fat.  Which will likely double once you start throwing faster paced running in there!

DavePNW

I'm actually on board with training the body to run on less as well, and routinely do most of my running without anything. I paid more attention to fueling on my long run yesterday, but only because it was followed by a medium long run I WAS RUNNING THIRTY-FOUR FUCKING MILES!! Mostly, what I was trying to bring up with Free Soul yesterday is that a GU so late in the run is unlikely to have more than a mental effect.

FYP.

Dave

LRB

FYP.

Amen!  That was my total for the week. 

happylily

Damaris, did you get to meet George? He was running the half-marathon as well.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

As for eating, I could never go without it for 8 hours. Never. I am conditioned to eat every 2-3 hours.

+1. Although I have to think hard of when I am even going 2-3 hours without putting something in my pie hole, when awake.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris, did you get to meet George? He was running the half-marathon as well.

George?  Who is that guy?  Never heard of him. 

This last one you can tell I feel like shit with my fake smile:

Damaris