RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

CliveF
    23FEB2013 Charlotte 10-Miler 10mi Charlotte NC <68min 1:07:46

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Congrats to the MB runners!

My recovery from the calf issue is going ok.  3 runs last week with no pain, so that's good.  Of course, any fitness I'd worked towards during the training feels shot.  I'm still planning to do the full on March 9, but my hopes for a PR and sub-4 feel unreachable at this point.  Still trying to figure out the best strategy for running the race.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Glad you're mending, Paul.  Do they have a HM you could switch to?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

There is, and the transfer fees is only $10.  But honestly - and I'm just being stubborn, I'm sure - I still want to do the full even if it's a lot slower with some walking.  I thought I'd progressively lengthen my easy runs over the next 2 weeks and see how my fitness feels.  When I run, I don't feel too bad, but when I check my HR data it's a lot higher than it was before the injury.

Paul

I am planning to run the Corporate cup, want to run the Half marathon. I also need to run a decent race to get some confidence back, Have not had a good race in over two years.  I think I am in shape to run a semi decent 5K, but the HM will suck a bit so what say you wise folks?  Race the 5K, then cool down on the course for 10 miles or would that be banditing?  Should I just register for the HM, take the 5K split and finish the 13.1? I am afraid I won't run hard enough for the 5K if I know I have to run another 10 miles. Nothing less than a PR at either distance will be satisfactory, need a 22:4x 5K, and I know I am not is shape for a HM PR (need 1:50:4x)

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm the wrong one to give advice on picking distances since I'm currently wavering between half and full, but I can't see racing 5k and then just running the rest of the half.  The few times I've really raced a 5k I had no desire to run another 10 miles at the end no matter how slow it would have been.  But, that's me.

A bit more data to throw into the "Half vs Full" scenario: I went out and ran 7 miles today.  Didn't set out to run that far, just took it slow and felt great and didn't want to stop.  HR is still a little high, but I could already tell a big difference from the previous runs.  This one made me feel like I could at least Gallo-walk the full and enjoy it.  Still time to decide, just happy I had a good run.

Paul

Thanks Paul, who am I kidding, I wont be running the extra 10 miles if I really race the 5K.  If I remember the course, the last half mile is uphill and I should be well done by the time I finish that 5K

Back to you, fresh legs can make you feel like a million bucks and easy to overdo the workout. Not sure if any workout at this point will help your race on Mar 9, maybe one more longish run should be about all you need.

I am planning to run the Corporate cup, want to run the Half marathon. I also need to run a decent race to get some confidence back, Have not had a good race in over two years.  I think I am in shape to run a semi decent 5K, but the HM will suck a bit so what say you wise folks?  Race the 5K, then cool down on the course for 10 miles or would that be banditing?  Should I just register for the HM, take the 5K split and finish the 13.1? I am afraid I won't run hard enough for the 5K if I know I have to run another 10 miles. Nothing less than a PR at either distance will be satisfactory, need a 22:4x 5K, and I know I am not is shape for a HM PR (need 1:50:4x)

Well, I think you just answered the question: race the 5k.

Do you know anyone else running it?  Say, someone in the mid-22min range who paces evenly?  Nothing like racing with someone, working as a team -- despite it being every man for himself at the end -- that helps you save your goodies early, press when you want to sag, and then finish strong.

-- Dick LeBeau

Back to you, fresh legs can make you feel like a million bucks and easy to overdo the workout. Not sure if any workout at this point will help your race on Mar 9, maybe one more longish run should be about all you need.

I'd agree with that (and hope it doesn't backfire).  Not much you're going to pack into your legs in the next 18 training days (taper included) and get any race-day benefit from.  Maybe a longish run this weekend (1:30-1:45), if you think your calf is up for it.  If not, just keep things shorter and easy, chipping away 'til the 9th.

-- Dick LeBeau

Paul, a full marathon exacts a punishing toll physically even if your in shape to run it. Given your condition (dodgy calf), wouldn't the prudent strategy be "to run another day" meaning switch to running the half (as a long run and use it to assess your fitness), and look for another marathon 6 - 8 weeks out fr March 9 that you would run (and train for and enjoy!). This gives you 8 -12 weeks from today (targeting the end of April / beginning of May) to train and get back into "marathon" shape (assuming you can find a marathon that is still open). If you run a full marathon in two weeks, wouldn't you significantly increase the risk for further injury to your calf, in addition to some other compensation-type injury, and potentially ruin your spring/summer or more?

Lynwood, congrats on your PR for your 14.6 miler at Myrtle Beach. For whatever reason in your log you only recorded this at a 13.1 miler? Were you forced to start all the way in the back at the starting line, and given 8,000 plus runners this must have taken forever to get to the starting line? Did you get the chance to run w/the various runners who were going to run your pace or were they too far ahead by the time you got thru the start?

Rob

Run Long, and Prosper!

Nice times on the MB half!

Not looking good for a Wednesday night run, guys Sad Think work is going to keep me from getting into Charlotte at a reasonable time.  I'm in Charlotte several times a year for work, so hopefully I can catch up with you guys/gals some other time.

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

Well, I think you just answered the question: race the 5k.

Sometimes when you put a question on paper the answer seems obvious.  I will ask our running group tonight where there are quite a few folks who run in the 21-22 min range.  If Richard is running this race I could chase him as long as possible.

Shashi I have no clue other than lack of judgement for worrying about the gun time. I didn't expect anything from that. It shows I finished 30th out of 213 with two more being moved to the overall podium. Rob, I made it before the gun went off so I lined up 15 yards from the front. The roads are big enough, even at my pace I'm not blocking anyone. I truly went for 1:38 and didn't try to pace at 7:15. A few tried it and I caught and passed most of them. They all passed me in the first mile.
                            old-runner

Sometimes when you put a question on paper the answer seems obvious.  I will ask our running group tonight where there are quite a few folks who run in the 21-22 min range.  If Richard is running this race I could chase him as long as possible.

Shashi... I think you ought to run the Corporate Cup Half and a different 5k a week or two before or after that. That'll give you an idea of where you stand at both distances.

You won't have me around to chase for the Corporate Cup. I'll be running the Gate River Run 15k down in Jacksonville that day.

Did you go to speed work tonight? I'm still a little sore from the half marathon so I skipped it... just running a few slow miles this week.

Not looking good for a Wednesday night run, guys Sad Think work is going to keep me from getting into Charlotte at a reasonable time.  I'm in Charlotte several times a year for work, so hopefully I can catch up with you guys/gals some other time.

Joe, np. Get to us a week or so prior to when think you may be in the area. btw, looking at your weekly totals, did you substitute an "x" instead of a "%" in your mileage formula in terms of how much should increase their mileage on a weekly basis -- 10x vs. 10% (the mileage you ran this week vs. the prior week)? How are your legs feeling this week?

Clive, are you planning on attending Wed evening or? Better wear your "mud shoes" and/or "rain shoes" for the Charlotte 10 miler on Sat based upon the forecast -- 1/2" to 1" rain forecast for Friday thru the nite -- that first mile on the greenway can get very muddy (I was on it on 1/26, that Sat where we had the sleet/ice in the morning and it was a muddy mess in the afternoon). There are also a couple of sections on the boardwalk after you run under Johnston Road that get low and very messy when it rains (there is one section around the 3.5 mile marker on the first section along the asphalt that will flood some).

Rob