Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/17 (Read 381 times)

Kimmie

Ever have a hard time determining if you're sick or not and whether or not you should run? I feel foggy- like I could sleep for 3 more hours. Slightly sore throat- lazy or sick? run or don't run? I didn't get up early to get it in.... I'll keep thinking about it.... ugh.
    evanflein

Kimmie... that sounds like rest day to me. Last night I was going to hit the bike for an hour or so, but was so tired I just said forget it. Crashed after dinner. I think I feel like I'm totally slacking with the non-running thing, so I'm overdoing the XT just a bit. I guess yesterday would be my first rest day since Monday the 10th, so it's ok. Sure have shot my weight trend though... up 4 lbs since Monday. Roll eyes Shan, you crazy, crazy girl. I'm going to tell you that the last 6 miles will be the longest 6 miles of your life. Be ready for it. And my only real advice for recovering and the trip home is: Ice Bath. As soon as you can after it's over, get into an ice bath for 5 minute dips (5 in, 5 out) and repeat at least 5 times. Ibuprofen will help... and chocolate milk. Take frequent walk breaks on your drive home. You might even jog gently for a half mile a couple of times (there, you'll preserve your streak too!) to keep from stiffening up too much. Heading to the gym at lunchtime, probably elliptical day, maybe some rowing. Have dinner with a vendor tonight, and the annual beaujolais neuveau dinner Thursday night. That'll help keep that weight trend going in the wrong direction.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - thank you. And take good care of yourself!!
          Kimmie - that's how I felt when this cold started. It never felt horrible (just during the marathon), and I'm pretty much done with it now. I ran through it a couple of times last week and it didn't seem to matter much, but that can be debated after my performance Sunday. Get better! Ran today, felt good. Changed my easy pace to match what McMillan says I should do based on my recent 15k. It says 9:15 to 9:45, which still feels fairly easy, but a bit more work than I had been doing in easy runs. Since I'll start mixing in a speed workout of some sort, I'll need to start differentiating between easy and recovery, which will be good. Regardless, it was good to get back out there, though part of my run went through the marathon course. Great memories!

Dave

I love running in the cold. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to do much of it lately with my leg troubles. Took the day off today (sorry, Shan. Streak is over). May take tomorrow too or crosstrain. Saturday I may run a leg on the JFK50 so that will give me another 11. Hopefully my legs will recover by then. So I can injure them again. Nice run, Brian. That slightly faster pace sounds like a good change for you. Only downside will be if you find yourself burned out on hard days, otherwise, I'd stick with it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Kimmie, I remember Nobby saying one of his girls had a cold and he advised three days no running. Hym THREE DAYS, yikes, well never tried that. I try to keep running as much as I can, get on TM, and see how I feel. Yesterday I felt awful and got on TM and felt better. But I stopped at 2 miles. I've held back more with this cold hoping to not repeat last Spring's mistake. (Long story, but I had bronchiitus and ended up in hospital with cardiologist says my EKG was funny, never really got any answers with all that despite LOTS of tests, just assumming I did too much wihle sick.) I'm home sick today, hacking chest cold, a very miserable woman. DH went to work but he's been sick just as long and just as bad, and hasn't been running, so I'm thinking this virsus is just stuborn and go take the full 10-14 days. Just a stuffy nose, I'd be running, but this chest-lung crap calls for rest. Hope yours doesn't develop into the same thing. The time-off not all bad, as I have more energy for the kids. Erika, You know you've been running 50+ mile weeks for so long I don't think you'll have to worry your XTing not having the impact of runnning. The high mileage boys usually reduce running in the fall for a month, and then jump right back up to their old base. They don't use the 10% rule for that. Oh I feel bad, I have not weighed and eating whatever. I don't usually drink pop but some Sierra Mist goes down better than water so I've let myself have some of that. Can I have a break from dieting just till I am healthy again?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - yes break from dieting! Get healthy - it's more important!
                  Got out late. There was no way I was getting 18 miles in. But ran a fantastic 5 on the indoor track. Felt really good after the first few laps of left ankle/calf stiffness. The initial discomfort convinced me that I dont want to push it this close to the race. Im going to run often, but mostly easy between now and then. I will probably do 12-15 this weekend and then go into taper.
                  Cashmason

This is getting old. Went to tri class. Did some warm up, then some strides. Then run a mile at race pace, walk off the track in the first lap. Pulled calf ... again. Was running at a 6:45 pace which is good for me. Every time, I get to about a mile and a half and boom, there goes the leg. And just a month ago, I set a pr at half marathon distance. Swimming went ok after that though. Hurts just a bit to even wal, even now 2 days later. But swimming and cycling, no pain at all. Teaching cycle twice tomorrow, then Friday 2 hour swim and cycle class in the afternoon. One of the instructors, that I met once, went in for heart surgery this week, and they need subs for his class, plus other instructors are getting the flu.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - are you going to fast?
                      Kimmie

Hey Cash, This is just a shot in the dark- I have no idea- but MAYBE you could be overstretching your calf? I did that and my doc said try to avoid stretching? which i thought was weird but every time I forget and stretch my calf, then it feels twingy or tight on the next run- seems counter intuitive to me- who knows if that is what's going on with you but I hope you're able to get it figured out. Every time you write, you make me want to go take a Spin class... I miss those- all I do is running and some weight lifting thrown in there. Speaking of lifting weights, I did an upper body workout yesterday. i really have no excuse as one of my clients cancelled. I didn't run as this cold is still getting me down. I may take one more rest day and run tomorrow. Running in cold weather makes you sick is a myth, right? There is no benefit to running inside. Please say no- because I can't take the treadmill.

Dave

Running in cold weather makes you sick is a myth, right? There is no benefit to running inside. Please say no- because I can't take the treadmill.
                          Absolutely. And this time of year especially, the sunlight probably pays huge benefits (big deal for me since I work in a room without windows, ugh...). If you're weak from a cold, a run inside or out could weaken you and make you more susceptible to it getting worse though. I'm still mostly crosstraining. I seem to be right on the edge of injury, taking a few days off, then running and making it worst, repeating it. It is not really joint pain but the boney part right below my left knee. I watched "Spirit of the Marathon" yesterday. Great stuff. Makes me want to run Chicago next year. I'll be in Detroit by then. Hmmm.....

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Was going to run a medium/long run this morning, but needed sleep. Not the end of the world because I have a bit of time to run this evening. It'll be an hour instead of 1:45, but no huge loss there. This morning was really cold (low 20s) and windy as heck. Tonight's going to be snowing, should have 4" by then. Should have run this morning. I want a do over.

Dave

4 inches of snow. Ugh Tongue Where are you from MrI? I gave into peer pressure and went out for a great run outside. A bit faster than easy pace but surprisingly, my legs felt better afterwards than before. 6.4 miles in just under an hour. Bugs, how are you feeling? Kimmie, any better? When do you leave to head west, Shan?

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Snow, nope, not ready for that. I'll just sit here and complain about the 45 degrees with 25-30 mph winds. First run this year with a long sleeve shirt! 6 miles at the "new" easy pace. Still liking it. Saw a spreadsheet on the 1500 mile group forum that tells you how many miles you need per day/week to reach 1000, 1500, 2000, etc. miles. I need to average about 34 miles/week to hit 1500. Think that's my new goal. Shouldn't be a problem since we aren't travelling for the holidays. One of the few advantages to having a wife 8 months pregnant.