Toronto and Beyond

More Layers Than Kilometers (Read 106 times)

Six layers on my top half. Five kilometers. Is it even worth it?
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.
      I think so. At least you didn't wimp out like me. I now have to run extra on Sat/Sun to make my mileage. Be proud of your HTFU! Cool

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

My log looks VERY sad! My only consolation is that I didn't do much last January, either, partly a heel injury, partly weather. Having grown up in Africa I am not good at dealing with this weather, how these people from the far north (Alaska/NWT) manage is amazing.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

My log looks VERY sad! My only consolation is that I didn't do much last January, either, partly a heel injury, partly weather. Having grown up in Africa I am not good at dealing with this weather, how these people from the far north (Alaska/NWT) manage is amazing.
          You grew up in Africa? How cool is that? Which country? As for the locals, I agree completely. I moved from southern Illinois to Tampa to get away from the winters. I moved from Tampa to Toronto a year and a half ago because... um... well... I know there had to be a reason. No, seriously. I love it up here. Easily my favorite city. But the locals here are just freaks when it comes to the cold. I was out on my run Thursday, it's like -15 with a windchill of -4billion or something, I'm in so many layers that there is actually a half second delay from when my leg moves inside the clothing and when that motion is detectable to an observer, and I pass some dude walking down the street in just jeans and a jacket. No hat. No gloves. Just jeans and a heavy jacket. He wasn't scurrying or at all uncomfortable. He was just strollin' along like it was June or something. Dude made me feel like total wimp. I would have hid my head in shame but the balaclava did that for me. MTA: You say your log looks sad. I say you're one good run away from logging more miles than me. I think we both know that will happen at some point before the end of the month. I usually get the distinct honor of being at or near the bottom of kilometers run each month while at the same time being at or near the top of hours spent running. Now that's sad.
          And who am I anyway?
            Six layers on my top half. Five kilometers. Is it even worth it?
            Really? Here's what I have been wearing: wicking hat (polypro - not fleece), mitts from the RR, running jacket (a nylon shell), long-sleeve Around the Bay wicking shirt), Sugoi Subzero tights (commando, shirt tucked 'down there'), the same ankle-length socks I wear all summer and my usual shoes. I wouldn't call it toasty, but I ain't exactly freezing either...
              Let's see, on top I had a short sleeved tech base layer, a long sleeve tech shirt, a short sleeve tech shirt over that, an warm chilly over that, then a windproof jacket that is completely unlined, just nylon basically, and a bright yellow cotton tank on top of that just so the cars could see me and, well, aim for me evidently. On bottom was just a pair of Mizuno tights that are more spring / fall than winter, a pair of track pants, and a pair of lined water / wind proof pants. I'm really better suited to summer running, lol. I just try to survive in the winter.
              And who am I anyway?
                Ran 10.5 snow-squeaking kilometers tonight at -14C, gloves inside mitts, tech shirt, polar fleece, nylon jacket, got all sweaty, could not believe it. Double underwear tomorrow, though, nearly froze.... Zimbabwe, my daughter still lives there with her husband and my 2 grandsons. She used to be ranked 4th. in the country as a cyclist, road racer, training rides up to 200k, but she is 37 and has retired from racing. Husband used to play rugby with the Zimbabwe Legends team but had heart surgery a couple of years ago. Terrible problems in the country now, unfortunately.

Yeah I read somewhere that the ZWD has gotten to the point where one can buy over 16 million of them with one CAD. Isn't there a point where you have to junk the currency altogether and start over? Or is it a situation where the "haves" still manage to have and it's the rest that suffer from the inflation? Did they ever reach a consensus on the last election? I mean, aside from the fact that the guy who lost wasn't going to surrender power to the guy that won.
                  And who am I anyway?
                    My son went out to visit my daughter 2 years ago and said they paid to stay 3 nights at a lodge with a hockey bag full of money; I have the photos. They recently just cut 7 zeros off the end of their denominations, but inflation is so ridiculous they cannot even calculate a figure. Barter, or hard currency (US$) are used to exchange goods and services. Restaurants write the prices on the menus in dry erase markers, they can change from lunch time to dinner. Negotiations still going on to resolve the dispute, Mugabe and his associates no doubt want some sort of immunity deal before they surrender. Simon.