Letters & Opinions

Introverts’ Clubhouse (Read 142 times)

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

INTROVERTS UNITE!

Rather than burden the gear-grinding thread with our petty complaints about people ruining our quiet moments, I thought I’d start this thread so we can be surrounded by other introverts who sometimes can’t stand the presence of other people.

I’m on break at work, and snacking. I initially went to the designated break room where food is allowed, but it was being cleaned by janitorial services. The person cleaning the room wasn’t talking to me at all, which is fantastic, but I still didn’t like snacking in there while he was cleaning tables. I moved to another room, in hopes of being alone, and a couple minutes later he enters that room and starts cleaning it. FFS, I JUST WANT TO BE ALONE FOR A FEW MINUTES!!

This is seems to get worse as I age.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

DW went away last weekend with her sister and her aunt. I didn't leave the house between a Saturday morning trip to the grocery store and a Sunday evening trip to Trivia Night (except to go out for runs both days, which is still a solitary activity).  It was glorious. Not that I would need to do that all of the time.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

shu_runner

I was in the self checkout at Target and the attendant started making small talk and asking me about everything I purchased.  Fuck.  I just wanted to buy my shit and not talk to anyone at lunch.

Just let me be an asshole in peace.

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

I was in the self checkout at Target and the attendant started making small talk and asking me about everything I purchased.  Fuck.  I just wanted to buy my shit and not talk to anyone at lunch.

I LOVE self-checkout, and I HATE small talk.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

I remember when I was in my mid-20's I would sometimes see if I could make it through an entire weekend day without talking at all.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I could probably complain in here every day.

Running is dumb.

RunJasonRun

As an introvert, I'm all in.

I don't hate people.  I love people.  I just have to balance it with time alone.  The big misconception about introverts is that they are antisocial and that they dislike people, but that's not necessarily true.  It all comes down to energy expenditure.

Extroverts draw energy from being around other people, whereas introverts give energy when they are around other people.

As such, introverts have to “recharge” on a frequent basis by being alone.

A few examples with regard to how I roll...

1. I am talkative, gracious, and outgoing at parties and get-togethers, but I am also quietly daydreaming about being back at home in solitude, and I am often one of the first people to leave a gathering.  It's almost as though there's some sort of switch inside me that flips after a certain amount of time when I'm at a party.  One minute, I'll be taking, laughing, and telling stories with people at the party, and, a minute later, I suddenly feel the need to go home right away.

2. Even during vacations with friends, I have always had a tendency to go off on my own for hours on end.

3. I generally dislike having overnight visitors in my home, because I cannot stand to be “on” all of the time while they are around.

4. The idea of giving a presentation in front of 300 people does not bother me, but the thought of mingling with those 300 people after my presentation bothers me immensely.

5. I'm never lonely when I'm by myself at home, at movie theaters, at restaurants, or even at concerts, but I'm extremely lonely when I'm around the wrong people.

6. I wouldn't work if I didn't have to.  Some people cannot stand the idea of spending time alone at home all of the time reading, watching Blu-rays, or just chilling out, but I love that sort of thing.  It's not wasted time.  It's a great use of time.  When I was forced to spend an entire week alone at home after my appendectomy hospital stay, it would have been the most amazing most wonderful week of my entire life if not for that whole painful three-holes-in-my-abdominal-wall thing.

You got 'em.  Let the anticipation begin.  

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

If we built an Introverts' Clubhouse, what would it be set up like? A circular room with all of the tables facing outwards so you don't have to look at the other people?

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

I am in overall agreement with Jason's post. Introvert high-five!

Baboon

delicate flower

I don't think I am an introvert, but I like my alone time (time with wife not included).  I don't want to run or bike with anyone, I don't want to go to your party, I don't want to make small talk with strangers, I don't want to go to any meetings, and I don't want to eat lunch with anyone.  I just want to be left alone.

<3

shu_runner

If we built an Introverts' Clubhouse, what would it be set up like? A circular room with all of the tables facing outwards so you don't have to look at the other people?

We'd probably be better off in a virtual setting.  Like here.

runny eggs

This is my kind of place.

I have to work at a trade show next week.  it won't be easy.  I visit clients the follow week.  Client visits are much easier than working a trade show.

Not_Race_Coach

'15 Forumite of the Year

There are days I don’t have the energy to deal with Publix employees.

Right now I am annoyed with people at work asking me questions even though I am the correct person to ask.  I’m sorry for the delayed email response, I didn’t feel like writing one.

...this post has been brought to you by gossip websites and whiskey.

RunJasonRun

As an introvert, I love surfing Facebook, clicking "like" on people's posts, and commenting on people's posts, but I hate hate hate Facebook Messenger and I hate it when people send me messages on Facebook Messenger.

I'm always really to-the-point and short-winded on Messenger, because I just want to be left alone.

I'm not sure why being on Facebook doesn't trigger my introvert sensibilities, but Messenger does.  Messenger pushes that "on" button that I mentioned in my above post.

I feel the same way about this here forum, actually.  I love posting on here and reading everyone's posts, but I am always slightly irked when I get a private message here.

You got 'em.  Let the anticipation begin.  

This is my kind of place.

I have to work at a trade show next week.  it won't be easy.  I visit clients the follow week.  Client visits are much easier than working a trade show.

I've come to actually loathe trade shows.

And +2 to Jason's race report response.