Low HR Training

Go On A Trip To RQ-land and other Allenish Places (Read 1557 times)

Hawt and sexy

That's the chart. I blow that thing out of the water. My MAF was not even close to being on the chart when I hit a time close to the 5k time listed for 10mm. Now that I am getting back into things, I would expect the same to be true. My guess it that my sex has something to do with it, but in reality it could be a number of things. When I was in track in HS, I generally did out perform what my practices indicated I could do also. I would also point out that my max HR is way up there, so that could give me an extra gear that others just do not have. But this is just me, I don't fit well in anyone's box. I will take a smoothie. Got a tropical flavor?

I'm touching your pants.

BeeRunB

That's the chart. I blow that thing out of the water. My MAF was not even close to being on the chart when I hit a time close to the 5k time listed for 10mm. Now that I am getting back into things, I would expect the same to be true. My guess it that my sex has something to do with it, but in reality it could be a number of things. When I was in track in HS, I generally did out perform what my practices indicated I could do also. I would also point out that my max HR is way up there, so that could give me an extra gear that others just do not have. But this is just me, I don't fit well in anyone's box. I will take a smoothie. Got a tropical flavor?
      I can make ya a "mango tango" Jamba Juice ripoff. --Jimmy

Happy

If your sex had something to do with it half of all runners would not "fit the chart" - or is there a 3rd gender? Big grin Is that a pocket on the black undergarments? Is it for your Ipod or for an extra HR monitoring device? Just guessing Blush I think you fit very well into the box of LHR-maffers; very refreshing writing style - Thanks!
        5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Hawt and sexy

Those are my spankies from skirtsports.com. They are meant for running to be seen or worn under a skirt. The pocket is for gels, iPod, cell, key, or whatever. The butt is lumpy bumpy but getting back into shape. If you are a chick like me, I recommend skirtsports. They have bras, skirts and spankies with pockets for stuff. Very convenient. I would suggest shopping at their outlet or waiting for a sale. No third sex, I have yet to figure out how to reproduce asexually. Noakes points out that women have an advantage as far as endurance sports are concerned. It's somewhere in Lore of Running. I just assume this advantage is part of the reason as to why MAFfing works so well for me.

I'm touching your pants.

Rudolf

Noakes points out that women have an advantage as far as endurance sports are concerned. It's somewhere in Lore of Running. .
            oh yeah, I heard that too, it goes sonmething like : It is easier to run with the skirt up, than to run with the pants down.

Happy

Those are my spankies from skirtsports.com. They are meant for running to be seen or worn under a skirt. The pocket is for gels, iPod, cell, key, or whatever. The butt is lumpy bumpy but getting back into shape. If you are a chick like me, I recommend skirtsports. They have bras, skirts and spankies with pockets for stuff. Very convenient. I would suggest shopping at their outlet or waiting for a sale. No third sex, I have yet to figure out how to reproduce asexually. Noakes points out that women have an advantage as far as endurance sports are concerned. It's somewhere in Lore of Running. I just assume this advantage is part of the reason as to why MAFfing works so well for me.
              Wow, they are for running?! Shocked Is that a picture of your delicate behind in the avitar or does the body part belong to a skirtsports model? It aint' no lumpy bumpy butt, girl!!!! That's one HAWT butt, isn't it?! I am not exactly sure how to qualify someone else's butt so what am I doing here???!!! Remember, we have to have some mass in order to exist at all - where would we be if we lost so much weight our entire mass vanished? Cry I think I am a chick like you, a chick that could be your mother, so I guess I am a hen?! Wink I have read somewhere, and it could very well be in Noakes somewhere, that women supposedly have an advantage in endurance sports. It has something to do with being more efficient fat burners than men. It may be a myth!? Since we are not competing with men - in running events - it doesn't really matter if we are more or less at an advantage than men. We are competing with other women our age - Thank God - otherwise I would be completely finished. I am glad to hear that MAFing works well for you - I am so new to this training that I can't really tell yet if it is going to work for me. I have several issues I am working on. First, I would like to get completely out of being injured. Second, I would love to see my ability to run faster longer improve. Third, I would like to get back in shape to run some races. Fourth, running/racing another marathon is really what I want to do most of all. That's what I am working on. (Fifth, I'd like to improve my lumpy bumpy derrier so I too can run in a spankie Wink, Just kidding).
              5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
                Thanks Rudolf for clarifying where the RQ deflection point is, namely at 0.85 or 50/50 - I had not understood this before you explained it. In my mind I envisioned an exponential graph after the deflection point but I am glad you pointed out the graph can be linear after that though at a steeper grade....
                Just started to read this thread, and I'm not sure what everyone is saying about the "deflection point" and the RQ (RER) vs HR graph. If you plot RQ vs HR, what is called the "deflection point" is (in our old math teacher's terminology) the point at which the second derivative has a local maximum, i.e. the point at which the slope increases somewhat suddenly. This is not necessarily at an RQ of 0.85 . For example, mine occurs at about 0.76, and I've met people with other values too (higher values.) It all depends on one's aerobic fitness and training, etc, etc. Different people can have different graph shapes. Mine was easy to interpret because it stays mostly flat up to that deflection point area and then rises somewhat linearly up to my AT (RQ = 1.0) One caveat for folks who aren't familiar with my old-time posts: I've seen a few results from good-quality VO2 tests, and I'm a bit of a contrarian when it comes to the "accuracy" of the "180 formula". One coach I know, who insists that all who train under him have a quality VO2 test before starting, says "formulas don't work". Just FWIW.
                theyapper

On the road again...

Back to that MAF pace chart if we can, please. I never read that as "If my 5k pace is this, my MAF will be this" but rather like "If my MAF is this, my 5k pace could be this." Not sure if it makes a huge difference. FWIW, my best 5k time was at an 8:15 pace which should put my MAF pace in the mid 11s. Looks like I'm more in the mid 13s, which is why I'm doing this - my aerobic system needs to develop more.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

BeeRunB

Just started to read this thread, and I'm not sure what everyone is saying about the "deflection point" and the RQ (RER) vs HR graph. If you plot RQ vs HR, what is called the "deflection point" is (in our old math teacher's terminology) the point at which the second derivative has a local maximum, i.e. the point at which the slope increases somewhat suddenly. This is not necessarily at an RQ of 0.85 . For example, mine occurs at about 0.76, and I've met people with other values too (higher values.) It all depends on one's aerobic fitness and training, etc, etc. Different people can have different graph shapes. Mine was easy to interpret because it stays mostly flat up to that deflection point area and then rises somewhat linearly up to my AT (RQ = 1.0) One caveat for folks who aren't familiar with my old-time posts: I've seen a few results from good-quality VO2 tests, and I'm a bit of a contrarian when it comes to the "accuracy" of the "180 formula". One coach I know, who insists that all who train under him have a quality VO2 test before starting, says "formulas don't work". Just FWIW.
                    It was my understanding that Maffetone used the deflection point below the RQ .85 (about 50% fat, 50% carb), not necessarily at .85. What is your heart rate at .76? Has your HR always remained constant at .76? Thanks, Gino. --Jimmy

Wasatch Speedgoat

This is a great thread and I'm sorry to be coming in so late...I actually don't really know what you all are talking about here with this RQ, etc, etc. Just run and run slow! Keep the rate at as close to MAF as you can for "MOST" of your training. Add some surges here and there, short ones that won't spike up your HR. I have been training like this since the winter of 2003/04 when I first read "Training for Endurance". Then i read "Slow Burn" , which i liked even more....other than the tutti frutti stuff and have been training at what feels right for me, which is closer to 140 than the 133 I started at back then, which was Maf +5. I believe Dr. Maffetone suggests one can stay at the MAF he started at and if changes are needed, one can drop by 3 bpm after 5 years. As an experiment (and because I'm feeling a little beat up right now), I'm dropping down to 130 and going to stay as close to that as i can. I run a lot, like 50-60 mpw. I'm 57, but have been running low aerobically now for 30 years with a few periods of faster stuff that just left me in a burning heap. Now for my stats because you've been discussing this: My 5K's these days are around 21 minutes on an average. I ran a 19:52 last June. My marathon now is around 3:45, but last fall I had some problems and ran a 3:51 Undecided My training pace at around 140 is around 9:30-10mpm. My training pace now at 130 is closer to 12mpm. I like training at this lower HR because i feel even better afterwards. I just got back from an hour on a hilly course and don't even feel like i ran! One thing I have "never" done and am going to start is the monthly MAF test run. I'll do my first one this week sometime and report back to this forum. I am now re-reading Slow Burn for inspiration and to keep me on course Wink Steve

Life is short, play hard!

BeeRunB

Hey Steve, Nice to see the creator of his forum checking in! Your right, Maffetone does say you can keep the same MAF for up to 5 years. Looks like you'll be training down at around the same HR I am. I am rebuilding and decided to us 180-age MINUS 5, because i didn't progress in my training last time, and hit a major wall in my marathon. Puts me MAF at 128. After taking a lot of time off, I started up again in January to some very slow paces (with some walking) at my MAF. So far so good. --Jimmy

Wasatch Speedgoat

Good luck with it, Jimmy...I forget just how difficult it is to stay disciplined in this "patience" phase! But we all know the rewards. Plus I like it when Jesse says that he basically trains at below his MAF because he's lazy Wink ...I like his results. If I stayed at MAF-5, I'd be running (or walking real slow) at 118, according to my age....so I stuck with Maffetone's keep the MAF rule and added to that by deciding to train at -10 to what I've been training at, which was 140. I came to 140 because it just got to be so easy and comfortable at that pace...and the benefit was that I got another finish at Hardrock 100 last year. One funny story....I was walking along at around mile 80 up around 13,000 feet when me and this guy sortof hooked up. We started talking and found that we were both doing low HR training and came to realize that if we could just maintain a 3 mph walking pace, we'd start catching people. We were catching and passing people who were running..it was great. So it pays to learn to walk efficiently. I hope to be more regular here....just been incredibly busy trying to get my house ready to sell so I can move back to NM. Steve BTW: I may have created this forum, but it was just an extension of what was going on over at Coolrunning. The people here at RA wanted something similar, so I created it. This is actually a spinoff of the 2000 mile club, which I left because it became the Nashville running club Confused

Life is short, play hard!

BeeRunB

Good luck with it, Jimmy...I forget just how difficult it is to stay disciplined in this "patience" phase! But we all know the rewards. Plus I like it when Jesse says that he basically trains at below his MAF because he's lazy Wink ...I like his results. If I stayed at MAF-5, I'd be running (or walking real slow) at 118, according to my age....so I stuck with Maffetone's keep the MAF rule and added to that by deciding to train at -10 to what I've been training at, which was 140. I came to 140 because it just got to be so easy and comfortable at that pace...and the benefit was that I got another finish at Hardrock 100 last year. One funny story....I was walking along at around mile 80 up around 13,000 feet when me and this guy sortof hooked up. We started talking and found that we were both doing low HR training and came to realize that if we could just maintain a 3 mph walking pace, we'd start catching people. We were catching and passing people who were running..it was great. So it pays to learn to walk efficiently. I hope to be more regular here....just been incredibly busy trying to get my house ready to sell so I can move back to NM. Steve BTW: I may have created this forum, but it was just an extension of what was going on over at Coolrunning. The people here at RA wanted something similar, so I created it. This is actually a spinoff of the 2000 mile club, which I left because it became the Nashville running club Confused
                            Great story. Weird, I'm also getting my house ready, as my wife and I are moving down south as well. A bit stressful right now. Lots of changes, lots of decisions... Keep going, Steve! --Jimmy
                              ...What is your heart rate at .76? ...Has your HR always remained constant at .76?
                              Jimmy - My VO2 test 1.5 years ago shows 0.76 or slightly below from an HR of 99 to 117. It dropped to 0.75 at HR 107. For training purposes, I call 117 "easy", 107 "easier", and 97 "easiest"... In the 117-120 HR range, the RQ increased markedly, and then it rose "linearly" up to HR 149 at RQ = 0.99, which I guess would be my AT. FWIW, the "easy" HR of 117 at an RQ of 0.76 is 75% of my MHR. It might actually be a slightly higher %, because my MHR estimate is about 3 bpm over my highest HR recorded (1.5 months after VO2 test), racing uphill, breathing very hard, and right at my limit. One thing I've wondered about is the effect of the tester increasing the "ramp" (i.e. % grade) at various points during the test. The first time was in that 117-120 range, and I wonder what the results would have been if he had just increased the speed instead at that point (maybe the RQ would have stayed lower longer.) I think it would be very interesting to have a "flat" grade for the whole test, and just increase the speed to force the HR up. Also, I wonder what the test results would be if one already had been running easy for 1 - 2 hours before the test was started. Has my HR always remained constant at an RQ of .76? ... LOL... I haven't had any more VO2 tests (at $200 or more each), so I have no idea Smile ... I just know the results of that test 1.5 years ago. MTA: smiley face.
                              BeeRunB

Well, for the sake of my and everybody's education you have to go get a few more tests! Cool What I find interesting is that 180-age = 110 for you, and if you add that 5-10 beats that Maffetone and Mark Allen say might be necessary for those over 65, it lines up fairly well. I think what makes the Maffetone method more accurate is the adjustments he gives. A person who is aerobically blah probably has an MAF below the 180-age and one who is very fit probably has one higher. I guess that is what he saw in all the RQ testing he did,and is why he made the adjustments, knowing full well his formula wasn't accurate for every one. Honest self-assessment is necessary when working out the MAF. Although, you can't beat a test. I guess a better question to you is: have you seen improvement using the 117 HR as a ceiling for aerobic training? Thanks, Gino, for sharing that information. --Jimmy