Low HR Training

My MAF! (Read 855 times)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Steve I have a hard time relating to you and your runs. Anyone that list 40 mile easy trail run that took 12 hours is in a world I don't understand. Big grin
    Well, it's all relative. I think Jesse understands because he does it. Lots of walking for sure....that particular run you mentioned I was actually sweeping a tough 50 mile race and had to pull all the course markers along the way. I think I calculated pulling over 22,000 course markers. So I had to stop and start a lot, which was harder than going steady. On a normal day 40 miles training would take me about 9-10 hours. Anyway, that day was a great low HR training day, which I need a lot of for my sport of ultrarunning. I can remember the day when i would go out for a 20 miler and run it in 2.5 hours Shocked One thing Deb and I do a lot for training (and what we're doing this weekend) is go hiking in the mountains and run back down....so we dress for running, but carry extra clothes in case the weather turns. Tomorrow we're heading into the Sangres which are just outside of Santa Fe and our destination is 12,400' South Baldy...about 25 miles of easy going and will probably take us 6 hours RT.

Life is short, play hard!

Wasatch Speedgoat

Well I ran this morning and I just don't get it. Maybe I am not a morning person. I woke up, got dressed, stretched and did a couple of other things - went running. Started out sore and some aches in my feet. Not things that I have been noticing before. My pace was a lot slower (the bad news) but my HR was low (145)(good news). I felt like I gave the same sort of effort I have been though. I'm just surprised my pace was sooo slow. The good news is since it was an easy run I just went with the flow. Date..........Mov Time.....Dist.........Spd.........Pace.......Elev...........HR........Temp..........Hum 23May.........1:19.........08.01........6.1.........9:52......0794.........145.........68.9…….......80.5
      Bearcat....are you starting with a good 5-15 minute walk? That makes a BIG difference. It warms up the joints and gets you ready to go. Soreness in the feet and legs is not good, but the easy running and walking will help that to get better. I can't say enough how important it is to have a long warmup and a good cooldown like Maffetone mentions. Your typical run should be like a bell curve where you start at a really low HR, give it 15 minutes to get up to your Low number of your zone and somewhere in the middle of the run you should be cruising at your high MAF zone number...about a few miles out start to ramp it down and finish with a walk for 5 minutes or so. Doing this you will enjoy your running so much more and because of that you will run more and more and thus get fitter and fitter (and faster and faster). Smile

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay next time I will give it a 10 minute walk. Excellent suggestion.
          2011 Goals:
          Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
          Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Wasatch Speedgoat

...and if it makes you feel better, don't start your watch until you start running! I could never just bang, start running....I always have to ease into it. Good luck with it! Steve

Prophet!

best 14 miler so far..9:45 pace HR 130 - 140 first half and about 135 - 145 2nd half, crept up to 150 on the uphills... never felt tired, never pushed it and in the end i still have plenty energy energy to take my son to swimming lessons and to watch a parade... previously i probably would have needed to drink gatorade + 2 gels...this time only drank water. Its great to see improvement in endurance level.

run-easy-race-hard

best 14 miler so far..9:45 pace HR 130 - 140 first half and about 135 - 145 2nd half, crept up to 150 on the uphills... never felt tired, never pushed it and in the end i still have plenty energy energy to take my son to swimming lessons and to watch a parade... previously i probably would have needed to drink gatorade + 2 gels...this time only drank water. Its great to see improvement in endurance level.
              Sounds like you're doing great. There's nothing like the point where the endurance just sticks with you and you're suddenly running much faster than your old pace at 20-30 beats lower heart rate. Of course, it's really a benefit when you can get your long runs and then do whatever else you want for the rest of the day!

Prophet!

Almost the end of my 5th week of low HR running and i'm seeing some pace improvements...from 9:30 - 9:55 in the first week now to about 9:20-9:35 at about the same average HR (135 - 142). Only issue i'm now having to make more of an effort (perceived effort more likely) to get the same average HR as in the first weeks...for some reason my mind seem to think that 9:30 - 9:55 is the easy/cruise pace and anything faster is work even though average HR stays the same. I think i'll try to stick listen to the HR for now at the faster pace, maybe then my mind will begin to think that 9:20 is the cruising pace...does this make sense at all... Either way, i feel much better/more comfortable in all my runs..Looking forward to more improvements in the second half of my MAF base building phase..

run-easy-race-hard

You're seeing exactly what you should see, but in my opinion, very early in the program! That's just great. You will find it gets harder and harder to keep your heart rate up! Somehow it never seems to be a problem during a race. However, one of the biggest things I use my HR monitor for in a race is making sure I keep my heart rate high enough, especially in the last several miles. This is especially the case on the bike, particularly, the exercise bike. I feel like I'm trying to rip the thing out of the ground just to keep my HR at MAF-10.

Prophet!

Updating this log now that I finished my goal marathon. I came in well below my goal of breaking 4 hours, coming in at 4:41:35..but still a 25 + minutes PR from last years. I had a great summer base building, seeing some improvements using this low HR approach. Really crappy 18 weeks marathon training program, coupled with being sick the week of and during the marathon probably led to the poor performance in my goal marathon. I am now looking forward to base-building this winter and fall. Maybe a marathon in March. I'll start as soon as my legs stop hurting Smile . MTA - I'm wondering if anybody else have this problem. Often at the start of the run my HR jumps up to really high values, somewhere around 150 - 180 for about a mile before dropping back down to 135. I'm just wondering if this is an instrument error or the heart actually beats at much higher rates when you start up. I should mention that most my runs are done around 5 AM in the morning.
                    db7

If it's cold out, put a thin layer of vasaline or lotion on the bottom of the strap where the sensors are located. Or, dont turn on the monitor until a mile or two in the run. The sensors dont make adequate contact with the skin(cold and dry) so you get extreme variations in HR. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Me and my gang in Breck

Updating this log now that I finished my goal marathon. I came in well below my goal of breaking 4 hours, coming in at 4:41:35..but still a 25 + minutes PR from last years. I had a great summer base building, seeing some improvements using this low HR approach. Really crappy 18 weeks marathon training program, coupled with being sick the week of and during the marathon probably led to the poor performance in my goal marathon. I am now looking forward to base-building this winter and fall. Maybe a marathon in March. I'll start as soon as my legs stop hurting Smile . MTA - I'm wondering if anybody else have this problem. Often at the start of the run my HR jumps up to really high values, somewhere around 150 - 180 for about a mile before dropping back down to 135. I'm just wondering if this is an instrument error or the heart actually beats at much higher rates when you start up. I should mention that most my runs are done around 5 AM in the morning.
                        Steve, Congrats on the 25 minute PR. Thats a lot of time cut off from the last marathorn. As far as the heart rate goes mine jumps up a little sometime at the beginning of my run but it's usually because I start out running to fast. I mostly run in the afternoons.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

run-easy-race-hard

Great job and 25 minutes is a lot to chisel off. Time, patience, and consistency will reap continued benefits. 98% of the time, high readings early in runs are due to insufficient lubrication of the electrodes. If you don't have an electrode gel, try putting some liquid soap or shampoo onto the electrodes before you start and you should get some nice, clean, consistent readings.
                            Way to go knocking 25 minutes off even while sick. I know that my heart rate is way high at the beginning of races just because I'm excited / nervous. Maybe that will go away as I get more used to racing again, but I kinda doubt it. Smile

sean