Low HR Training

how often to do (treadmill) hills? (Read 309 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

Well, it's getting a bit boring just slogging along on the treadmill, with spring not even in sight yet! Too cold and icy for me outside, I'm afraid. So for variety, I added some 10 to 20 minute "hill" episodes during my treadmill run today. Still keeping below MAF, I was surprised that I didn't have to slow down nearly as much as I had expected. (partly because my treadmill doesn't go much slower than my standard rate. But this doesn't count as a whine!) Afterwards, I was pleasantly tired, a big change from most of my runs these days. Normally, it feels like I haven't been exercising at all. I'd like to do more of these. Is there a magic number of "hill" runs one should do per week, or if all runs are under MAF, it doesn't matter? thanks Rick (In case it matters, my MAF is 130, I'm running about 30 miles per week, at around 11 to 12 min/mile or so, depending)

run-easy-race-hard

There's no right answer (hence the deafening silence!), but getting in a few hilly MAF runs each week can always be beneficial. I do two treadmill runs a week to balance out the fact that every outdoor run I do is very hilly. The part that you're really missing is the downhill element which is really an important piece of MAF training. Do you have a negative incline option?
      northernman

Fight The Future

I don't, but I have realized that I am missing that part. I suppose I could just bundle up and try the cold. At least I live near some small but steep hills, so I wouldn't have to go too far in the cold. I did just see on an internet page somewhere a suggestion to put a block of wood under the back of a treadmill to create a cheapo down-hill tread. I might give that a try. Hopefully the whole thing won't collapse and kill me. I'll keep you posted, thanks!

run-easy-race-hard

There have been some elites who have employed propped up treadmills for marathon training, very successfully. However, indeed you should be very careful.
          northernman

Fight The Future

OK, it actually worked great. I put two foam blocks under the back, lifting it up about 6 inches or so. I ran for an hour, with average pace down to 10:27, all under MAF. That's about 1:20 faster than what I did two days ago with it flat. It felt completely stable, but I think it only worked well because it is one of those space saver treadmills that can fold up all the way, for storing. If it had been a non-folding treadmill, I do not think it would be safe to do this sort of thing. Thanks for the excellent suggestion

Wasatch Speedgoat

My standard treadmill workout is the following: 10 minute easy jog warmup, 5 minute walk @ 4MPH@ 15% grade. Every 10 minute run session I up the pace just a tad, maybe .5 mph. All the walk segments stay the same. I will up the running pace until I hit my upper MAF HR and stay there. My shortest workout is an hour, but sometime I will go for 2-3 hours if the weather is really snowy and icy out on the weekend when I do my longer runs. A couple of weekends ago I did this workout while watching the Pats game. Big grin FWIW, I am an ultrarunner so this workout suits me just fine and gives my legs a break from the roads....it's also perfectly suited to a trail ultra where you walk a lot on the hills. It trains my legs for running and walking! The other benefit is breaking it up like that makes the time go by faster. If i were going to run hill repeats, I'd find a good hill outside and do them there. I probably do this workout on average once a week at this time of the year and very rarely in the better weather. Steve

Life is short, play hard!