Low HR Training

Lacking Confidence (Read 626 times)

I know this will probably sound dumb but I am feeling my confidence is slipping. I am running lots of miles, I just did my first 110 km week. My pace is good, around 4:50 per kilometer. My heart rate is good, typically averaging around 130, which is about 3 beats under Maf. I feel good, no serious aches or pains. A little tired this week but overall good. I am racing infrequently just to gage progress and it shows good results. A 5 mile race at the end of December was 31:15.

All the focus of all my training is a 30 km race at the end of March. It should be a no brainer. Lots of miles, long race but I have never raced more than 10 km and I am starting to worry a bit. I am afraid I will crash and burn. I plan on running around 2:10 which is about what Macmillan tells me I can run, wearing a GPS and shooting for even pacing.

Has anybody done a race that is big increase in length and gotten good results they can tell me about to boost my confidence a bit?

Kevin

Kevin, I am not sure how to respond.  Looking at your milage, base and your previous times, it seems to me that for you it will now be all mental.  You have trained hard.  This quote applies:

“Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in
      the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious
      performance itself is merely the demonstration of their championship
      character.”

Chris

Hey Chris,

You are probably right. That is why I started out my post with this is probably going to sound dumb.

I enjoyed the quote and I think a large part of why my confidence is low is that I don't feel like I am training that hard. I run, take it easy, enjoy myself. No character building going on with me, just having fun.

Kevin

BeeRunB

I understand your doubts and mini-freak,  Kevin. I can remember being wicked nervous for my first half marathon--it just seemed so long to go. I didn't know if I would make it, crash, even die! It seemed like a huge leap. For a week, I wasn't sleeping well, had all sorts of weird things going on in my body---it was nuts. But I finished, and did just fine. One of the great events of my life.

Over the years, after  at least 3 hit-the -wall experiences and subsequent death marches, I no longer fear them. In fact, next time I crash as badly as I did at Seattle 2008, I will drop from the race and not put my body through a ten mile death march again--it doesn't matter. I have NOTHING to prove, just everything to EXPERIENCE. You are going to go have a unique experience, whether you PR, just finish, or drop-out---and it will be something you will look back on as part of your life---and hopefully you'll see just how freaking adventurous you were to attempt a 30k!

I think you need to view this (2 minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mf3Bypyk8

You will have no problem finishing 30k on your fitness. If you are using McMillan Calculator, start a bit slower than the pace it gives you. Those times are for supreme aerobic fitness under good conditions. Check with Team Oregon Pace Wizard, see what it gives you. Keep up your aerobic work.

Keep going, Kevin! You are living!

--Jimmy Cool

Thanks Jimmy,  that will help and at least I will be smiling on the start line now.

Kevin

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I understand your doubts and mini-freak,  Kevin. I can remember being wicked nervous for my first half marathon--it just seemed so long to go. I didn't know if I would make it, crash, even die! It seemed like a huge leap. For a week, I wasn't sleeping well, had all sorts of weird things going on in my body---it was nuts. But I finished, and did just fine. One of the great events of my life.

Over the years, after  at least 3 hit-the -wall experiences and subsequent death marches, I no longer fear them. In fact, next time I crash as badly as I did at Seattle 2008, I will drop from the race and not put my body through a ten mile death march again--it doesn't matter. I have NOTHING to prove, just everything to EXPERIENCE. You are going to go have a unique experience, whether you PR, just finish, or drop-out---and it will be something you will look back on as part of your life---and hopefully you'll see just how freaking adventurous you were to attempt a 30k!

I think you need to view this (2 minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mf3Bypyk8

You will have no problem finishing 30k on your fitness. If you are using McMillan Calculator, start a bit slower than the pace it gives you. Those times are for supreme aerobic fitness under good conditions. Check with Team Oregon Pace Wizard, see what it gives you. Keep up your aerobic work.

Keep going, Kevin! You are living!

--Jimmy Cool

+1 Team Oregon

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Thanks Jimmy,  that will help and at least I will be smiling on the start line now.

Kevin

You're welcome. Expect a full report!

--JimmyCool

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+1 on Team Oregon

Kevin - look at this way. Let your goal be to finish no matter how long it takes, and remember no matter what the time its a PB since its your first at this distance. I had a rough time at last weeks half once overactive bladder clobbered chance for a PB on a mostly downhill course. I started to try and make up the time then realized, as Jimmyb put - I had nothing to PROVE so slowed down, walked and talked to those nearby to get their back of the pack stories until rested enough to make a decent sprint to the finish. Enjoy the experience and knowing how much faster you are than the couch potatoes using that magic clicker to change channels!

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

+1 on Team Oregon

Kevin - look at this way. Let your goal be to finish no matter how long it takes, and remember no matter what the time its a PB since its your first at this distance. I had a rough time at last weeks half once overactive bladder clobbered chance for a PB on a mostly downhill course. I started to try and make up the time then realized, as Jimmyb put - I had nothing to PROVE so slowed down, walked and talked to those nearby to get their back of the pack stories until rested enough to make a decent sprint to the finish. Enjoy the experience and knowing how much faster you are than the couch potatoes using that magic clicker to change channels!

+ 1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Good point, it will be a PB no matter what I do.

Kevin

Shondek

Good point, it will be a PB no matter what I do.

Kevin

Remember Kevin dont do too good a time you want to make it easy to break your pb the following yearSmile