Low HR Training

Low HR training & diet (Read 966 times)

RER

Apples are a little less harsh on the blood sugar, especially when eaten after a meal. Actually, the last thing I eat everyday is an organic apple. I was having problems with reflux and irritated esophagus, and just by eating apples with lunch and after the last meal, and switching to black, organic coffee--it is gone. No reflux, no irritation. I eat the apple in its entirety (except the stem and sticker). I drink the coffee completely like the beanpire that I am. --Jimmy
    Interesting. One of the largest group of prescription and OTC drugs are for reflux, and it's one of the easiest things to treat conservatively (typically like what Jimmy did - figure it out). Apples are a great blood sugar remedy, in part because of their high fiber (pectin). Organic coffee is my cup of tea too. I get it from a small-batch roaster, light roast (which has more caffeine) done to order. Once in a while I put heavy cream in it, but black is the real thing.
    Shiksa

Do you have any book recommendations for this sort of thing? The Eating for Endurance book is currently out of my price range. Good nutrition is no new thing to me. When to eat which foods for performanceis though. I'm currently following no carbs, and many times no food, 3 hours prior to a run.

Stacy
      I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

RER

Do you have any book recommendations for this sort of thing? The Eating for Endurance book is currently out of my price range. Good nutrition is no new thing to me. When to eat which foods for performanceis though. I'm currently following no carbs, and many times no food, 3 hours prior to a run.
        I recall Maffetone's Eating book is real inexpensive, like $10? But there is a lot of stuff on his website (www.philmaffetone.com) that is free and more up to date. Like I said to start this thread, eat good/natural food as a start, including getting rid of the refined carbs. Sounds like you've done that. Then use what makes you feel good AND run well as a guide.
        Shiksa

Oops! $10 isn't out of my price range. I thought it was an out of print book that was going for $40-$60 right now. I'll start with the website, and go from there.

Stacy
          I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

RER

Oops! $10 isn't out of my price range. I thought it was an out of print book that was going for $40-$60 right now. I'll start with the website, and go from there.
            I just got Training and Eating for one of my son-in-laws through First Organics (www.firstorganics.net) and they had like a 2 for 1 deal.
              Does anyone have any opinions on: Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Monique Ryan or Endurance Sports Nutrition by Suzanne Girard Eberle ???
                Is anyone else starving either during or immediately after a run? I think the hardest part of switching to Maff Training is the not eating 3 hours prior to running. Here's a sample of what I have been eating on a normal basis: 5AM - Egg whites, oatmeal, toast 8AM - Protein shake, Almonds 11AM - Run And then eat lunch anywhere from 1-2. I'm having a hard time balancing the few meals a day with no eating prior to 3 hours before a run. Minus the hunger, my Maff Tests have gone down about 3 minutes per mile so I guess I shouldn't complain about the hunger. Smile
                  Is anyone else starving either during or immediately after a run? I think the hardest part of switching to Maff Training is the not eating 3 hours prior to running. Here's a sample of what I have been eating on a normal basis: 5AM - Egg whites, oatmeal, toast 8AM - Protein shake, Almonds 11AM - Run And then eat lunch anywhere from 1-2. I'm having a hard time balancing the few meals a day with no eating prior to 3 hours before a run. Minus the hunger, my Maff Tests have gone down about 3 minutes per mile so I guess I shouldn't complain about the hunger. Smile
                  3 hours isn't set in stone. 3 hours for a big meal...2 hours for a small meal, etc. 1 hour if I have had a low glycemic snack. (ie. bell peppers, tomatoes, etc) During the week days, I run before work...right out of bed. I haven't eaten for at least 8/9/10 hours. My typical run is 7 to 14 miles. Usually 8 to 9. Yes, I feel hungry during some runs. However, I typically feel more hungry 2 hours after the run, even when I take in probably 900+ calories for breakfast. My body is in "crave" mode, and I use cottage cheese, almonds, anything with moderate protein to get me through to lunch. And lunch....protein. Chili is my staple. Lean beef, chicken, beans.... It's hard to run so much, eat "healthy" and get the nutrition we need. With that said, eating poorly (which is ME the last few months) can add up to gaining weight even when running 50+ miles per week. Ugh...I have to run...I say we start a nutrition thread for us "low HR" trainers. I think I'm going to sign up for a 12 hour race on July 4th. I'm nuts. Smile