Masters Running

Thursday, Oct. 6 runs and workouts... (Read 516 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Geez, I just read the rest of yesterday's thread and I am wondering if I can have ice cream for breakfast!? No, no, no!!! Out for three on dead legs this morning. Last night I helped DH with wood, up and down the hill and I think that had some lasting effects. After my run, I did my 30 minute stability ball workout. The ab section had my muscles quivering. Ahhhhh......

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

New skirt in town

MMMmmmm....ice cream for breakfast!!

My training program for today states:  "Important day, 10 days out from race.  Last day to gain significant fitness!" A tempo run was scheduled for today, which makes sense because lactate threshold is one of the endurance parameters that actually can show shorter term improvments.  So, a tempo run I did!  It was 41 degrees out, so I wore a long sleeved tee shirt for the 1st time this year.  It felt absolutely delicious!

7.57 miles in 1:03:09 (avg pace 8:20).  5 of these miles were at tempo pace, and it felt great!

Now, the one area in which I am veering astray from my training program is that I am running the BAA Half Marathon this Sunday, 1 week out from my marathon.  My plan is to simply use this as a supported long run.  It is, perhaps, longer than I should be running 1 week out from my marathon, but I registered for this race months ago, before I was sure that I could actually run a fall marathon. It's a lovely race, and I hate to "waste" the bib number.  It is one of those races that sells out in a day, so I feel lucky to have scored a bib.

My plan is to take it nice and slowly and enjoy the day and the route.  It runs right through Boston's "Emerald Necklace" and the day is predicted to be gorgeous.  I will walk through every water station, and maybe allow myself a few marathon-paced miles only in the last 3-4 miles. 

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Dave59

"Supposed" to be a day at the gym for weights and elliptical, but I don't feel like it. Joking  Tuesday's gym workout which included some lunges, followed by Wednesday's speed work, and then raking the yard with the "help" of 3-year old last night has left me with no workout desire.

I rake onto a big tarp, then haul the leaves out into the woods behind my house.   Annabelle (the 3-year old) thought it was fun to jump on the tarp every time I moved it.  It about ripped my arms out of their sockets the first couple times until I knew to expect it.

So other than sitting here at the computer all day long, my only plan is to mow the back yard before it gets covered back up with leaves.  I was only able to get the front done yesterday.  Probably do that at lunch.  Is that a MAL (mow at lunch)?

Sunny and 75 today.  I have spring fever in October.  I need some cheer leaders to get me going today:

"Write that code"

"Go to that meeting"

"Answer the phone"

"We are number 1"

"Shish Boom Bah"

Big grin

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!

I think that cheer needs a little work, Dave.  I can just see that little Annabelle jumping in those leaves and hitching a ride--makes me smile--I hope your arms recover.

Ice cream for breakfast?  I could have ice cream for every meal of the day--every day.  That's why I don't eat ice cream, anymore.  Someday, though, I'm going to fall of the wagon and then watch out! 

Good luck in both your races Robin!  I'm sure you'll do great.

My run last night went pretty good...maybe a little faster than I should have gone.  My plan was to take it easy for 5 miles, step it up for 2, and then back it off for the last 3.  And that's basically what I did.  At around 4 1/2 miles, though, a kid on roller blades turned in front of me a couple blocks up the road and started taunting me to race him.  Well, he didn't actually "taunt" me, but he kept turning to look at me and kept speeding up when he saw me.  Well, I guess it was just a couple of times that he looked back at me...and I'm not really sure if he sped up...but, he was on my course, dang-it, so I had to catch him.  And once I caught him, I had to stay in front of him.  So I ran my 5th mile a little faster than an "easy" pace.  But mile 6 was at 6:40 and mile 7 was at 6:55 anf then I just coasted on in.  10.2 miles in 1:13:00.  I'll take it real easy on Friday's run.  Oh--and then my DW and I took one of the grandkids bowling.  We had a good time.

Okay--I really have to get to work.

Slo

Ice Cream is perfect for breakfast.

Mike...It seems like I'm always in race mode. Last night on my run I did the same thing. Just had to run the guy down...don't know why and I couldn't hold myself back.

I wonder if this is any indication of how my week has been. I was getting ready to head out to the plant. Hard Hats are required. I slipped on my safety glass pick up my bike helment, secured the chin strap and proceeded down the hallway. An approaching co-worker commented..."Rode your bike today"...Thought that was strange. I ride my bike almost everyday. Out of habit I checked the mirror on my helment to scan the traffic behind me...cause that's what I do when I where my bike helment...Then it hit me...I don't have a mirror on my hard hat !

...YAY dave//........Do That, er, whatever the hell it is you Do...........

=======

........22min RCNG

talked to a buddy yesterday,

in

2014 we will have both been working-out for FIFTY years,

w0w

I started

weight-training in 1964,

added CooperPointSystem Running-In-Place in 1965,

and Jogging in 1969

What A Trip//////

...............good running guys.......................Pick Something and Try It for The Rest of Your Life.......

do

n0t

say ''nose''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

I want a 3 year old to help me rake my leaves, lucky dave59.

Speeking of kids...little Noah stole my heart last night. Great picture, tag!

Robin, what kind of training plan are you following? Great tempo miles today sistahh! It is fun to see you training for a fall marathon, you  normally do a spring marathon only, right?

Ice cream for breakfast? why not, life if tooo darn short to not have what you want for breakfast Clown.

Last night I came home form work and I found the Easy Pacer ready to join me for a run! I still smile big every time we go out together.

Up early to clean my stove before I went out for a minimalist tempo run. 30 minutes slow, 30 minutes at tempo. How is that for a non scientific approach to running?Joking. Tonight is gym hot date night..

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

HermosaBoy

My run last night went pretty good...maybe a little faster than I should have gone. 

I am shocked...   Surprised

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I didn't get up this morning until I absolutely had to.  Black eye

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Good thing Robin, Mike and Mariposai are keeping the mojo going with their great runs. The rest of you sound like you could use a little, um, encouragement.

Nice run, Robin! I think a HM done smartly is a perfect race a week out from a marathon. Do a nice warm up, then run a few MP miles and then if you feel good, try for a fast finish. I think it sounds like a perfect sharpening tool. You've got all of next week to taper.

I love ice cream, but it doesn't love me. Haven't really been able to eat it for years and I'm ok with that. A taste here and there is all I get. No lattes for me, either.

Nancy, that's how I do my "scientific" approach to running. Look at yesterday. After Tuesday's hilly trail run, I was thinking a nice easy flat 5 miler would be good. So what did I do? A progressively faster 6 miler with the last three at tempo pace. Heh. Oh well. I'll try easy today.

Tomwhite, I couldn't help but think of what I was doing in 1964. Oh yeah, kindergarten. Big grin

Another nice day here, just a few clouds, brilliant pink and orange sunrise a little bit ago, temps around 32° or so, should warm up to low 40's. I'm just loving this weather; every day without snow or rain is like a gift at this time of year. We're at 10:46 of daylight today, which is sunrise to sunset, but we have long twilights on either end. October can be cold and slushy/sloppy/snowy or crisp and dry like now. So far, it's been a really perfect fall around here!

Renee the dog

4 mi walk today on TM.  (yawn)

Dive, yeah, prepping 2 houses for the storm that we knew wouldn't affect us was a bit of a wear.  The eye was 10 miles out, and we got no damage.  We knew it. But we did leave Friday night and went to my sister's place where I knew it would be worse.  It was.  The only reason we left is they were predicting a new high tide record of 1 to 4 ft.  Naturally, that sounded so ridiculous as to question the sanity of the folks issuing the warning.  But then, we thought, what if they are right? ( If we had a place to park the cars, we would have likely stayed.)  As it was, there was no new high tide mark at all.  It was like any other storm or hurricane.  And much less damage than almost any of our Nor'easters. 

I'm certainly not an expert but it seems like since the southern storms draw down water from the north, the hurricanes that get near us get a natural braking effect from the cooler water.  Now a Nor'easter, well, that'd doing the exact opposite: dragging up warm water into our area, on which it then feeds.  And they seem to really get frothy or even worse -- stall over us.  And I'm not saying what I observe goes for the whole area, or anyone inland.  Just our little patch of sand...

The real issues thought were:

I had a devil of a time with my feet over the summer.  I think I had 20 blisters total, which is 20 more than I usually have in a summer. It was frustrating!  Also, my schedule was a magnet for general mayhem.  I think 50% of my intended long runs were interrupted by or ditched because of urgent family issues. It got rather demoralizing.  On the upside Mr. Nono got laid off July 15, so he was around for the second half of the summer, which is probably why I'm mostly back on track now.  We did a whole lot of things on the "honey-do" list as well as enjoyed a whole lot of ocean time.Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mike E

MM #5615

Slo--that's hilarious!

1964--that was 1st grade for me--and I really don't remember a time when I didn't exercise.  Even back then, I remember doing pushups in the living room, trying to impress my dad at how many I could do...while he laid on the couch and watched TV. 

It's been in the 80's here all week, Erika.  We're going to enjoy it for as long as we can.

Leslie--I never get out of bed until I absolutely have to.

Rob--I'm trying, man--I really am.  I start out slow--then I feel sloppy.  I work on my form--then I speed up.  I slow it down--then I get sloppy.  I work on my form--then I speed up.  I repeat this for an hour or so.

Umm...nose!  Uh, oh--what have I done?

Mike E

MM #5615

On the upside Mr. Nono got laid off July 15

That's the "upside"?!  You really did have a tough summer!

...hhhmmmm//.......suddenly I have an Urge to Dodder.....

followed by Puttering.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, I just received an e-mail about a Haunted Trail Adventure race that you can do solo or as a team of 2.    I want to do it so bad, but I think I might be delivering puppies that night!  Sad      Looks like that take registration up until noon the day of though.    Keeping fingers crossed!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com