Masters Running

City - Pier - City Half Marathon Report (Read 313 times)

jules2

A very disappointing event, let me just highlight the major points, My bag went missing so I had to replace all my kit ( very expensive ) only for it to turn up just before the cross country race on Wednesday. The first hotel room had no water. The second hotel room had no water. There were gales which rattled the scaffolding ( did I mention the builders were working on the hotel? ) all one night. My right thigh was sore before the cross country race and 10km over sand dunes didn't improve it. Had the half been in the UK I would have scratched but I was entered in a Dutch team as their guest so I had to race. So I dosed up on Ibrufen, got my darling wife the rub a carton of Deep Heat into my thigh and went for it. My leg was stiff and it was crowded for the first mile or so but as I got to around 8 miles the leg really started hurting. But I worked on the theory I had to get back to the start so I might as well carry on running as I would get back quickerthan walking. It freed off a bit but then in the last couple of miles it kicked in again and I ended up running with my left leg and swinging my right leg forward. What was really odd was that my heart rate dropped down to my normal medium training pace as I couldn't move my legs quick enough to get my heart beating. Here are my stats as you can see I got slower and slower. Startnummer 2928 Naam Jules2 ! Woonplaats Nederland Afstand Halve marathon trimloop Categorie M/V Totaal plaats 764 / 5765 Categorie plaats 764 Snelheid 12,490 km/uur 5 kilometer 22:43 (22:43) 10 kilometer 46:07 (23:24) 15 kilometer 1:10:27 (24:20) 20 kilometer 1:35:53 (25:26) Bruto tijd 1:42:45 Netto tijd 1:41:21 The team didn't put me in the correct age group so I don't appear in the 55 - 60 age group but I would have come 33rd out of 980. The only concilation is that the winner ( 1.08.00 ) said he was slowed down by the wind on the seafront, by the time time I got there the wind was the least of my troubles. The course / world record is I think 58.35. Finally the plane was two and a half hours late on the way back. Next year I'm going back and giving that course a serious kicking as its the world record course and ideal for a PB. So now all I have to do is recover and aim for the "Dog and Hedgehog" on the 11 May.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

jules2

Just realised I forgot to mention the fire alarm going off twice one night, the Dutch fireman were very quick getting to the hotel. Luckily I always wear PJ's when staying in hotels.

Dutchie42

Sorry to hear it was such a bad experience. But the weather is often bad this time of year. Maybe next year I'll join you Wink

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Oh dear...I am sorry this was a tough experience all the way through. The wind seems to be howling a great deal at races everywhere these days and it does make a significant difference. I'll say good running nonetheless for perseverance through sleep deprivation, Mother Nature's fury, stiff legs and flight delays. You placed well (in your real age group in particular) and ran strong. Thanks for the report and the "Dog and the Hedgehog" race sounds quite interesting...can't wait for those details! CNYrunner
          SteveP

Oh my gosh!!!! My pre race nightmares are not as tough as your reality. Yet you finished!!! Thanks for sharing

SteveP

Good run, despite the difficulties. Hope things go better next time.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Wow, you had a tough experience, jules. Look at it this way, you'll be able to tell better stories, for longer, than if it had been a normal race without complications. Congrats on toughing it out. TomS
                  Congrats on toughing it out. Hope there are no lingering problems with your leg. "They" say such conditions are character building. I say give me a drink and a do-over, please. Smile

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

"They" say such conditions are character building. I say give me a drink and a do-over, please. What she said.... What a nightmare! For the late plane part, I highly recommend bringing an Ipod! Smile
                    HermosaBoy

Yikes! That is a "comedy" of errors! Rest well and kick it's arse next year! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Sorry you had such a tough time, Jules, it does not sound like a great experience! On the other hand, you toughed it out and earned a very creditable finishing time under difficult circumstances. Certainly true you could have done much better, but many of us would be delighted to finish at all in that situation, never mind in a time just over 1:40! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

#artbydmcbride

Wow! This is the kind of event you tell tales about for years later. So there was a cross country race midweek and then a half marathon on the weekend? Vert tough! You are a real trooper (and so is your wife!) Smile

Runners run

jules2

Thanks for the messages. What does not kill you makes you stronger. My leg is getting better and I'm seeing the physio tomorrow, there was an error in my posting the winners time was 1:00:08 not 1:08:00 ! My life is usually chaotic so I get used to diasters its my wife I feel sorry for. The "Dog & Hedgehog" is sponsored by a pub and every year you get a neat T shirt. One day a lady came up to me and said it was really nice that I ran on behalf of animals. At first I couldn't understand what she was going on about and then it dawned on me that she thought the Dog and Hedgehog was an animal sanctuary. Good luck to anyone racing this Easter.

Jules, you sure had a wretched time between the travel, the lodgings, your body, and the race. But you definitely have a lot of guts. I'm glad you finished so now you can tell this tale to sympathetic ladies at a pub Wink. Please take care of yourself and hope things go better for you at your next race.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Jules... I'd really be laughing if it wasn't so true! What an experience! Aren't these more fun to talk about than "I ran in perfect conditions and had a PB..". Rest up and heal up, you are one tough guy! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova