Masters Running

Moving on to Wednesday, the 10/5 daily (Read 458 times)

Mariposai

No running here, but just a relaxing morning doing this and that around the house.

My arms are sore from last night's gym workout. I need to visit that place more often again.

Raining and cold here and I still have 2 hummingbird who have not left for down south yet! What to do! I know they will not make it over the mountain passes if they don't leave right now!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  Thanks for getting us going, Mariposai!  I hope those hummingbirds figure it out, soon.

So, today is my second to the youngest son’s birthday.  He is now 21 years old.  Wow.  When my wife and I got married and we moved her three kids in with my three kids, I told her that I really did not want another one.  But, after a couple of years of begging and pleading, she wore me down and we had Ryan…and I’ve never been sorry for giving in.

Ryan is a perfect example that you should never “judge a book by its cover”.  With his dreadlocks and his scruffy beard thing, and the way that he dresses, you’d think he was the city drug dealer.  But Ryan is the most gentle man I have ever known.  He has a deep faith in Jesus and shares that faith as a Christian camp councilor during the summers.  He is very polite and when he talks to you, you can tell that he really cares about what you have to say.

Ryan loves sports.  As a kid he played hockey, football, soccer, baseball, and his favorite—basketball—he was sure that he was going to be a professional basketball player when he grew up.  He was pretty good at all of those sports, but he realized that there were a whole lot of other kids that were a whole lot better than him.  And then there was this running thing.  Ryan has been running cross country and track since 6th grade and has just flourished as a runner and as a person during that time.  And, as proud as I am of his accomplishments in running, it’s really that person that he has become that I am the most proud of.

Anyway—he’s 21 today.

Here's a picture of his high school graduation cake.  I included it because it happens to have a picture of him on it from when he was a real little guy...

I used to drag him around to races with me.  He's the kid with the "bowl cut"

Here he is as a 9th grader after beating me for the first time...

Okay--that's it--I'll leave you alone, now...you all know what he looks like, today...

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Fly little Hummingbirds, Fly!!

I scrubbed the kitchen clean last night and threw away all the expired cans so now my cupboards look like Mother Hubbard's house.    After that chore, my neighbor came over with a bottle of wine and two bags of 100 calorie kettle corn.   So we popped it and had a nice visit.   Her husband is working nights all this week and she does not like being home alone.    This morning Brinkley and I were out for 5 recovery miles after yesterday's intervals.    My abs are still so sore from Monday's workout - I sneezed yesterday and about came outta my chair!!     This morning I had my teeth cleaned before work and picked up my new reading glasses.    Pretty productive day so far!!  Big grin

Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

Hi folks!  Long time no "see." 

I managed 6 miles this morning! Smile

Didn't mean to disappear from the Daily, but life since May has been at a pace I just couldn't quite keep.  A few habits got dropped while I was trying to catch the bus of my life that was always about 1/2 block ahead. 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

HermosaBoy

Happy birthday to Ryan!  In my limited interactions with him, he has been exactly as you describe him Mike.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Dave59

Happy birthday to Ryan.  That haircut in the second picture is cruel (the bowl cut). Wink 

Missed a couple days.  Ran Monday, gym on Tuesday.  And today was a great run because:

1. The weather was perfect, 50° & sunny.

2. Tried my first Garmin programmed workout with a warm-up, 8x2 minutes at 5k effort, and a cool down.  It was great not to have to ever look at the watch.

3. The run felt great.  No aches or pains.  Last interval was the fastest. 

4. On Sunday I bought a Keurig k-cup coffee maker, so within seconds of walking in the door I had a hot, fresh brewed cup of Kona blend coffee.

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Birthday to Ryan!  Sounds like a great kid, and Mike, you sound like a great dad.  Hey, did you call your son in Alaska yet? 

Hi Nono!  Welcome back!

4 sproinky trail miles last night, 9:30 avg pace.  I took Monday off from running because when I changed into running clothes after work, I found I had brought two mismatched running shoes - both for the left foot.  Duh.  Black eye  (It was dark in the morning when I packed my stuff.)  So I went to the local running store instead and picked up my free new pair of Mizunos - I got the Wave Ronin 3.

Our hummingbirds are long gone.  I'm surprised we actually made it all the way through September with no snow.  But it's supposed to snow by this weekend in the mountains.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hey there nonoruns! The bus of life analogy is right on. Sometimes it comes barreling around the corner and the brakes haven't been serviced in a long while.

HBD to your son MikeE---great photos and story too. Never judge a book by its cover!

I just caught up wth some of the threads from the past days and will add my deep respect and hugs to all who were so open about struggles right close by or that you are witnessing with co-workers and friends. Depression/suicide is woven into my family's story as well and I work hard each day to keep moving forward.

Great advice for you OM and there will be more and other marathons if this one needs to wait. Being and feeling like you again is a priority.

I am feeling a bit burned out from all the training even after Sunday's kick-in the pants race. I am running, but mostly just easy this week and enjoying that strange yellow disk in the sky---haven't seen it for so long, I had to look it up in the dictionary----the kiddo's x-c meet yesterday was a rainbath mud festival but his team won (girls too) so that was cool. Ran 6.6 miles this morning and then took supergranny to get bloodwork done. Now it's report writing and then a run this afternoon again---or maybe just a walk with Hudson.

Lamerunner, hope your son is feeling better! Hope the cold moves out fast Tramps!

I'll close on a hopeful note---Dr. J was able to move her left arm yesterday and also wiggle her left foot. That's huge progress and an indicator that the brain swelling is just about gone. She has a discharge date of October 25 and will be able to come home and continue therapy as an outpatient. Canada J and I are going in to see her tomorrow afternoon and if the weather holds, we'll be able to get her outside in her wheelchair. She is so upbeat and focused.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Great news about Dr J!

Welcome back nono!

Dave, I love my Keurig machine, such freedom with it, enjoy!

My body is telling me I should take a day off from running today, so for once I'm listening to it. I have some library books to return (1.6 miles away) and PT this afternoon (3.7 miles in the opposite direction), so I've got my walking routes planned out as my crosstraining. I'm trying out a new pair of the shoes I'll be wearing for the Avon Walk that's coming up the weekend after next.

The plan is also to go to yoga class later tonight. So I guess I better get a move on it!

Have a great day, all!

MTA: Happy 21st birthday to Ryan! Smile

coastwalker

Happy Birthday, Ryan!

I'm so pleased to know that Dr. J is making good progress and has a release date.

No workout this morning - too tired, and too much to do: My car is in the shop with transmission problems (do we repair it or replace it - it's 5 years old?), and I had to get a tire from DW's car with a nail in it repaired. We're in the process of buying a building for our business, and may be closing by the end of next week. I just hired a person for a non-profit I help run, and will have to start bringing her along. I'm getting shirts and medals screened/produced for 2 upcoming road races. And we're leaving for a huge family reunion (DW's side) where we expect about 100 relatives to be partying. Since I do the annual family newsletter for DW's family (how'd that happen?), I'll be taking notes and pics all weekend. I'll need my workouts to keep my sanity (even though we all know there is no sanity clause...).

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

O Henry, in his amusing short story, "The Ransom of Red Chief" coined the word "philoprogenitiveness" which you Greek or Latin scholars should be able to translate easily enough, but for everyone else, it means the love that a parent has for his offspring, and Mike's tribute to his fine son is a great example.  To love your sons and daughters is the most glorious of all the passions.  I'm sure Ryan will continue to grow to be a fine, upstanding adult.  Happy birthday to him.  Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy 21st to Ryan!   

Do you remember what you did on your 21st birthday?   

OM - good job listening to your body.   When is your appointment with the surgeon.

New shoes - nice Wildchild!!

5 years doesn't seem that old for a car Jay.   But then, we drive them until they die around our house.  

So good to hear that Dr J has a release date and that she is experiencing movement!   That is a happy report today!!   Karin, you deserve a little rest from all your running. 

Tammy, in answer to your question yesterday .... yes they do experience some morning sickness early on.    Cravings?   I think popcorn.  Wink

Hi NoNo!!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

dg.

good morning!    a quick post to keep my toes in...

hi Nono!!  

I'll echo Karin's words (because she phrased it so beautifully) regarding the posts of a couple of days ago.   I feel privileged to be a part of this group.     Abundant hugs.

hi Jeanne!

TomS....   congrats to Sandy!   did she like the marathon?   It was my favorite, even though I could barely walk when I was finished!  :-).    Please be careful with your hamstrings... you know that already, but it's always good to be nagged a little... at least for this kind of thing.

Karin that is wonderful news about Dr. J. 

Get well soon Tramps!   I have a little something too, a sinus infection I think, but maybe a cold too.  But the weather is too good to be sick.

Skip your post made me happy.   Smile

Jay, phew!  

so much more to comment on ... oh, I know.   happy birthday Ryan!   Mike I was going to ask this morning if you were working, but that was such a beautiful post I'll let it slide for now.

Nancy thanks for the comment about catching up.  You're right.  It's hard enough to keep up.  

like my quick post?

:-).   So the star thing... it was really great.   There were probably 7 telescopes, including a 24" Dobsonian. (no, I do not know what that means).   Saw beautiful awe inspirig things.   Was up till 3 a.m.      One guy was listening to a baseball game, which I really wasn't crazy about, silence seemed perfect.    A little later he switched to music, including Zappa.   well.   There were at least 3 of us who knew all the words, so at 2 in the morning out there in the middle of nowhere we were all laughing and sharing our favorite lines.  Smile    I really could use a replacement for Camarillo Brillo as an ear worm. any suggestions?

4.28 miles this morning, with 3.26 'tempo'... for me that was an 8:56 pace.  Yesterday was 6 miles, 2 tiny speed chunks and some hills.  

better go now!

Happy Birthday to Ryan.  And a beautiful tribute, indeed.  Thank you for sharing, Mike.

Wonderful news about Dr. J!

I'm exhausted reading Coastwalker's post.

Nono!!

45 min of core/strength training this a.m., followed by 30 min of stationary cycling, all whilst watching "Law & Order: Criminal Intent."

The weather here is nasty!  Raining cats, dogs, and squirrels!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

The weather here is nasty!  Raining cats, dogs, and squirrels!

Squirrels, too?  That is some nasty weather!

Thanks, everybody, for the birthday wishes and nice comments about my kid.  You're lucky you don't have to listen to my DW talk about him.  She even makes me roll my eyes, sometimes.

Oh, Wild--I knew somebody was going to ask.  No--I haven't called my son in Alaska, yet.  I sat there with the phone in my hand and I just couldn't do it.  Isn't that ridiculous?!  The simple fact that I can't call my own son and talk is reason to call my son to talk.  I'm really struggling with it.  I'll do it--I just have to be in the right mindset.  He's a tough one.  (Yeah--people tell me we're a lot alike)  Keep bugging me about it, though--I'll eventually do it just to get you off my back.