Masters Running

End of October Daily Thread 10/31 (Read 636 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Lots of wild NE stories!  The saddest part is all the tricker treaters that can't go out tonight due to dwoned trees and powerlines and darkness from powe outtages. Mother Nature timed this one well

A SUPER congratulations to Mrs IronWoman (who wears the pants) Tramps.

Roch... I'll be living less than 3 miles from you!

Leslie.. I hope that dog is not on your running route (or you are a good tree climber)

Ribs.. you sure have been racing alot!  Is that so you can write better blogs (like I was there!)?

Wild.. haven't sold the NC house yet... may rent it later on

3 recovery miles this morning

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Timbo,

You'll find your answer here: http://runlonger.blogspot.com/2011/06/race-difficulty-comparisons-of-ultras.html

dove/skip/francesca/et al - how many have you done or planning on?.

I won't be doing any more but did the White River too along with IMH/IMCdA

I'm a little surprised they can compare running ultras to IM events with only a 26 mile run.

No particular reason but are there any photos of what Tramps does wear?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

OrangeMat it is like they say on Broadway, "The party must go on!"  Well, okay, not quite what they say on Broadway but close.  Joking  Glad to hear it all worked out.

enkephalin sure did want to see it!  Now what will the next avatar be?

Writing of power outages, about a quarter of my town is still down.  We got lucky and never lost our power.  Likely because we are a mile from the water and that helped keep the snowfall totals down in our immediate area.  But a few miles north of here they were hammered.  Some towns went to close to 100% blackout.

Last night we had a dinner party.  I did a pumpkin themed dinner and it was a big hit.  The menu had a lot of recipes I hardly ever get a chance to make but love!  So I was pretty happy to make it all.

<gripe alert>I had two "students" come to me today to complain about the comments I wrote on their (joint) first assignment.  Mind you, they got it back weeks ago and just today the second one was due.  It is clear these two have never been told their work is awful, even when it is.  It was so bad I wrote on it something along the lines "You should be embarrassed to have turned this in."  Two separate people graded the reports (me and an assistant) and both of us had this paper as the clear winner of the worst report sweepstakes.  So where they at all embarrassed?  Of course not!  It was our fault for not realizing what a fine job they had done.  No doubt by their standards.  Roll eyes  Those of you working with kids, please help them and eventually me out!  When their stuff is awful, stop giving the self esteem raising kudos!  Tell them it is awful so that they actually consider producing work somebody might someday want to pay them for.  What I got from these two you would have to pay me to employ them!</gripe alert>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tet - On this list, I have only done one (Umstead 100) but there are at least 10 on my dream list.  (Guess my other ultras weren't hard enough to make the cut.  Though there are a lot of tough ones I know of that aren't on the list, e.g. the various Horton races in VA, Virgil Crest in NY)

Dove

The Dovenator

I won't be doing any more but did the White River too along with IMH/IMCdA

I'm a little surprised they can compare running ultras to IM events with only a 26 mile run.

I've done just Javelina and Mt Hood. The fact that Mt. Hood is only slightly easier than White River makes me think White River may be a lot of fun.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

now there's something you don't see everyday

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

OrangeMat

MM #6177

now there's something you don't see everyday

You obviously don't hang out with the right crowds....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I've done just Javelina and Mt Hood. The fact that Mt. Hood is only slightly easier than White River makes me think White River may be a lot of fun.

see you there dove, that's for sure now..

Once you start using the word " fun" with regard to White River, it's too late.

skip - I think we'll be creating our own list after everyone gets done with White River, . . . or visa versa.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Perch - Unfortunately, the dog lives at the head of my road.  I may have to start carrying pepper spray again. Evil

Skip:

Miwok - In the Marin Headlands.  Beautiful vistas of the San Francisco Bay.  On my bucket list.  LOTS of climbing.  From all reports, it's an SOB.

And speaking of SOB - S.O.B. (Siskiyou Out Back) One of those runs with which I have a love/hate relationship.  The altitude kills me, it's tough with lots of climbing, but the views are unbelievably spectacular.  At the top, you expect Julie Andrews to come out singing. The last 3 miles is pretty much all uphill and makes you wonder why you agreed to subject yourself to the torture . . . but I LOVE this run.  And they have really cool shirts.  My absolute favorites.

McKenzie River - Have only done this run once and fell in love with it instantly.  Gorgeous course.  It's become so popular that last year it (last year?) it sold out extremely fast and is now a lottery run.

Forest Park - Put on by Pacific Coast Trail Runs.  Theme "Runs That Aren't Races in Beautiful Places."  Forest Park was my first 50k and it took me almost the entire 9 hrs. (my report).  I haven't had a chance to get back since 2008, but really want to.  PCTR has some of the best aid stations I've ever encountered for a trail run.  Very low key, and at the finish you get a handy dandy finisher's coaster that has the run's theme on it.

I don't know if I'm more interested in White River or Mt. Hood PCT . . . . .

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Great to see you pop in, Econo!

5 miles dashing around trick-or-treaters.  Am I the only one who feels morally superior buring off calories instead of eating them on Halloween?  That's right.  I'm a running snob.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Maniac 505

So much to catch up on! I read this forum most days, time just seems to make it hard to keep up. So glad to hear the Ben news! For that lack of motivation thing that so many have referred to, I can understand. I think I need to commit to a race, then maybe I could force myself to be more consistent I hope all the northeasterners recover quickly from the latest storms. I was a bit worried since I had to fly to Maryland Sunday. It turned out to not be an issue st all. Easy 1.5 hour drive after the flight last night. frost on the grass this morning, bu beautiful afternoon I an here,.on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake bay, east of Annapolis for a one week haz mat technician class. 8 hours a day of classes and it looks like there will be about 4 hours a night homework. 5 mile run after class today. Beautiful area, lots of huge mansions on huge estates, the schooll itself was once a plantation. Off to bed now I will try to be better about posting in the future. Dave

Maniac 505

And regarding the above sorry from my phone and the paragraph breaks did not work
                          wildchild

Carolyn

Okay, I rarely actually "LOL" but I did when I read this.  Thanks, Tet!

I have no idea how to double post quotes, but Opie, I had to LOL at this, too:

"5 miles dashing around trick-or-treaters.  Am I the only one who feels morally superior buring off calories instead of eating them on Halloween?  That's right.  I'm a running snob."

No trick-or-treaters here, because I live in the middle of nowhere.  But I kind of wish we had some.  And not because I could eat all the candy I didn't give out!  (I seem to be losing weight and could use some candy.)  I miss the days of making my DD costumes. Sad

Hi Dive!  Hi Dove! Hi Econo!  Hi Rosie!  Good to see you guys.

5 trail miles after work. Damn, it gets dark early/  And after Sunday, even earlier.

All you guys talking about ultras makes me want to do one.  And I've never even done a marathon.  You guys are a bad influence. Thanks.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM #7877

I have had 2 bad months. Gallstones first. Then I developed terrible PF.  But after reducing milage and go back to an older pair of shoes, I have been getting better. Today I ran my best 7 miles I've ran in 3 months.

Philippians 4:13.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I think I need to commit to a race, then maybe I could force myself to be more consistent

Dave - welcome back.

Seattle Marathon is looking kind of lonely this year,,

to say nothing of the United We Run NYC Sister Marathon (11/5)

and First  Call Marathon/50K (11/12).

DBG too.

pa - wildchild:  just click on the "quote" box above Opie's post and there'll be a box of it in your reply space.  Delete whatever is extraneous to your reply comment..  Type your reply below and outside of the box..

pps - not supposed to change what you use of what the other person posted though, . . .

. . . at least not too much.