Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 01/08/2012 (Read 411 times)

jfa

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. ~ Maria Robinson

Happy New  Year everyone!

Let's hope the Mayans are wrong!!

Up in Connecticut w friends and family for the holiday. Front ended the beginning of the week last week for 37 miles. That's a big week for me lately. I'm feeling pretty zippy for Florida, and it's not supposed to snow this year!!

Enjoy!

Thanks for getting us started, Joe.  It's not suppose to snow in Florida?  Glad your feeling zippy!

Rest day, although I'm suppose to do 15 min of core, which I will do later.  Right now I"m looking out my kitchen window at a very dark sky.  I should probably mow, but ye ole crystal ball says it ain't gonna happen. Black eye  Off to figure out some breakfast.

Later -

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

As in mow the lawn? In January?

Yep, It snowed for last year's Disney marathon.

Thanks for the graciousness Ev. I would be hard pressed to match it were our fandome roles reversed. It's been a hard year to predict except for the Packers. We have our pass rushers back and a really speedy first year undrafted free agent receiver in Victor Cruz. He's already broken almost all of the Giants single season receiving records. So, we'll see....

Nice 10k tonight @ 8:47's in clear sky's and 34*.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yep, It snowed for last year's Disney marathon.

Just checked the forecast: high of 77F and an overnight low of 55F for Sunday. Saturday shows a high of 74F and a low of 52F. Looks like running skirt weather to me! Smile

OK, back to doing my laundry....

Yep, mowing in January.  Grass grows like crazy here in the winter.

If I wore a skirt OR shorts right now, I'd be blinding people.

Well, I didn't do any core work, but I spent the last 4+ hours cleaning up our CD collection.  I figure crawling all over the floor and getting up and down a hundred times counts as a core workout (it's not a lie if I believe it!).  Anyway, counting all the CDs here in the house, then thinking about what I have at work and in my car, I figure we have somewhere around 700 CDs.  Everything from ABBA to AC/DC, Mozart to Neil Young and Trisha Yearwood.  Judas Priest (Shorty's) sits directly above The Judds (mine). Smile

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey, Folks -

It's getting late and this is my first time to get in here all day, so I'm gonna be rude and throw out some "atta girls" and "atta boys," 'cause I perused and everyone seems to be percolating right along.

Speaking of cold weather, this past weekend I ordered myself a couple of pairs of these.  I have a headband I wear under my running cap, but my head gets hot, and all I really need is ear protection.

Got in 30 min of stationary cycling and 1.20 hrs of core/strength this morning, then went to my ortho appointment for a follow up re the foot and looksee at my knee. He mashed around on the foot and didn't seem concerned about it anymore.  Twisted my leg every which way he could, tried moving the kneecap (which is a slightly nauseating sensation).  Doesn't think it's anything major (i.e. nothing's torn), but he wants me to stop doing squats and lunges, so I'll have to work on some alternatives.  I have a couple of things in mind, but he said the main things are even pressure and nothing beyond the 90-degree angle.  One of the things he said would be great for leg strength, balance, and core is to pump up my stability ball a little past where it's suppose to be, get in a door frame, and stand on top of it.  Me: "With layers of foam mats around, right?"  Him: "Wear a crash helmet."

We're getting down to the home stretch re Shorty being in jail.  He gets out sometime between the 12th and 16th.  Yea!!

Okay - I need to take a shower and hit the hay.  Later, gang ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hope everyone had a nice holiday. Now, let's get back to work. I have a couple of holiday lbs to shed - happens every year, but it also seems harder to get rid of every year! 

Leslie - if he said not to go past 90 degrees, can you do partial squats? How about hill bounding? Standing on a stability ball sounds scary! Are you ready for having someone else in the house with you? I can imagine that it would be both wonderful and irritating! Smile

Easy miles this week to have rested legs for Goofy. And tomorrow it's back to work for "duty day", essentially a day-long pep talk from admin Sleepy

Ex runner

Arla - It's going to be weird having someone else in the house, and I've made sure he understands that (i.e., tread lightly, dude).  Although, he can cook for me! Big grin

Re the squats - I was wondering about not going past the 90-degree angle, but I think for me, I'm just going to eliminate the possibility entirely.  Some of my PT work from a few years ago to strengthen the area around my knees is coming back to my brain, so I'll throw those exercises in instead.

Re standing on the stability ball - I think I'll wait 'til Shorty's home so he can be my spotter!

When do you all leave for Goofy???

I didn't get up this a.m., so will do my run after work.  This time I'll be smart enough to wear my headlamp since, yeah, Leslie, it's dark by 5:30! Roll eyes

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey folks............3 easy miles this evening.

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

7.3 er tonight in 15* and clear. Florida's going to be nice! No skirts for me! I'm only running a third of the Disney miles as Arla. And half of OMat.

No skirts for me! I'm only running a third of the Disney miles as Arla. And half of OMat.

Too bad about the skirt.  And what? on the other two comments.  I thought you were doing the marathon.

7.12 miles in 1:12 this evening, with 7 hill strides and 1 long hill repeat.  In retrospect, I think my forced lay-off was a good thing as, although I'm slower than before the injury, I'm feeling strong right now.  It feels good!  My poor toe, though, is killing me.  Waaaa!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

To the Disney folks.....arla, OM, and Joe..........good luck and enjoy!

Looking forward to hearing the stories.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

I thought you were doing the marathon.

Nope, only half of the Relay Marathon. My kid sister (50years old) and I are a team of two. This will be her second half marathon ever. She ran her first a couple of months ago.

flatland mountaineer

To the Disney folks.....arla, OM, and Joe..........good luck and enjoy!

Looking forward to hearing the stories.

Ya, what Ev said!

A couple 3-4 milers so far this week. Supposed to be mid 60's here today, tv said warmer than Fresno, just ain't right I tell ya!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Joe - Aha!  Now I understand.  Are your families going with you to make it a real vacation?

Jim - You're part of the country is going to be warmer than Fresno??  Strange, indeed.

1 hr of core/strength training this morning and will put in 3 EZ miles tonight after work.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance